beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

Yuck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427938485.137917.jpg

Hope krausen is good ... I've only noted the word in the context of it clogging airlocks ... assuming it's the dried foam or ? ...

I was poking around a couple of hours ago, trying to figure out what keg life is like ...

Well, building a fermentation chamber controller just got a bit better, I was looking for a new STC-1000 for another project and found one programmed to for Fahrenheit. It an STC-1000F, just google it when your reade to build one.

STC1000F_zpsvwiqsyho.png

Based on the length of time it takes to brew, I'll likely move to larger batch sizes rather quickly ...

I am trying to at least and get an idea how it's turning out, first, though ...

Trying ...
UPDATE: based on the waning more-active activity in the 2nd batch, I could probably transition it to an airlock, but it's more convenient to get my work week wrapped up tonight, cook these damn chicken wings for the contest tomorrow ... I forgot to order more fermenter jugs, so I'll have to brew into plastic buckets if I get a wild hair this weekend ...

warm ferm temps, I'm assuming, or a yeast that works well in warmer climate?

WLP565 vs Wyeast 3724?

Looks like the Wyeast is geared towards my ambient temp, whereas WL suggests 68F ...

I don't think you did any damage as the temp didn't get too aweful high. My first ones got up into the 90's for a bit and still came out pretty good. Just get them back down to temp and set a good reminder so you do t forget again.

I don't think you did any damage as the temp didn't get too aweful high. My first ones got up into the 90's for a bit and still came out pretty good. Just get them back down to temp and set a good reminder so you do t forget again.

yeah, they can't really get past 73, ever, probably - here ...

they are in an unused bedroom w/ the door closed, which is the coolest room all times of day except sunrise ...

Here's a guy's blog I've never shared on THP before ...

He does a lot of sous vide stuff, and sous vide isn't popular at the THP ...

That said, when I brew up a Blue Moon clone (a goto beer at the regular grocery), I think I'll bake one of these to pair w/ it: http://stefangourmet.com/2015/04/04/pastiera-napoletana/

i did buy a stir plate ... using dry yeast works like shit for baking, so i'm sure getting it all happy in advance of pitching it will provide improved results, or at least fast acting (probably?) ...

It appeared the price for one from scientific supply started at like $85, and the more fully-festured option from the brewing places was only like $25-35 more, so I went w/ the latter ...

Not really interested in modding a computer or harddrive for it, I'm afraid ...

some data on mash pH ...

Enzymes-in-the-Mash.gif

I've been plotting my sous vide mashed beer, in parallel ...

I'm aggregating a lot of different opinions to come up w/ what follows, but it looks like something like below is a good incremental process for manaing the temp over time in the sous vide ...

5 mins at 126F
30 mins at 144F
20 mins at 162F
15 mins at 170F

That's 70 mins in plateau, with 5 mins for the 1st and 2nd temp transition, and 10 mins for the middle one ...

Always be experimenting, too.
http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/12/primary-only-vs-transfer-to-secondary-exbeeriment-results/

So, if I bottle straight out of primary, there's kind of a lot that I can deduce from my brewing of the initial brews ...

If I re-rack, there's going to be more ambiguity, and the re-racking will probably be the pariah if things don't turn out, which would mask straight up brewing error, and increase the chance of brewing more bad beer going forward ...

Can anyone offer advise on bottling? ... I ordered a bottle filler, have bottles and caps and el cheapo capper ...

Will an auto-siphon maintain siphoning potential if I attach a bottle filler to the end of the tube - as in, will i bottle directly from primary (without a spigot)? ... it kind of seems like I should buy a spigoted bucket to sanitize and use for an intermediate container for bottling - amirite? ...

(Have to order something and give it time to get here for next weekend) ...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Back