beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

So, Wheebz was giving me a hard time in my Bock thread: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57204-gms-bock-die-sechste-welle/?p=1221241

There's always something to learn when that happens, so I've been digging around in white papers for days ...

Here's some bulletpoints and info I've gained since:

Lagering

- SO2 in solution keeps beer from staling during lagering.
- SO2 content correlated strongly with the ability of the beer to remain unoxidized.
- Sulfur odors will be mostly dissipated by itself, once the keg is vented.
- Overcarbing to 20-30 psi & venting a few times can scrub a lot of sulfur, quickly.
- Ensure yeast nutrient is rich in zinc, specifically. Servomyces is a good add for all beers.
- Aeration is increasingly important for lagers, and a feelgood in terms of hurdle theory.
- Brett, Lacto, and Pedio are microaerophilic, hence growing well in barrels.
- Post-ferment sulfur is likely mercaptan removable by contact with copper (penny in a glass test).
- Yeast selection, lower temperature, and yeast nutrients help lower H2S in the first place.
- There's an old rule of thumb to double all yeast counts for a lager - it's probably a poor model, though.
- Wort chilling is key for lagers, below 60F, and better yet at 55F or below.
- Diacetyl rest in primary recommended to give the yeast a chance to warm up and scrub.
- Most old texts recommend not moving the temp more than 5F/day, but this is iffy now.
- Lagering should always be below 40F, but most are going down to 32-34F commercially.
- Lagering length can be ballparked by 7-12 days per 2 degrees Plato OG. 1 Plato equals roughly 4 points of SG. 3-7 days for lighter beers.
- Lagers are increasingly flavor-stable and hold up well to being kept cool, but not necessary cold when done. It's more important to limit the fluctuation.
- Reducing the trub and dissolved oxygen in wort reduces hydrogen sulfide.
- Top-fermenting yeasts produce less than bottom-fermenting yeasts all other factors being the same.
- Autolysis caused by high osmotic pressure, extremely high temp, long-term storage, and sudden environmental changes. The normally encapsulated digestive enzymes are released and destroy the cell from the inside.
- Most of these come from the barley, and Canadian barley is known to produce a lot of DMS. Continental 2-row barley has been found to give a more refined sulfury flavor than midwestern six-row. Levels of SMM increase with protein content, thus British malts contribute negligible amounts of SMM compared to the others.
- 8% evaporative loss is the minimum amount needed to remove DMS, which has a boiling point of 100F.
- Cooling should proceed quickly through the ~140F point, where SMM converts to DMS.
- Don't mistake a lack of air-lock activity for a problem as cooler wort stores much more CO2 before it would appear in the airlock. Checking for a decrease in pH can be satisfying for knowing fermentation is taking place.
- You DO want to remove trub and cold break before lagering. They use sedimentation tanks, centrifuges, and bubbling it out.
- Expect a long lag time for lagers, 16-36 hrs is common.
- Lagers are a good candidate for a thermowell so you are controlling the temp of the beer during the part where fermentation slows, as opposed to probing the environment.
- Lots of yeast scientists for products recommend pitching close to 75F, even for lagers, but most homebrewers have found it's better to pitch cold, closer to fermentation temp, to avoid the shock as a priority. Kai says to keep it below 54F, and that 48F is better.
- Controlled use of pressure following the budding allows for control of ester and higher alcohol production at higher temperatures.

Here's a f**king beautiful chart from Kai:

Lager_fermentation_charts.gif

And one w/ the verbal conclusions:

Lagering_under_pressure.png

Also worth a read was George Fix's "Lagering - Is It Worth The Effort?" makes some interesting points:

Chill Proofing - ice brewing procedure where beer is reduced to a couple of degrees BELOW the beer's freezing point (gravity-dependent) and tiny ice crystals form and scrub the beer of haze etc. In his words, extensive research proves the resultant beer to be entirely chill proofed. The temp is around 27.9F for normal strength beers, and contact time as little as an hour.

Select yeast which have very low bacterial and mutant levels, and kraeusening the beer with fresh wort and yeast is more reliable than increased lagering time.

Fermentations conducted at ambient temperatures (65-68F) should end with all relevant sulfur compounds well below their threshold. An exception usually indicates infection by gram-megative microbes.

Widespread agreement that too much control of sulfur leads to an insipid beer, and some sulfur is important as an oxygen scavanger and is key to the excellent flavor stability of the style. Fix finds that most sulfurs can be reduced by 1 week at 32-36F.

Fix says pitching rate is more critical to sulfur production than strain. Rate should be 1-2 million cells per ml for each degree Plato. Using very large starters can lead to excess sulfur, and create an variety of off-flavors due to yeast autolysis - and is why the double-everything from day's old isn't a good model.

Lagering depends on having living yeast to esterify fusel alcohols, and thusly must proceed the ice brewing stage.

Dry hopping during lagering is a good technique, and you get approx 1 month of resultant flavor from 1 month of contact time. Lagers are traditionally naturally carbonated during the lagering.

People sensitive to carbonic acid, who dislike gassy beers, tend to prefer by a wide-margin the flavor of beers made with natural carbonation when CO2 levels are in excess of 2.4 vols. CO2 might be more tightly bound up with other constituents.

Some new terms:

Jungbuket - the smell of fresh beer

Spundungsapparat - system w/ Spunding valve to naturally carbonate in accord with German Beer Purity laws.

A strain rec from ProBrewer from my day spent researching:

Augustiner lager strain - reportedly low in production of sulfur esters, pitched into 50F, fermented at 54F, spunding places 1 Plato above target gravity. 4 days of diacetyle rest at ferm temp, chilled to 38F for 10d, and finally down to 30F for 2 days.

The best few of the many things I read:

Kai: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers

Finally, a shortened method worth trying: http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

And some more Brulosophy on fermenting under pressure:
- http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/27/under-pressure-the-impact-of-higher-psi-fermentations-exbeeriment-results-2/
- http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/07/under-pressure-pt-2-the-impact-of-pressurized-fermentation-on-saison-xbmt-results/

I'm hustling way ahead at work to ensure an imminent brew day ...

Can't really overstate how handy those Fast Pitch cans of wort are going to be in terms of more spontaneous brew day's ...
Negotiating every-other-day brew day's starting tomorrow and lasting through Sunday to put 3x batches in a cycle together through the open freezer ...

Can do one stout extract brew on the day I'm least interested (Friday or Sunday) ...

Working on it ;)

Looking forward to brewing ...

I'm either going to brew Wheebz sekret stout, or a follow-up iteration of the brewing of Darkness Everybody aimed at improving the perceived thickness, AND getting those lost gravity points.

Probably go w/ Wheebz recipe, though ...

Ozzy2001 said:
I'm hoping I'll have time to brew Sunday. Birthday parties and sh!t all weekend.

My plan is to run out for groceries in an hour or two, and then come back and keep working tonight, instead of quitting like usual on a Friday ...

To do a little work tomorrow after morning coffee, but then spend most of the afternoon/evening on the TD ...

Then to wrap up my work through Thursday on Sunday, watch the Bucs game and chillax a bit, and then not have to work at all on Monday ...

For an relaxing, daytime brew-day on Monday ...

That sounds like a plan.  I want to go home now...but I won't.  Would like to pick up a few things for the TD tonight so I can make it tomorrow.  Wife told me we are going over friends house on sunday to watch the Jets game...IT IS FUCVKING AT 9:30 AM....she doesn't like or watch football.  She will owe me.....

there's yer brew day leniency ;)

man, i'm wh00ped! ...

clocked just under 80 billable hrs so far, with more to do yet this week ...

but, i managed most of what i needed, i think ... hoping to enter the td ...
lol, i've been choosing digestif all along ...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/have-a-homebrew-after-dinner/

those are the beer varieties i select!

One of my steaks was punctured, so I took advantage of the opportunity to compare/contrast ...

SV/Sz bests Iwatani + lo'bake ...

There's really no contest!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443838404.405820.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443838413.886855.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443838424.385867.jpg

CHEERS!
Oops, wrong thread, LOL ...

#OpGastropub

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443838633.052360.jpg

There, now it's brewing related ...

That Bock thread may never get it's beer ...

While enjoying the symphony of turbo/blow-off on the 1st open-windows day this Fall, on my way to grab Founders Breakfast Stout, I finally knew something that I've felt for a long time - I'm primarily only brewing porters/stouts. I'll buy the other beers, there's certainly plenty of fucking shelf space and tap handle slots dedicated to them already.

I am going to be exploring doing some alt's using saison, lager, other yeast, and trying to manage the dynamics of leveraging some room-temp processes (pressure-fermentation and whatever else I find/learn) to make it happen ...

I am about to alternate my brew day's: to put as much beer into stock as I can, and to brew it as best I can - with no short-cut's, on the one brew day, and to try to push the limits and get a feel for the 'handles/axis of control' - hopefully just crossing the boundaries of drinkability - on the alternating brew sessions ...

It's pouring out ... and it's unusually calm and quiet in my house, for a change ... and I was just thinking about how important I think it is to try to make the beer that you are passionate about - as a homebrewer.

The fact is, I don't have to make beer for anyone else, and the most valuable thing I can possibly create is going to be whatever the most-inspired thing is, in all likelihood ...

I have to contort reality and pretend that I'm nearly as passionate about any style of beer than stout, and there's a real and definite possibility that I may never homebrew another kind of beer, again.

The thought of that makes me smile, and is kind of exciting.

Feel free to gamble on how long that lasts, I realize, but I've always known what I want from this, and that's year-round stout ...

And now ... rainy-day beer and football instead of smoking pork for the TD ...

I'm choosing work tonight for brew day tomorrow night over TD entry ... but I'll still be cooking stout-kahlua pork in the coming days!

:CHEERS:

TD had to be skipped and a ridiculous amount of work had to be done to be able to brew later 'today' (after I sleep) ... FFS.

Anyways, I did it ... barely ...

I'm going to formulate a recipe that I can pull off without having made a starter and just brew it tomorrow ...

I happen to have stocked up on killer bottles a couple of weekend's in a row now, and I'm in good enough shape that I can brew an experimental recipe later and survive if it bombs ...

Time to formulate something and pass the fuck out ...

Combining some things that I want to explore tonight, while taking a shot at JayT's beer ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444085829.882728.jpg

Yummy sizzurp ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444085845.042228.jpg

Going to steep the dark grains separately ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444085864.814570.jpg

Mashing in the base malts ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444085879.278812.jpg

And the specialty grains ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444085997.722542.jpg

Stole ingredients from a different beer ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444086031.791605.jpg

This is the good shit ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444086050.328015.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444086060.506621.jpg

KISS

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444086078.777396.jpg

;)

Well, this ought to be interesting ...

I got it down to 82F without needing a second recirculatory system, so I just gave it 90 seconds of O2 at 1.5L since it was a bit warm ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444099726.743657.jpg

I "sparged" a little today ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444099780.398274.jpg

And some more ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444099805.865004.jpg

I skimmed my hot break today, too ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444099912.319580.jpg

The boil gods were w/ me today, it was a nice mounded boil ...

Used the hop basket, too ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444100472.800221.jpg

Don't fear the foam ... they say ... more than I like ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444100179.684343.jpg

Pitched a pair of US-05's ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444100285.122156.jpg

Setup a blow-off through the gas post, and placed it in a 65F chamber ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444100373.915277.jpg

OG = 1.1045

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444099037.269674.jpg

I named it ...

Bhut Subduction at Pitch Lake

Should be a doozy ...

RocketMan said:
Ok GM, time to Posty up, what was the grain bill?

low-integrity ... haha ...

I would post it now, but having borrowed some ingredients from a recipe that I previously agreed not to post, I'd feel better about getting permission first ...

And really, let's see if this one turns out to be drinkable, first ...

I'm currently taking my licks over in email after sending it to Wheebz earlier =)
http://youtu.be/fAJYIoUTgfQ

Back