beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

Danielle just poured me a double coffee drink ... I have to start working on it, tonight, if I'm going to squeeze in another batch of beer this Saturday ...

Still, I'd like to cook that pork, tomorrow ...

I picked up some pork to do a stout-kahlua pork for the TD last weekend and couldn't manage to stop working long enough to cook it ...

Tomorrow, hopefully ...

I have to rally on work - hence working, now - to be able to make the time to brew a batch on Saturday, and celebrate w/ my mom for her birthday on Sunday ...

Want to put 3x batches in quick succession into the chamber, and then they can ferment/crash/condition/(age) while I drink from the other freezer ...

Basically, trying to turn over sets of three's and alternate between the two freezers instead of running batches through both, if you will ...

CHEERS!

RocketMan said:
Ok, I totally understand about the grain but, you lost me on the pork. What pork is that pork?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=5174181&postcount=26

The recipe is in that 50% base, 50% specialty/adjunct region, it made it to 1.105 at 55% efficiency, and I steeped the dark grains and flaked rye separately to try to keep the pH6 filtered tap water from becoming too acidic in the mash of the base grains, and because the flaked rye seems to be happy at a lower temp ...

I made it to 1 Plato below the target OG, so that's pretty cool. 55% efficiency for a liquor at that concentration isn't terrible - for BIAB anyways ...

It's intentionally a little bit under hopped, a little bit over roasted barley'd, a lotta bit heavy on the dextrine-y and C-grains, and was step mashed up to 158F and then mashed out to try to combat losing the chewy mouth-feel I want to explore - which is, I guess, hindered doing BIAB for running a 'thin' mash ... and also, because US-05 is sort of regarded as beast-like attenuation ...

The ghost pepper maple syrup is pretty damn spicy, and I used the whole shebang, so there's a normal-for-batch-size amount of lactose added ... but also, I added maltodextrin ...

It's basically wrong on paper, but I mean - Wheebz said superhot beers work like shit - might as well try something out of the usual and hope for a happy outcome than just prove out that supers make shitty beer (especially since Wheebz hasn't been wrong yet) ...

Cool, I'll check it out.

I used lactose one time in a beer and really didn't care much for how it cam out. Of course it was a partial and I was not very happy with how the brew came out overall. I'll be trying it again as an AG but I'll leaver out the lactose.

Yeah, using super hots in beers or really any alcoholic beverage is touchy at best. The alcohol intensifies the heat so much it's easy to make it dang near undrinkable because you used a quarter of a pepper and it's just too darn hot to drink and enjoy.

Oh, and be sure to check out this Fermentation!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/42012-rocketmans-theriac/?p=1225941

wheebz said:
belgian amber today

awww yissss

44% marris otter
44% 2 row
4% C-120
4% C-20
4% Aromatic

and 25 pounds of Dextrose for 5bbls

For reference, because I don't think I've had an example of the style otherwise, that's along the lines of Fat Tire, I guess, right? ...

I've sometimes picked that up from Publix, in a pinch ... and it worked nicely to braise a corned beef once, here.

It's more fun now that you are brewing too =)

tctenten is going to get started in like 10 days or so, too ... I'm going to brew a couple gallons of the kit beer I sent him, so that'll be fun to have the same beer in tandem ...

With RM brewing this week, Rairdog's gotten off to a good start, Ozzy's got it going on, I'm in a brewing period, and Waffle Bum mentioned he would be brewing a batch (although I'm not sure he'll post it up here) ...

We seem to have lost HTH along the way, I'm afraid ...

CHEERS!

wheebz said:
the one I am brewing today is more like a Chimay Red Cap

Ok, I've had that one too ... nice beers.

I tried the 3x colors some year's ago, and I typically buy them (or Duval or Westmalle or Rochefort) when I'm going to someone's house for dinner ...

Makes for a nice common-ground for craft AND 'normal' import drinker's, IMO ...

wheebz said:
belgian amber today

awww yissss

44% marris otter
44% 2 row
4% C-120
4% C-20
4% Aromatic

and 25 pounds of Dextrose for 5bbls

Sooooooo, does this mean that the brewery is up and chugging out the brewskis?

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

nah this is for another side project I am working on for someone else

also, I might have just gotten a brewery consultation job for a new one opening in Brooklyn, which should pay pretty nicely, hopefully 2 grand or so

nah this is for another side project I am working on for someone else

also, I might have just gotten a brewery consultation job for a new one opening in Brooklyn, which should pay pretty nicely, hopefully 2 grand or so

:cheers:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444244211.724756.jpg

the Charliewine is good to go, now ...

if you include an addy in one of the emails, i've got three beers worth sending now - and that'll force me to do some bottling via the BG ... been lazy about that so far ...

I was thinking about it, and there's nothing wrong w/ posting this recipe ...

I wouldn't use it, though ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444321621.556267.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444321633.091656.jpg

;)

*** The maltodextrin, lactose, and bhut syrup were added with 10-15 mins left in the boil, not to the mash like it says.

RocketMan said:
Dang GM, you working on the highest number of different grains used in a single brew award or what :)

That's one crazy grain bill!

I took advantage of the brewing opportunity to try to pull EVERY lever to increase perceived mouthfeel on it ... short of using a yeast that's inherently less attenuative (this time) ...

I thickened the mash by putting 5 qts of the 19 qts total in the steeping grains, I step-mashed and the last step was 158F (also mashed out), I used lactose and maltodextrin and flaked oats and flaked rye, and I brewed it big ...

If that doesn't get me some sizzurp, I'll be doing multiple mashes, boiling down, or continuing to try to find 'it' ...

I used the whole bags (1 lb) of most all of them, yup ...

I wanted to see if I could find the other side of the line in terms of mouthfeel and to then be able to dial it back from that point going forward instead of trying to incrementally get closer to it over a bunch of brews.

My D.E. stout is great ... I tasted great and I like it ... but it's not thick and chewy, and I want to be able to create stout w/ that quality or I'm failing on my mission ...

We'll see ...

Wow...crazy grain bill.  I just picked up another 2-5gal AG's today.  I'm trying Bee Caves Hefe and Haus PA off HBT.   20 dollar grain/hop bills are nice.  They are both 10 day ferments.  It's a bad time of year for me to spend money and venture into the multi grain bills.  I do want to  try some ambers and maybe lagers when it cools down a bit more.   

I thought it's best to keep the flavored grains at 20%.  Is that what the malto addition is for?

I want to try some barley wine.  Whats it taste like?  I just heard about it the last few weeks when doing my homework. 

Rairdog said:
Wow...crazy grain bill.  I just picked up another 2-5gal AG's today.  I'm trying Bee Caves Hefe and Haus PA off HBT.   20 dollar grain/hop bills are nice.  They are both 10 day ferments.  It's a bad time of year for me to spend money and venture into the multi grain bills.  I do want to  try some ambers and maybe lagers when it cools down a bit more.   

I thought it's best to keep the flavored grains at 20%.  Is that what the malto addition is for?

I want to try some barley wine.  Whats it taste like?  I just heard about it the last few weeks when doing my homework. 

I think what you said about the 20% is true ...

Malto is an unfermentable carbohydrate that can add to the body of a beer ... I think Wheebz was kind of saying it's more used to give body to really light beers, more than how I'm using it here, I guess ...

Most people would use one thing to kick it up, maybe two ... I tried everything all at once, because I think BIAB is inherently shittier for having a thin mash ... I mean, at the vert least, the extended mashing time of such a big beer is going to give the enzymes more time to divide and conquer and shorten the chains ...

On barleywine ... it's kind of like an old ale, if you are familiar ... it's got that booziness like wee heavy/scotch ale ... I'm terrible at describing beer styles, though - mostly because I just don't care about them ...

in my case, not wanting to own a brewery or become a brewmaster - I'm in this to make myself the best beer I can ... or really, to make the beer that I enjoy the most ...

I really don't care if anyone else likes it ... the fact that 95% of the shelf space is dedicated to light lagers and ipa's if proof just how poor tasted the collective "everyone" is IMO =)

Most people might not want a beer that's too thick, or a beer that's that too sweet ... but I might, I don't know ... I'm going to find out, though ... it's just how I work ...

I'm looking for the extremes now, and then I'll live within the confines once I've found them ...

I'm just that guy ...
Charliewine ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444364332.074075.jpg

Back