beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

Thinking about rocking out a five gallon batch using the extract kit this evening ...

Just to fill the chamber ...

BSG True Brew Oaked Imperial Stout ...

Complete with powdered oak and four kinds of dry and liquid extracts, lol ...
I think I can whip this up ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445806827.665997.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445806835.547118.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445806844.447379.jpg

If you do then if you have any left over Caramel, Crystal, Black Patent or other speciality grains and some Rolled Oats in the pantry, steep some up and add it. It will come out better.

The large carboy that I have was a hand-me-down, and I'm not sure if it's a 5 gal or 6.5 gal ...

I was JUST lazy enough that not knowing kept me from brewing my first batch using extract yesterday, LOL ...

The kit I have is for a 5 gallon batch, but that would make a huge mess in a corny without overpressure and fermcap-s to keep the krausen down ...

That little bit of bs was just enough to keep me at bay on a Sunday afternoon, after a true-to-form Buccaneer's failure to get it done =)

Enjoying a nice fermentation story on this latest batch ...

2.5 days and still clipping right along w/ sub-second bubbles ...

I raised the temp .5F yesterday, and that much again today, to 68F ...

I hope this one finishes out nicely for me, without any BS =) ...

grantmichaels said:
The large carboy that I have was a hand-me-down, and I'm not sure if it's a 5 gal or 6.5 gal ...

Get an empty gallon milk jug or even a half gallon, fill it with water and pour it into the carboy. Count how many go in and you'll know how many gallons it holds, Easy Peasy :)

But then you knew that, didn't you ;)

RocketMan said:

Get an empty gallon milk jug or even a half gallon, fill it with water and pour it into the carboy. Count how many go in and you'll know how many gallons it holds, Easy Peasy :)

But then you knew that, didn't you ;)

Yeah, I just didn't feel like it ... the container that was free was only 2Qt ;) ...

Watching the Bucs blow it from a 24-0 lead left me somewhat sapped of motivation ...

I should know better than to watch!
RocketMan said:
Come on Spanky are you a "Max Me Out" kind of guy or not?

:cool:

LOL. I missed this one somehow ... which is funny, because I liked it previously ... so I'll blame Tapatalk =)

So, I posted elsewhere, but for continuity in this thread ...

Going w/ zero automation of the brewing, and I guess possibly zero mod of the equipment, but am going to improve the automation of the fermentation schedule (for US-05, at least), and be a little bit less lazy w/ everything post-boil, where I've been lazy thus far ...

This should turn out to be interesting for you, tctenten ...

100 qt cooler, unmodified
82 qt kettle, unmodified
immersion chiller
pond pump for ice water
autosiphon
mash/whirlpool paddle
1/2 silicone tubing
brew-in-a-bag bag
garden hose

I'm not even planning to add a ball valve if I can get away without it ...

I'm positing that a hidden benefit turns out to be that the less you mod, the simpler the cleaning is, and the more sure you can be that it's actually sanitized ...

I plan to try to use the least amount of shit, just as voraciously as I was about trying using everything ...

Shifting the focus to side-by-side's, SMaSH's, yeast ranching/lifecycle measuring/monitoring, and to create profiles for my temp-controller to handle the ramping etc automatically, for US-05 at least ...

For all the technical complexity that I am dropping, I am planning to probably add water manipulation to the equation for the stouts ...

I need to find a DIPA that I really like, too, so I'm going to take an initial stab at brewing something that I want to come out along the lines of Deviant Dale's, and then tweak it over a few iterations ...

Basically though, aside from that, I am going to deep-dive on stout ...

Rye stout ... oatmeal stout ... milk stout ... stout made using WLP810 ... stout with oak chips ... stout blended with coffee ... or port ... etc ...

I plan to experiment with single-gallon, stove-top batches to try to find a recipe for a stout that comes out tasty with whatever room temp fermentation of US-05 throw off ...

That's the only experiment ... and it's more of an imperative! =)

That is a big ass cooler and kettle.  You have a completely different set of problems due to you temps down there too.  Luckily I have been able to ferment in what is our room temperature. 

Does that mean that your going to dump the reprogramming of the STC1000 or just not use the freezer at all?

Interesting you mention SMaSH, the homebrew club over here is having s SMaSH computation. They issue you the hops and you choose the base malt. Thinking I might have to try and play around with that some later on.

Interesting you want no automation after your start and how gear crazy you were

If anything I'm going deeper w/ the STC, actually ...

I've been mostly just changing the set point and the hysterisis setting, but I'm going to program the ramping and ferm schedules and come up w/ pre-programmed profiles going forward ...

I've already done it just to test the programmer works, I just haven't been doing it ...

I'm just trying the other extreme now to see how it feels and to change my focus a little bit, is all ...

I'll end up in the middle, I think ... in the long run.

I don't truly believe that I'll end up w/o a ball valve and spigot on the kettle in the long run, or that I won't find a use for pumps, but I want to make sure that it's worth the added complexity ...

You know, since you can't roll back mods ... once the kettle's punched, it's punched ...

And ... what if it's soooo much easier to clean for being smooth and continuous and for not having the hardware and hidden crevices? ...

The CIP after brewing for the plate chiller is a pain point ...

I just want to be sure, is all ...

A lot of the hoopla stuff applies more to other styles than the one's I like ...

Doesn't look like dry-hopping, whirlpool hopping, sour mashing etc are going to be a big part of what I want to do for the foreseeable future ...

I do plan to address water, though ... probably ...

Also, I've been buying pre-milled grist, and from my coffee experience, I know there will be flavor improvements for grinding more directly before brewing ... so I want to do that ...

I'm not sure why I've been buying my grains separated, either ...

I should have just ordered the grains pre-milled and in the same bag, to the recipe spec amounts, instead of buying a pound each and then having to weigh each time etc ... that's been stupid and unnecessary ...

I just want to see what's it's like to keep it really stripped down and just brew it up myself since I'm standing there the whole time anyways ...

The whole mash temp thing is wacky, too ... in the end you want to hit the rests and stuff, steps or whatever ... different temp regions to get conversion ... so you have to drive the process to do that, so you aren't really free ...

And I mean, if you are BIAB w/ recirc mash, you still have to stir or you don't get good enough extraction ...

I tasted the grains from the side of the bag where the recirc entered, and from the other side, and the side w/ the recirc was overextracted and I could taste the tannins, and the other side still had flavor ... so that made me stop and stir more, which negated the automation ...

I will say, though, that the BIAB bag material is a better filter than bazooka screening, by a mile ... the liquor remains really clean if you use a dedicated, high quality BIAB bag ...

So ... I don't know ... yeah ... I'm going to see what it's like to just do it ... now that I know how to brew, technically, I just want to see if it's not easy to do using basic stuff now that I know what I'm doing in terms of the steps/activities ...

It's taken 6-7 hours to brew regular-gravity beers, and 8-10 hrs to brew huge beers ... that's too long for a 2.5-3 gallon result ...

The pre-cleaning, pre-sanitizing, rinsing, mashing, boiling, chilling, back-flushing, CIP, tear down routine is extensive w/ all the gear ....

What if it's just wash the cooler w/ PBW, throw the bag in, mash in, rinse w/ the hose after mashing out ...

In my case it's going to mostly be bittering hops at 60min for most of the beer I want to brew, and that's it in terms of the boil ... no fancy shit, it's stout ... there's not much in the way of complicated hop schedules etc etc ...

The grain bill for the stouts even self-correct my filtered tap water for the most part ... which has been mostly around 6 or 7 of late ...

I just have a feeling my time and focus might be better spent on some other aspects that I haven't explored yet ... variations in secondary ... oak, purees, coffee, blending etc ...

We'll see!

But yeah ... I'm brewing batch and using an paddle, and immersion chiller, and an autosiphon before I do any build work ... and I'll be happiest if I don't feel the need to use much of it ...

I think the batch size is going to made a huge difference in quality ... the increased specificity of measuring makes a huge difference, I bet ... I know it did for making soap.

:cheers:

tctenten said:
That is a big ass cooler and kettle.  You have a completely different set of problems due to you temps down there too.  Luckily I have been able to ferment in what is our room temperature. 

It's not that big, but it's big ... and trust me, having shit near capacity f**king sucks ... it's a shitty, stressful mess ...

If you like big beers (I do), plan for 3x the space of your final gallons in the kettle for BIAB ... so that 20 gallon in the kettle is probably a very comfortable vessel to do a nice 5-6 gallon batch of a 12% beer BIAB ... or 10-12 gallons having run-off wort from the cooler into it for normal size beers ...

I can run off a lot of liquor from the cooler

Ozzy2001 said:
Wow. That's a crazy amount of time. I would say it takes me about 3-4hrs tops and that's cleaning everything out and putting it away when I'm done.

I mean, some of it has been because of the recipes I've been trying to brew, but some of it is definitely due to having a lot of things to clean and sanitize ...

I've ended up having to mash the last 3-4x beers for two hours, though ... those beers were all huge ... and I've been doing a nice complete 90-100 minute boil after doing all that research on SMM/DMS(O) ...

But, yeah ... it's going to be interesting, certainly ...

One thing I am buying in the near future is a secondary regulator ...

From a service perspective ... that's worth having ... I want to be able to put the beers in service at the exact PSI on a per-beer basis ...

While I realize you can shorten and lengthen the tap lines to work it out, I'm not interested in having all that line in my keezer ...

I'm getting a secondary sooner than later =) ...

A little update ...

The Bhut Subduction batch has pressurized in the keg a little bit, so there's some small-scale fermentation still taking place in there ...

The more recent stout, brewed using Wheebz recipe, is still fermenting ...

The blow-off bubbles are down to every 2-3 seconds, temp has been ramped .5F every 12 hrs and is up to 70F at present ...

It's made it a full 5 days this evening, which is a good sign of the beer having decent attenuation this time, I think ...

looking forward to creating a recipe tonight \m/ ...

the only constraint is that it has to be built upon maris otter, because that's the only fresh grain that i've got besides some 6 month old pre-milled pilsner malt ...

i have a bunch of specialty grains, hops, and yeast ... so i'll figure something out and get it brewed up ...

Back