beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

From what I've read, MO is best for SMaSH testing.  I wish it was the same bulk price as Briess 2 row. 

Go Dolphins...it will be the first football game I've watched in a couple years. 

I think I might do a light-colored beer using primarily maris otter w/ like 8-10% munich and like 1% ea roasted barley and carafa III ... and a combo of columbus and citra probably ...

I guess some WLP001 or WY1056 or US-05 depending on how I feel and what the expiration date story looks like in my shit ...

Have to finish work, grocery shop, and do everything else first ...
Soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446224185.008639.jpg

I might even cackle a little while whirlpool chillin' ...

batches:

1: kit
2: kit
3: kit
4: kit
5:  simple saison recipe, wheebz tweaked the ratio's --> ferm w/ fermwrap at like 90F during early ferm days == mad solvent/phenols/esters
6: kit
7: kit
8: i built D.E. stout recipe by dropping the cacao and some other grain from a kit based on a Stone 12th Anniv recipe, and added some other stuff, and then wheebz tweaked it by canceling a redundant grain --> beer's good
9: i built a recipe for charliewine, wheebz tweaked it, and then i tweaked that --> beer sucks
10: i built a recipe for bhut subduction at pitch lake, showed it to nobody so it wouldn't get tweaked --> undetermined as of yet, but probably not that good
11: this last one is wheebz recipe, executed as given -> likely will be great

hope you see the pattern ;)

So, I spent a few hours formulating a recipe to scratch my itch for doing an DIPA using Cal Ale and Columbus hops having read that Oskar Blues makes Deviant Dale's using WLP001 and that that beer is a boat-load of Columbus through and through ...

But, I don't brew this style often, and I also am very curious about the taste of the Galaxy, Citra, Falconer hops that aren't likely to have much prominence in stout recipes ...

Also, separately, this is my attempt at a grist that's likely to make the backbone of an IPA-style beer that I might like to drink, as a person who doesn't appreciate the majority of instances of the style. It's more like the conceptual alt-PA of my dreams, I guess you could say. That could end badly, and I'm ok with that. You might have noticed how much less attached I am to the lighter-colored beers when it comes time to dump or not, lol ...

It's worth mentioning in advance that some of the ingredients in small relative quantity are there in an attempt to affect the color/style of foam, and to try to round it out a little bit, and to connect the hops to what I imagine will be a pretty malty backbone.

Right before I turned it in to Wheebz, I revised it to confine my tomfuckery to a smaller percentage of the total grain bill, just to account for me being me.

I asked Wheebz specifically to scan it for anything that would "RUIN" it ... and so while he approved it a few mins ago in email, that doesn't preclude him allowing me to learn something the hard way =)

I was planning to hit it a second time w/ O2 like I did with the last batch, but this one's smaller and he told me not to hit again w/ O2 hours after pitching, and I'm going w/ his expertise there and letting this one roll without additional O2 ...

So, here 'tis ...

Red-Eye, PA

3 gal AG w/ 55% Kettle Efficiency (BIAB)

Grist

160 oz MO (85.7%)
 16 oz Munich (8.6%)
    8 oz CaraRed (4.3%)
    2 oz Honey (1.1%)
1/2 oz Whole Roasted Barley (.3%)
1/4 oz Carafa Special III (.1%)

Mash

30m@145F
30-60m@155F to gravity

60 Min Boil + 15 Min Whirlpool

.5 oz Columbus (Pellet) @60min
.5 oz Columbus (Pellet), 1/2 Whirfloc, & Yeast Nutrients @15min

Whirlpool 15 Mins

1 oz Citra (Leaf)
1 oz Columbus (Leaf)

Wrap-Up

Chill <80F & divert into a 5 gallon corny with a blow-off tube attached to the gas post.

Pitch "starter" of 1x package of Safale US-05 stirred through pre-brewing/brewing in a boil-sterilized 1L Erlenmeyer flask with 800mL canned wort (5-8 hrs).

Place into 65F chamber, apply O2 at 3L/s for 30 secs or until bubbling through blow-off apparatus.

Raise chamber temp .5F every 12 hrs up to 70F.

:CHEERS:

Wish me luck, I'm trying to like some beer besides stouts ;)

I am understanding about 70% of your messages now. Hope it is what you are looking for.

i tried to expand the shorthand version i sent wheebz so it was clear ;)
So ...

Next interesting thing ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446258164.345550.jpg

Pours with a huge Belgian-esque head ...

Here's the thing ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446258198.000826.jpg

Cows ...

Stout ...

Farmhouse Ale ...

Has someone delivered on my idea?

https://untappd.com/butternutsbeerandale

"We brew session-style farmhouse ales"

Hmmm ...

It's tasty and truly easy-drinking, albeit light in body ...

"Butternuts Beer and Ale was founded in 2005 and is owned by Chuck Williamson who is also the head brewer. The brewery uses a 14 bbl brewing system and produced 2700 bbls in 2009."

Might have to find out more about this one ;)

"Chuck: As you enter the front of the building you will be in the Brewhouse. This is where the process for the day&rsquo;s brewing begins. There are four vessels in this space each lending to the production process. The first is the mash tun. This is where cracked malt is mixed with tempid water to convert starches into sugar. After a certain process, taking about three hours, the grain is rinsed with more tempid water and collected into the kettle. At this point the solution is sweet wort because it has yet to be hopped. After the volume is collected and hops are added, the wort is boiled for a duration for hop extraction and stability. Post-boil the wort is moved to a whirlpool tank to allow the solids to settle. Once the wort is settled it is pumped through a heat exchanger into a fermentation tank where yeast is added and the fermentation process begins. At this point I lock all the doors in the brewery and make sure there is no one in the building so I do not get trapped in the fermentation room. After about 5 days the beer is cooled and ready to be transfered to the conditioning room in the back. The beer is processed for packaging and either canned or kegged."

"After a certain process, taking three hours ..."

Hmmmm ...

Sour mash? ...

"At this point I lock all the doors in the brewery and make sure there is no one in the building so I do not get trapped in the fermentation room. After about 5 days the beer is cooled and ready to be transfered to the conditioning room in the back."

Interesting ...

http://anotherdraught.blogspot.com/2010/05/butternuts-beer-and-ale-brewery-like.html
Brick-encased kettle ...

https://www.facebook.com/ButternutsBeerandAle/photos/pb.475014572592825.-2207520000.1446263105./475045219256427/?type=3&theater

How do you like that beer? I have not crossed paths with that one yet. The brewery is about an hour away from where I go hunting in NY.

So....

I am going to hold off on bottling tomorrow morning. I want to hear from Wheebz or any of the other guys that bottle first. I also want to take a few more gravity readings to see if it is stable. If it turns out that it is done fermenting and just under attenuated...do I bother to bottle? Or toss and move on?

Definitely brewing one kit on Sunday...maybe two if I feel ambitious.

Beer's quite nice, was surprised ... great flavor for a light beer ...

I downed one in like ... under a minute, lol ...

On your's ...

I believe you bottle if for no other reason than to bottle ...

Maybe rouse and wait a week?

grantmichaels said:
Red-Eye, PA

3 gal AG w/ 55% Kettle Efficiency (BIAB)

Grist

160 oz MO (85.7%)
 16 oz Munich (8.6%)
    8 oz CaraRed (4.3%)
    2 oz Honey (1.1%)
1/2 oz Whole Roasted Barley (.3%)
1/4 oz Carafa Special III (.1%)

Mash into 126F strike water

Might use a little citric acid or pH5.2 today to bring the mash pH down to 5.2 or a 5.6 target if I use citric acid.
Set the attain-then-countdown timer/alarm for 153F and 30min (should take about 45mins, and give some some time for beta-amylase activity along the way).
Check with a refractometer, stir, and continue as needed to hit gravity, up to 100mins max.

60 Min Boil + 15 Min Whirlpool

.5 oz 15.6% AA Columbus (Pellet) @60min
.5 oz 15.6% AA Columbus (Pellet), 1/2 Whirfloc, & Yeast Nutrients @15min

Whirlpool 15 Mins

1 oz 12.9% AA Citra (Leaf)
1 oz 17.8% AA Columbus (Leaf)

Wrap-Up

Immersion-Chill <80F & divert into a 5 gallon corny with a blow-off tube attached to the gas post.

Pitch "starter" of 1x package of Safale US-05 stirred through pre-brewing/brewing in a boil-sterilized 1L Erlenmeyer flask with 800mL canned wort (5-8 hrs).

Place into 65F chamber, apply O2 at 3L/s for 30 secs or until bubbling through blow-off apparatus.

Raise chamber temp .5F every 12 hrs up to 70F.

Updated recipe and procedures to reflect immersion chilling, and the disparity in brand-to-brand and type-to-type AA's between pellet and leaf hops.

I need to do some kegging and maintenance of the Bhut Subduction and Miyagi-Stout batches, and some keg-washing somersaults, and then it's on ...

(That's better.)

I almost bought one of those yeast thingies on my field trip earlier. After I finish my 1 gallon batches and feel like I am more confident in the procedure that is next.

They had the Stirstarters one on display at Love2Brew. There is another brew store www.brewapp.com that is about the same distance and I will visit that one soon. Then when I am ready to level up, I will patronize the store I like better.

tctenten said:
They had the Stirstarters one on display at Love2Brew. There is another brew store www.brewapp.com that is about the same distance and I will visit that one soon. Then when I am ready to level up, I will patronize the store I like better.

I thought the love2brew guy seemed pretty on-the-ball ...

The main reason I've been ordering my grain bill from Stubby's Texas Brewing or whatever it's called is because I felt like the pre-milled grains came w/ less powder/flour and I could wait until Tue to order and still get it in time for the weekend!
Stout check ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446413358.100157.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446413342.362733.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446413300.108136.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446413326.880608.jpg

It was 1.022-1.023, but we'll be conservative and say 1.023 ...

grantmichaels said:
OG = 1.098

For future reference ;)

So ...

miyagi.png

wheebz said:

thats the biggest problem i always see with homebrews, is they are super underattenuated

RULE OF THUMB FOR YOU HOMEBREWERS!!!

If If you dont have at least 75% attenuation, your beer is not finished fermenting yet

just brewed your beer, dude ;) ...

Back