• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GNSLNGR 2013,14, and 1 to grow on 2015!,..Just some pics of another on the go "grow"

The grow begins....pictureless. Because everyone should be able to "minds eye" a picture of dirt. Dirt on the road.....
in the back of an FJ for afew days -parking managed by sun light availability.3 days later 1 65 watt halogen to keep em warm.
On the tenth day(10 days after germ beganso closer to 2 weeks), I head back to the ranch-metaphorically thinking...or typing-whatever;)!

Over watered, because got over dry, sink or swim kids.....if you make it, you will rule!
At this point , they're being fed with 2 strip flourescents and a 90 watt grolight.
One cat thought , awesome, it is warm, the humans fuss over this spot, so I will sleep here.I gently extricate cat, for it knows not what it does. I assume waking up in the air will get my point across, as far as "must not sleep there".Seems to work.Uno , my ever watchful Jack Russell Valkyrie Familiar, drives the exclamation point home by chasing "Lira"up the nearest tree.Not much damage due skillful cat handling ;).

3 weeks....getting a watering schedule dialed, most sprouts have returned to their precat status, and yes some got helped back "up".2 or 3 were brutally uprooted in frustration, which I played off as "Let that be a lesson to the rest of you!".No time for the sissy stuff this year.The missing plants have been split and put into 12 Oz'rs.
4 days after this, all potential plantlets were transplanted into 16/20oz cups. Yes I know"Its way to early said the choir"!!!!
Tough shit, hit the dirt, time to drive back to Houston.So I packed up the truck "and they moved to Beverly....", well Houston.
The next pic you will see one tupperware tray, the little kids get to stay home with the evil princess;).

I talk all this smack , and then notice when I get to Houston that the vibration has toppled half of the plants(narrow bases of the 16 oz cups walking around....ahhh F*ck,"We have casualties on the ground, I need air YESTERDAY! I say again...".Shit , Its 23:30.
In 30 minutes, they have been recupped and dual large bore IV'd.To prevent further damage, I seak out plastic cups at the nearest late night Indian owned gasvenience station.....What about beer you ask?....HeHeHe-I left home fully loaded, on ice, I hate driving around late at night looking for beer. I don't really like doing it for cups either, but you what you gotta do, or won't have a grow.The cups were(and did) to provide buffers for the tippers, and were placed inverted in various places to prevent VIT during additional transit required.Photo bucket crapped out so this is it for episode one.
Have a good one-
DJ

Addition relevant comments:
I believe new grow seeds for this round are all Chinense, and in order of appearance:
First up 1. Peach Bullets -R Alber; 2;Melissa's Black Scorpions Tongues -3 days.
Second up 3. Carolina Reapers-Pepper Joe/Ed Currie; 4. Bhut Jolokia X 7 Pot Douglah-Matt G; 5. 7 Pot Browns-OBN; 8. Bhut Jolokia x Cleo's Dragon-R Alber;-5 days
Third up 9. Jay's Peach Bhut -OBN; 10. Brain Strain Orange-OBN; 11.White Fatalli-R Alber; 12. TS Yellow x Bhut Jolokia Yellow-??, 13. Bhut Jolokia x Chocolate Hab-Matt G-7 days

Failure to lauch :The Pumpkin (not a Butch T)....Bummer, and 2 others......?????
At the end of the next 9 day stretch ,all were tx'd to 20 oz cups, and nice rootage;)
The beasts of the bunch-Melissa's Black Scorpions Tongues, and Then The Bhut Jolokia x Cleo's Dragons, all of which had 6-8 leaves on departing for Ghana.
Beers-
DJ

It's my understanding the larvae are in the potting soil when purchased.

Mosquito Dunks are the bait, kills the larvae, breaks the cycle. Taking them outside if possible helps too, to rid the adults. I had them this year, such a pain.

Rocket:That sounds like a fine combo , the No 1 is a rifle I've always had a soft spot for. The 4.5 -14 x 50 is nice glass, and a perfect fit for 7mm Mag.

Jim:Bottom watering;Not so much as the cause, but more of a major contributor via providing a "perfect environment"-UNLESS its metered perfectly ,and matched to the height / volume of the pots(meaning that it doesn't result in holding to much water before capillary action allows the water to creep up to root level)-the amount of water used is much greater then what is required by the plant to thrive), the amount of saturation leaves soil soaked at the lower levels, and the only way the soil dries out is via evaporation-ie;up through the soil surface, unless the plants are fairy well developed root wise.This leaves a ton of heaven like conditions for the FG's to propagate in. Lots of other issues, settling , anaerobic zones(saturation levels bring this on) and the precipitation of salts(if you have ever seen an old clay pot with white deposits on outside of the pot , or a non porous pot where the deposits form on the surface of the soil, that what causes it) brought on by the evaporation path -bottom to top. The flip side is properly done row gardening where the ditches are flooded, and the water soaks in the ground, so the raised rows don't see water from above ,except rain, and the roots grow down to reach the water. Any one who drip feeds from the surface, can attest to high volume of roots in area at the surface of the soil-which are counterproductive when things get hot and dry, but the drip keeps enough h2o available to alleviate this , so the negatives aren't really noticed ...unless you stop drip watering, talk about a quick wilt when thing get tough....oh hell ,Jim, thats a long winded yes and no isn't it?

Dew:That is my understanding(fungus gnat larvae come in the soil you purchase), especially if you dirt source is selling sacked soil stored outside that gets soaked in the rains, ie:just about every home depot,lowes,wally world etc....Usually I will try to find  dry stored soil, and thats a hit or miss proposition any more isn't it?I have seen the little SOB's fly out of bags sourced from outside storage as soon as I get it home and cut it open.

We left off with the brood under the wife's care , so we'll start upon my return.

This what "They're doing fine" REALLY means.....

To be fair, the f'kin gnats were well established before I left , and one tray had been perlite capped-while the other 2 were not(ran out). After being really dry before I went back to Houston...haha-the "oh shit, he's coming home tomorrow, so I'd better drench em all" syndrome.Dried up dropped leaves(from the lower leaves) means that despite the soaked containers, they had to go a few days w/out water after I left....but I digress...

Hehehe.... and the day after I got home , my reinforcements from John Ford arrive , 14 plants.So "you  had more coming???"..why the hell do you need so many?"
So in reply , I walked her outside to show her the body count(see, I said absolutely nothing thus far to her about any problems with lack of care-because I'm not that stupid!).16 KIA's. 14 new plants. So I still had less then prior to the new arrivals.My only comment was..."thats why". :rolleyes: ...

....she did allude to the fact that "I think you have one of the lights too close"  when I got home, prior to me going out to check on em' LOL.
So there's the ugly, and obvious casualties. Doesn't do well to whine about it, so it was plant EMT time, which I'm now used to. 3 days later I leave to head up to Lake of the Ozarks  with my dad, for a semi annual "shoot out" we have at the lake property.A few more fungus gnat casualties-that were expected, just from how how the survivors looked-but luckily none that I only had a single specimen of.

This magazine is for a 1921 Colt -Thompson Submachine gun, 50 rounds of .45 Auto 230 grn hard ball.Cyclic rate is between 900-1100 rounds per minute.It is fun as hell, to say the least. Like your shooting a TRAIN down range , instead of bullets.

Here is the whole package.

...and the Dogwoods were putting on a show.10 days later I drive back to Tyler with dad, hop in the FJ ,and head home to New Iberia.
Okay-back to pepper plants....

This is the second group started- remediated , dunk powered water, perlite. They are now about 2 inches taller , so its not all gloom and doom :dance: !

The Black Chili(20 oz cup), looking good- none of these even thought about getting stunted and shrunk from from the gnats.

Moruga x Bubblegum 7 Pot cross.

Pimenta Lisa(Stefan) this is one of two , the second one has made its recovery from FG's-it was down to 2-3 leaves.

Black Chili flowers :woohoo:

I'm back in Houston, with a lone Brazilian Ghost Pepper, and a grow light this time-WHEW, the mobile part of this grow is just about done.
Next phase ....-getting em in the ground.

Have a good one-
DJ

Dave, plants are looking good (well, the survivors anyway). Plants from John Ford look nice and healthy. They should do well.

Cyclic rate is between 900-1100 rounds per minute

Ohhh, a class III toy. Nice.  Bet that set you back a little bit of change.

Good on ya for bring your chiles back from the brink! Do you have a soaker hose or drip irrigation setup on a timer for when they go in the ground? That might remove some of the anxiety of leaving the plants alone with Mrs DJ...

Nice '21 Thompson... how heavy is it with a loaded drum mag? 50 rounds of .45 ACP hardball adds up quick.

Andy- The mobile part is a heck of a challenge, but after 2-3 mos of that...no way a few casualties(or whatever else) are gonna deter you from getting those babies in the ground! That will be next guantlet  I run.

Paul-It 'll bring  new meaning to your "Every pod a victory" quote , when they do start podding.

Denniz- My pleasure, more to come......I'm really eager to see what the Mojo Big Brown you sent brings to the table.

Chris-Yes-Hopefully I can get my hands on some of that Live Oak Gardens Sugar Soil next time I get home. Fingers are crossed....and yes, you have to love the Colt -Thompson, that things cracks a huge grin on every face that fires it.Every one.

Jeff-Hell , I wish it was mine-belongs to an ex judge from Kansas City, he brings it up every time just so everyone can get a crack at it. That guy Billy I mentioned in your log(45-70 hot loader) is the judges son.That weapon is worth in the neighborhood of 30,000.00, and its got quite a history.

Penny-Glad you could stop by, this has me wondering about how the plants are doing in the great white north.I'll drop by and see;)

Rick-Yes sir drip system is in the works, and the timer from last year works great. I'd like to get it set up to run 3  -3/8" lines that are open ended-I'll have to time how long it would take to fill up the "ditches" between the rows with about 3" of water. Then set it up on a once everyt 72 hour schedule-that would definitely get the roots reaching down for the water, and not popping up out of the ground all over the surface. May have to get another timer for that-I'll have to check the manual I've got to see the time scales.
Yes , the Subgun with a 50 rnd drum is hefty-its all big beefy heavy steel-I'd guess about 15#.The weight helps when your running it , not so much if you were humping one out in the boonies somewhere during the second world war.There is a hundred rnd drum out there , just not many people BIG enough to carry it!

Thanks for stopping by all-
Have a good one-
DJ

A day late, dollar short...

Plants look great!

Bound to have some casualties when the real grower is away. Despite that, from what I saw last year, you still did OK. Producing some gnarly, nasty pods!

I bet know those old Thompson's are pricey and hard to find nowadays. They have such a place in history. I would love to fire one up one day.

Enjoy the weekend and keep it green!

GLOG slacker make up time.Not much of an update.....but progress has been made.Most are now in the dirt!

The last round of mobe time , had 1 "just in case" Brazilian Ghost making my last Houston stint.....recovering from the Fungus Gnat infestations that marked my grow this year....

Hey , a little poolside time.....gettin jr used to the big yellow thing again. While I was otherwise engaged , I found a nice spot in the hotel hedges for it to hang during the afternoons.Meanwhile back at the house ...aphids are massing.

After 5 days in Houston , gnat free , the Ghost with the most is ready to roll homeward bound . Time is gonna be tight for plant out.....

After another week of eating every meal "out" , time to get even....Olive oil, duck fat .... carmelize some onions and garlic,crisp up some prosciutto/copocllo in a pan, deglaze with 12 yr old Balsamic vinegar, reduce add Tequila and half cup of blue berries...reduce some more..........

Done....ready to drizzle over some still moo'ing blackened ribeyes....picture was blurry and my better half was getting a bit impatient with pic taking , so I digresss.

Some critters on the plants pre plant out.... no aphid shots on purpose.

Assassin bug nymph on the prowl on a Douglah x Yellow 7 pot.

Another one , in the act....nailing a fruit fly

Desert! Whiskey for the soul!

Damn , instead of the full revamp planned( pull weed barrier, till, remediate with cane bagasse, retill), it is the dreaded individual objective assault method....pull back weed barrier ,dig out a 16" diameter x 14-16" deep hole for each plant, dress with new soil-which means 4" of good stuff with a 6-8" mound in the center. Spread the roots around the mound, fill with good stuff, and top with 2-3" of topsoil (has a high clay content comparatively), reapply the weed barrier , then after the rows are down, cover the weed barrier with mulch. Picts will follow eventually , but as this operation was completed at 22:45(10:45 pm), and I got up at 0430 to head to Port Fourchon to jump on the Ocean Intervention 4, you will just have to think back  to when your plants were 12" tall , and picture 3 raised rows  covered with brown hardwood mulch :rofl: !Oh , and a second small 6 plant plot with the same treatment. 6 plants in pots yet to go , and 4 in 5-7 gal containers. Whew.

I can't wait for the "just stand and stare at em' part! More likely , treat for aphids....THEN stand and stare!
Have a good one!
DJ
This whole 90 degrees sideways thing gets old (no matter how many times I turn em upright in photo bucket), so , just imagine them straight up.

Glad things are shaping up.

At least you made it back to the tower for a few and planted them before you had to leave again.

Darktoweri_03_reprint2.jpg

The Invisible Man is back for some account of his AWOL time....

Upon getting home last-I was an aphid rancher.They laughed at Sevin dust , so after the rain washed em of , they got full dose Neem Oil soap.This knocked out most of the aphids , but temperature being what it is here , along with the very high humidity...well, lets just say the latter 2 issues DO NOT MIX WELL with insecticides. Think about radiation treatment for cancer patients , and you're in the right ballpark. Even with Neem Oil(full dose, 2 oz per gallon.). Damn, gotta a few more days....4 was all I had at the time, so 4 it was.

Okay, first and second rounds in the ground! July is a very bad time for this , as bugs are are at their BADDEST , PM sun is brutally merciless(my garden is 4-6 hrs PM sun) and hot as hell with a full dose Louisiana on the Gulf humidity.

Most of Class 1 went straight from 16-20 oz cups into the ground , during a 2-3 day overcast spell. Root balls are half of what they should be ...fungus gnat damage , but the roots were at least a healthy white now , and I have no choice-Now or never. Easy. First casualties are both Yellow 7 x Douglah's , 1 7 Pot Primo x Butch T , 1 Mustard Bhut , and 7 Pot White. Sink or swim time kids.

2  days of full sun later , they are begging for mercy by 1400. So , heat stress ...remediate with some white pots or a small lattice lean to's for 1400-to1600. The idea behind waiting is to harden em up faster. The entire second round goes into the ground...many of which were just waiting to be judged ambulatory from the ongoing medical drop repository(ie the pepper hospital; nursing the fungus gnat casaulties back into shape). Class 2 root balls were in worse shape then Class 1, but only marginally so...in they all go. Or more accurately , the ones I have room for.

As for now , I will watch for the weaker plants , and swap out withe hospital group-which are recovering fairly well , in 1 gallon pots.
Hopefully , I will get the TS VV7 , the Moruga x Naga , and the Brazilian Ghost Scorpion in the ground- but they are not close to recovery yet.

So , now I will STFU , and get on with it!

The tough little Chili Petin came back strong...first Pod!

Sawyer's Not White Yellow Bhut

Douglah X Bhut T F4 Brown Pheno Type-from seeds sent to Chris P, from the red parent that grew Brown offspring, as well as red. He sent some back from his grow , of both pheno's....we shall see.

Brown Moruga(in back)- not sure if this was one grown from seed , or one sent by John Ford as a seedling. The front plant is "practicing"-another NWYBJ from Sawyer , this plant is a casualty replacement...and is now in the ground and doing well.

Purple Flash Flower , from one the few winter kill survivors , or a seedling from dropped pods, whatever , this one is growing high and splitting , versus the low bushy parents- which is why I  suspect its a seedling-it was potted with a Purple Bhut last year, so maybe.....

Class 2 at left-Romy's Green Hornet Naga- its surpassing most of the others so far. The 2 to the right are mysteries from last year , little bastadges never even flinch at the heat or sun , perfect little plants , since dug up and put into 1 gallon pots.

Stem detail of one the 2 surviving 7 Pot Giant Congo SR's , from Sawyer. Nice meaty plant. The other is having some issues, this one is a Class 2 casualty replacement.

Hospital recoveree..Pimenta Lisa Stephan.

I think thats the limit here , more uploaded..so...I'll be back........

Oh hell, let's try one more...

Bhut Jolokia Mustard from Stephan.

Back