• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Goat's Milk

we raised goats for awhile.   it was one of my biggest fails of all time!    the milk is awesome and strong!  also great for chrons patients. 

but lets just say goats are not for me!!

Rawkstah said:
love it.  I cook with it, and it gives more of that goat cheese flavor.
What do you cook it with? I was thinking just cereal or Mac n cheese what else?

Yea I do love the strong ness of it I only got a small carton to try might have to get more to try

I don't like goat's milk for drinking.

In fact I don't drink milk at all.

But man do I love chevre and any 'thang goat cheese.

We used to have goat's on the farm in high school.

Loved 'em, and they made great pets too!

Apparently it's good for lactose intolerant people. According to my Mum, I was highly lactose intolerant as a young child, and any normal milk would set me off. Goats milk was something my parents could give me with no problems at all. 

Never had goats milk but ate goat meat.
Close as I can think of,taste wise was DRY pork.
The guy who raised the goats made KILLER Takillya/Moonshine.

His wife was an XLNT. cook.
Her cooking using Goat meat was GREAT stuff.
Mexican style food.
Maybe the cheeses she used were from Goat milk,but I think they raised goats for meat,not milk.
Pretty sure.
I guess the moonshine wasn't Takillya.
It was from cactus grown on their land...in Acton Ca.
First shot went down smooth,second shot got you a buzz.
After that you were on your own...

I have no idea what the video guy is singing.Guitar is way too loud...

smokemaster said:
Never had goats milk but ate goat meat.Close as I can think of,taste wise was DRY pork.The guy who raised the goats made KILLER Takillya/Moonshine.His wife was an XLNT. cook.Her cooking using Goat meat was GREAT stuff.Mexican style food.Maybe the cheeses she used were from Goat milk,but I think they raised goats for meat,not milk.Pretty sure.I guess the moonshine wasn't Takillya.It was from cactus grown on their land...in Acton Ca.First shot went down smooth,second shot got you a buzz.After that you were on your own...I have no idea what the video guy is singing.Guitar is way too loud...
I have never tried goat meat but have had lamb I absolutely hated it. Maybe goat is better

Hey Rob, where do you get your milk? I visit 2 farms pretty often and they serve it warm and straight from the goat AND they have a wide selection of things you can put in your milk like choco, coffee, vanilla flavor and even alcohol.

My favorite is alcohol and coffee, and sometimes plain. Taste is way better than cow and a lot more nutritious. I doesn't give you diarrhea like raw cow milk either.

If you decide to buy a milking goat go for a Nubian, they really get loaded with milk and they're meaty too. Overall good goat to have.

As a Mexican, when I lived in southern Mexico it's almost an everyday task to milk the cows to sell the milk and make cheese. And while at it you always end up drinking almost 2 quarts of milk before you make the trip back home from "potrero".

-Walt

Nightshade said:
What do you cook it with? I was thinking just cereal or Mac n cheese what else?

Yea I do love the strong ness of it I only got a small carton to try might have to get more to try
I use it to make sauces and stuff instead of cream/milk. For example, I make a pesto lasagna and use goat milk for the béchamel.  It makes the lasagna taste like there is creamy goat cheese in the layers. 

Back