• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Got my bulk Dorset Naga Seeds today I need to germinate now

So I have read all sorts of stuff about germination for Bhut Jolokia / Dorset Naga

I was thinking of using small take out sauce/jello shot cups.

I just germinated some seeds for my mini bell peppers in paper towel and dropped them into jiffy pots, to see if they would take off or not as
a test.

What is your recommendation for germination of my seeds, should I soak them in a solution or direct sow into a jiffy pot, germinate in cup and sow directly
into the party cups.

also I'm buying some soil tonight. I have a potting soil mix at home, but its very wood chippy.

Should I pick up some moisture control dirt for these, don't know jack about dirt? and should I get any kind with fertilizer in them?

I will have these plants inside later in the season to try to get them to fruit under lights inside in my house @ 72-74 around October.

This is my story:

There're many different methods to choose from and when you find one that really works well you don't want to mess with it too much!!

On an aggressive scale I consider myself somewhere in the middle; they're many here that go much harder than me. I'm very happy with my results thus far and here we go:

I germinate my seeds in a plastic deli container with coffee filter paper on the bottom. I place them on a heat mat set for 85°F. You want to keep the paper moist without any standing water on the bottom. When they sprout and develop green hooks I'll place them in a grow plug 72 cell tray with a dome cover. I continue to use the heat mat until they're have a good foot hold, such that when I pull the grow plugs I see roots coming out from underneath.

I will then pot up to a 3.5" x 3.5" pot and use "Pro Mix BX" Remember once the little guys sprout they need light and water. I don't juice them until I place them into the "BX" which I will use PHC seedling & houseplants 6-12-6 biofertilizer by means of bottom feeding until they go outside. Then I use "Pro-Gro Organic Fertilizer" until the flowering stage which I will use another fertilizer that takes them the rest of the way.

I water from the bottom up which has produced tremendous results for me thus far. Peppers don't like to be over watered at all. I stick my finger in the mix just a little bit to feel for moisture. If it is dry and the peppers seems just a touch wilted down then I add enough water in the bottom of the tray so that its ¼" over the top of the channels.

For lights I use 2 (T5s x 4') per shelf and have a total of 8 shelves. I started mine in late February and some are already producing pods. I'll have my first Bih pods this week. Black Nagas soon to follow.

I hope this helps!!

Good luck, Jack

how much is bulkk?

I have a package with 1000 seeds in it. I got it for a pretty good deal, I'll just sell / trade what I don't use.

I tapped the seeds with my dry finger.. and licked it.. my tongue burnt for hours after.. thats some strong stuff..

also my tongue still hurts.

I have a package with 1000 seeds in it. I got it for a pretty good deal, I'll just sell / trade what I don't use.

I tapped the seeds with my dry finger.. and licked it.. my tongue burnt for hours after.. thats some strong stuff..

haha dangg for howw muchh?

& dangg thats craazyy !

i wouldnt of done that. Who knows what they put on the seeds :think:

Well if your still alive i guess you will be ok :rofl:

Plant a few now to test the water - but you're better off growing outside next year. Start sowing Naga seeds mid-January indoors. I would think Maine has a short growing season. If you plant in containers, you can bring them in at night when a freeze is expected, and then put them out again in the morning when the sun comes up. My plants here in Virginia don't go inside for good until December. Nagas like a 5 gallon container or larger if you can afford the extra soil.

I have never germed seeds in the baggie/paper towel method, I always use potting soil mix in the 6 plot seed trays, works good. Get a heating mat if you dont already have one and keep the soil temp around 80 degrees, they should sprout quickly (2 weeks or so). I am not trying to dicourage you, unless you are planning on overwintering them, but it is a bit late in the season to be planting super hots.

By all means, they can be grown inside, but getting them to set pods can be a challenge and very frustrating indoors, in my experience anyways. It seems they like temps of 80 or better, anything under that and the flowers just drop off.

Personally I would chuck the whole lot of jiffy peat pots in the nearest trash receptical and just plant them in a good seed starter mix. Jiffy pots can dry out easily and then they are a bitch to get them to take water back on, or so I have found. Get some 2-3" pots and get them in there after they have 2 sets of true leaves and they will go wild.

Potting up can be a pain, but the end results will be worth it. Try going too big on the pot too soon seems to not let the root ball develop for me, maybe its because the water goes to the lower end of the pot where the roots havent grown yet, dunno. Anyways, good luck growing them and keep us posted.

I would plant directly in soil in cups.

I would use a lightweight, soilless potting mix or seed starting mix. Stuff with built-in fert is OK, but not required just to get seeds started.

Don't plant too deeply, and use fine potting material to cover the seeds.

Cover the cup with Saran wrap or similar, to keep-in moisture and humidity. Remove as soon as seeds pop, to avoid damp-off.

Keep an eye on moisture, and re-water/re-cover if needed.

Put in warm loc or on seed heating mat to germinate. 85F is perfect, but not much higher than that, or your seeds will sprout faster, but your germination % will drop like a rock! :eek:

With regards to pre-soaking to accelerate germination, one of the members here recently did a scientific test on that very topic as part of a college-level horticulture class he was taking - :cool:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22239-plant-propagation-experiment/

The seeds soaked in water for 45 minutes prior to planting did better than either the unsoaked seeds, or the longer-soaked seeds. They sprouted first, and they also had the highest germination rates. :)

It certainly wouldn't hurt the seeds to do this, so you might want to try it and see how it works for your seeds. ;)

With regards to growing indoors over the Winter - I have had GREAT success in doing this. :D While some pepper varieties will stop producing during the Winter months, I have found most C. chinense will continue to flower & produce pods during this period (on Christmas, I had more habs than I could eat! :cool:)

But even if they don't set fruit this Winter, your plants will still have one hell of a head-start come next Spring! ;)

Plant a few now to test the water - but you're better off growing outside next year. Start sowing Naga seeds mid-January indoors. I would think Maine has a short growing season. If you plant in containers, you can bring them in at night when a freeze is expected, and then put them out again in the morning when the sun comes up. My plants here in Virginia don't go inside for good until December. Nagas like a 5 gallon container or larger if you can afford the extra soil.

I have some current ones that I got from a nursery in 2.5 gallon pots. I just want to make sure if I put them in 5 gallon pots I can get these suckers into my basement thats 6.5, and still fit lights over them.

Really the plan was to try to germinate a bunch of peppers, and even if I don't get them to pods, I can hopefully get them strong and ready to come outside once the frost warnings are gone, next year and have a ton of pods come off them.

I really want to get a climate controlled area of my basement, and plastic off the corner, and use T8's or other shoplight fixtures in ballasts and heating mats to keep them alive.

I just have to get my seeds starting soon.

I tried to germinate some on my counter its really hot inside but the wife runs the AC constantly so it drops below good germination temp.

I need to pickup my heating mat soon.

Back