• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GPR 2020: Seeing clearly

Good evening and thanks for taking a look at my glog  :welcome:
Seeds started 4th & 5th

This year from start to finish I’ll be updating unlike years past and hopefully my take this year will result in a ton of sauce (cousins brew) pickled hot peppers (mine) and gonna do a mesquite smoked powder mix. So sit back, relax and come on this journey to grow some sick, some mild and some new varieties with me. 
Here’s the list (so far):

Bishops Crown
Dedo de moca (thanks GIP)
Violet Sparkle (thanks GIP)
Dulce Sol (thanks GIP)
Purple Tobago Seasoning (thanks GIP)
Pdn x Bmj white (thanks Paul)
Stuffing scotch bonnet (hoping for 1 sprout)
Aji lemon
Aji peach fantasy 
Aji Cachucha
Aji Dulce
Aji Dulce Orange 
Aji charpita
Sugar Rush Red
Sugar Rush Cream
MAMP Black NGR
Bode Roxa
Inca Berry XL
& of course the :censored: Ghosts  :mouthonfire:  :metal: 
Chocolate Ghost 
Red Ghost (original)
Solid Gold Ghost

Thanks my spicy brethren  :onfire:

JimZ25H.jpg

oSHtvdB.jpg

CaneDog said:

At the risk of going way off-topic here, I haven't been able to determine where the name came from.  I've even seen an alternate spelling, "Haskoria," e.g., http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Haskoria-pepper. I looked it up once thinking it might have taken its name from a city/geography and that might clarify, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've heard it in my head as "Hask" as in "ask" and with the accent on the 2nd syllable.  On the 3rd with a "Has" as in "spaz" it would sound the the start of a question, e.g., Haskorea a surplus of kimchi?

Had to complicate things you did ;)

PtMD989 said:
Game on[emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah buddy  :cheers:

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Hey hey!

Say, how are we pronouncing, "Haskorea," anyway?
I was brain farting the spelling  :banghead:

Devv said:
Looking good GPR! I hope the Candy Cane makes great peps ;)

I call it Has-Korea when spoken.
yeah buddy me too, started crossing today  :metal:
that’s how I say it out loud 

CaneDog said:

At the risk of going way off-topic here, I haven't been able to determine where the name came from.  I've even seen an alternate spelling, "Haskoria," e.g., http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Haskoria-pepper. I looked it up once thinking it might have taken its name from a city/geography and that might clarify, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've heard it in my head as "Hask" as in "ask" and with the accent on the 2nd syllable.  On the 3rd with a "Has" as in "spaz" it would sound the the start of a question, e.g., Haskorea a surplus of kimchi?

from what I read it came out of Aleppo by USDA scientist and name origin doesn’t seem to be specified. Most likely a cross of Aleppo, as for the pronunciation I think your on your own with that one  :hmm:  :whistle:

So today I broke and got soil to help amend the crap I have on the hill and future grow home of all my peppers. 
Why does good soil smell so good? Is it weird that I like the smell of certain soils?  :crazy:

Mixed it in my truck bed, figured it’d be easier. The only thing needed to amend it is wood ash and red wigglers to make the soil so nice  :mouthonfire:

ReJ6sTd.jpg

Grow location off the back of the house, still need to cut those bromeliads down because mosquitoes love those basturd plants. Including the ones regrowing on the right, stupid devil plants  :flamethrower:  :twisted:

gYBYGFw.jpg

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
So today I broke and got soil to help amend the crap I have on the hill and future grow home of all my peppers. 
Why does good soil smell so good? Is it weird that I like the smell of certain soils?  :crazy:

Maybe we've been agricultural long enough to develop an association between good soil and food security. The aroma of baking bread is known to be very psychologically affecting, for example. 

PtMD989 said:
Looks like you got some work to do,eh[emoji16]. From 1 jungle to another kind’ve jungle [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh indeed, a third of my acre and a half is crazy overgrown plus these plants are a pain to remove 

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Maybe we've been agricultural long enough to develop an association between good soil and food security. The aroma of baking bread is known to be very psychologically affecting, for example. 
that’s a good theory, I concur my good sir  :think:  :cheers:

Mixed it in my truck bed, figured it’d be easier. The only thing needed to amend it is wood ash and red wigglers to make the soil so nice  :mouthonfire:

ReJ6sTd.jpg

Grow location off the back of the house, still need to cut those bromeliads down because mosquitoes love those basturd plants. Including the ones regrowing on the right, stupid devil plants  :flamethrower:  :twisted:

gYBYGFw.jpg

Wow! Tropical jungle for sure. We have close to the same temps, but here is semi desert, just enough rain for cattle...mostly.

And what you said about the smell of the mix, and @Unc:

Totally agree. Just wait until you stir up the jungle, that should be some rich soil.

PaulG said:
You have some nice looking starts there, GPR!
The hooks just keep on comin'!

What is the shipping container for? Dirt?

Nah, the shipping container is my new hurricane proof shed. Current one will be leveled along with the cub, generator and the various chainsaws and such if a good hurricane hits. Seeing the way this year is going I figure I might as well before I regret not getting one. :shh:

I had to look at a map. Dang you're way South; I don't blame you for wanting protection.

Mom has an acre just West of either hwy 1 or 1a in Melbourne, I think 1a.
She's never done anything with it, and she'll be 85 next month. So it ain't gonna happen.

Keep those plants happy as they look!

Devv said:
I had to look at a map. Dang you're way South; I don't blame you for wanting protection.

Mom has an acre just West of either hwy 1 or 1a in Melbourne, I think 1a.
She's never done anything with it, and she'll be 85 next month. So it ain't gonna happen.

Keep those plants happy as they look!
Haha yeah Melbourne is 2.5 hrs exactly due north and US 1 isn’t Far East either. An acre in a decade out there will be worth a pretty penny as our state is only growing with every snow storm up north  :rofl:  :shh:
Thanks, the plants need to be potted and my lazy booty has got to make it happen like today  :banghead:

Oh and the candy cane pod getting big and my cross may have taken it seems   :think:

So some of the kids need to move out of the AG like today or tomorrow in the rain, lots of peppercorn 

Haskorea and Aji cachucha 
lUijpjE.jpg

Dulce sol needs to move out and the bode Roxas got separated 
tRvQVvS.jpg

Inca berry xl too big
nKg7EBb.jpg

IIXy8P4.jpg

Red ghost got helmet and violet sparkle tore right through seed
3Po7cPT.jpg

Bode Roxa I couldn’t cull and is now a test subject in straight up composted cow poo only 
vghaC7Q.jpg

Black tiger got transplanted
IZi524a.jpg

Taj Mahal pink/purple new temp home
dxkjwvq.jpg

Candy cane sporting pods but my Aji bolsa de Dulce cross didn’t take 
uBocrB2.jpg

Orange minion pod looking kool
4XhqEmb.jpg

Peach Fantasy (Aji) podding up in new temp home
T9B9ATH.jpg

More transplants tomorrow 

Haha thanks and yes, daddy always drives. Lucky for them the Cub can only go like 5.5 mph so no craziness  :shh:  :whistle:
31 years ago my kids were 4 and 7, and I had this old Kawasaki 250cc 3 wheeler. Dang thing would do 60 mph.
We were in the rent house before the wife found the place we have now, and I found this huge puddle (?) that was like 40 yards across in a parking lot.
It was winter (Tejas winter), and I took the kids there, hitting the puddle at about 25 mph. Water was coming over our heads from the splash; the puddle was about 9-10"s deep.
We did that for about an hour, coming home, soaked and muddy as hell, we had to slow down for some old lady backing out of her driveway. She looked at me with this, you're an asshole look.
I guess she never found out what fun really was. The kids loved it, and somewhere I have a pic of all 3 of us. The kids were grinning ear to ear.

I would take the grand kids out and do the same in a heartbeat.

Back