• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grafted multipepper

Hi guys!

I hung low on chilli growing for a few years, but I'm back, with a little project: grafting different kinds of peppers onto one plant.

I've tried in the past, but always got disappointed after a few days, because the graft didn't seem to take. Figured it was too hard to do with DIY materials.

Turns out you have to wait it out longer that a few days. This year, I tried again and found out they take between 1 week and 1 month to take (depending on how thin you can cut the graft. The thinner the better). The couple of small leaves I left on the graft every time, went from wilted to nice 'n perky...and low and behold: there was growth.
I'm now pinching out all of the flowers so it can focus on foliage growth. Except for the Carolina Reaper...I hope to be able to get seeds from it still. Oh and one Choco Hab, that took before I knew it, so I left it on there.

Since I had been out of the game for a while, all of the seeds (a ton of different kinds) I had saved from a few years back weren't viable anymore. I had gone to the local plant shop to get some classic peppers. Unfortunatily nothing fancy on the multigraft pepper.

The peppers that have been grafted onto them are:

Red cayenne
    Diamond white bell pepper (which is also the mother stem. I did graft a branch on its own branch, to keep the plant balanced: this way it had to invest in this 'wounded branch' too)
    Orange bell pepper
    Orange snack bell pepper
    Chocolate habanero
    Carolina Reaper (a branch from a friends plant)
    Yellow tomatini (a hyper prolific tomato plant with tiny snack tomatoes)
    Coeur de Pigeon tomato

Wish i had had some more fun peppers to graft, but maybe next year. I've ordered a bunch of new seeds for next year (and Paul G will send me some too, thanks).

The plant is now indoors, going under a LED, hoping to get it through our long winter...

I'm curious to see how it will look next summer... :)

Thomas

Attachments

• TH_D1985.JPG
    TH_D1985.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 128
  • TH_D1987.JPG
    TH_D1987.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 101
  • TH_D1978.JPG
    TH_D1978.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 114
My replies don't get posted. Retyped my answer 3 times now. I bet when I post this test, it'll work like a charm :lol: :think: :banghead: :banghead:

Edit: Well I'll be darned.

I have no idea why this works and my other posts don't :tear:.

Edit 2:

You'd think I can just answer in this edit, but nope. From the second I type a decent answer here, it won't post again. Freakish.

Edit 14 (srsly haha).

If anyone has an idea about this posting problem (when i post, I go back to the main index). "Paste as plain text" doesnt help...

The posting issue is something that seems to come and go.  I haven't had it happen for a while, but previously a fair amount at times.  I tracked one longer post down to simply 1 word that was in the post that caused the problem.  Remove the word, the post goes through. Leave it in, the post is rejected.  Same word works fine in other posts and different words cause the issue in other posts. No idea exactly what causes it. Suggest copying any longer post before posting so if it's rejected you don't lose your work and can hopefully paste and modify it enough it takes.

The rubber bands bumpers are a great idea. I wondered if that might be the reason because the pinch of the clothespins could be rough on the stem.  Great work getting those all to take!  I have one graft going right now which is a 7 Pot White wedged to the mainstem of a CGN21500 and it managed to produce both types of pods. I've wanted to do something more "Frankenpepper," but that's quite a bit of effort!  Great job!

solid7 said:
I wonder if it's possible to graft different species.  I'm thinking something like pubescens on chinense...  Oooooooo.

I've been considering using pubescens or baccatum for the strength of the root stock, but it would be cool either way.

Thanks CaneDog, to clear that up. I'm knocking on wood while typing that the issue seems to be less now. But good to know what I can do when it happens again.

I actually started the grafting with the bare Diamond white bell pepper (i didn't leave a single leave on it) around the 16th of August.
So all of the foliage you see is new. The grafts usually had only a couple of tiny leaves on them.
If the stem of your graft is too long, it bends and dies when it whilts. If it has too many big leaves, it bends and dries out even faster.

Great that the 7 pot White took on the CGN21500! It's always possible to add more, right?! :party: ;)
I'd love to see a picture of that combo!

Solid7, maybe take a Chinense mother plant and graft a Pubescens onto it. I wonder if it would produce fruit easier in warm climates like that.

Hopefully the posting gets better quick.  It seems to come and go and can be a huge pain at times.

Here a couple posts with pics of the graft:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1595627
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/page-11#entry1607586

It's outside/offsite now and I'm not sure yet whether I'll try to OW it or maybe start a new one with more grafts, like you say.  I've thought it would be kinda cool to start with a plant, like a Scotch Bonnet, 7 Pot, or Bhut, and then graft branches of 4 or 5 different varieties./colors of that type of plant onto it.  

And hey 7, you might really be onto something with using root stock for the pubescens for your environment.  Do like the citrus industry.  You could even consider tomato rootstock. 

There was a thread that got some discussion around that a while back - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70835-sinensis-grow-log-2019-with-tomato-grafting/

CaneDog said:
And hey 7, you might really be onto something with using root stock for the pubescens for your environment.  Do like the citrus industry.  You could even consider tomato rootstock.
Unless somebody could compel me with science, I'd never use tomato plants for rootstock in this climate.  For me, it's easier to grow the pubescens than tomatoes.  They only really do well in our winter months, and are way too prone to nematodes, wilt, and fungus. 
Chinense grow very well all year round for me.  The first pic is a ~5 months of growth on a Brazilian Starfish, and the second is a 2+ year 7 Pot Bubblegum:
48484636767_cc3ea6f691_z.jpg

32837471533_b70680e9e1_z.jpg

CaneDog said:
Hopefully the posting gets better quick.  It seems to come and go and can be a huge pain at times.

Here a couple posts with pics of the graft:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1595627
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/page-11#entry1607586

It's outside/offsite now and I'm not sure yet whether I'll try to OW it or maybe start a new one with more grafts, like you say.  I've thought it would be kinda cool to start with a plant, like a Scotch Bonnet, 7 Pot, or Bhut, and then graft branches of 4 or 5 different varieties./colors of that type of plant onto it.  

There was a thread that got some discussion around that a while back - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70835-sinensis-grow-log-2019-with-tomato-grafting/

Great work on that grafting!
Oh man, a 7multipot would be so cool!

Solid.. The video KS has on it is pretty good for the basics of it.

Thomas.. I didn't see you mention using a bag over for the moisture retention.. Did you not use one?

It'd be interesting to send some cuttings thru the mail and see if they will still graft okay.. 

Back