• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Green Vs Red Jalapeno Peppers

The Hot Pepper said:

I don't know about the American thing, in Mexico the green are for eating fresh, the red for drying, so why blame the Americans? Ever had pico de gallo?? They are traditionally eaten green.

Should've said American business. I've never seen just a plain red jalap in the store... always green. Red is an overwhelming favorite here, but they have to be left alone in one's own garden, to find a red. I know it's supply and demand, with most people wanting green for the sake of believing that's the way they come. But like sriracha being the most popular hot sauce, I think people would gravitate towards the red, sometimes, if it were offered. Like I said, no one wants to offer it straight up, against the green. It isn't cost efficient. Plus they don't stay fresh long when red.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Myxlplyk said:
most people wanting green for the sake of believing that's the way they come.

They do come green. They are not painted lol. They also turn red yes, a different taste. That does not mean unripe peppers are being sold. Just like a bell, it is ripe in stages. Green is the most popular.

The Hot Pepper said:

They do come green. They are not painted lol. They also turn red yes, a different taste. That does not mean unripe peppers are being sold. Just like a bell, it is ripe in stages. Green is the most popular.

Meant that people think that green is the only way they come. Stupid brain... not smart enough to make the hand do what it is thinking. :drooling:

Yes I do believe that to be true.

There is a definite perceived value to green due to it being status quo. ;)

Red would be the rarity and possibly overlooked and not sold.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yes I do believe that to be true.

There is a definite perceived value to green due to it being status quo. ;)

Red would be the rarity and possibly overlooked and not sold.

The owner of Huy Fong didn't overlook it. And he's a rich man because of that. I admire rich people who think outside the box. Can't say it's my favorite sauce, but I admire the hell outta David Tran. Tho his Vietnamese garlic sauce makes the absolute best General Tso's! (also made from red jalaps)

Have ya ever seen green Fresno's in the market?? NOPE. Personally I'm a serrano man over a peno any day. My favorite ripeness for serrano is when they are showing both colors. Although they gain a ton of sugars when they turn red they get a lil' soft and lose some of there crispness. I like them to still have a touch of that chlorophyll flavor and that fresh crispness while still having the start of the sugars and ripe flavor. But don't get me wrong, I love em green, red, and in between.
Funny, I was just talking about this with Scovie on Saturday.  :cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:

I don't know about the American thing, in Mexico the green are for eating fresh, the red for drying, so why blame the Americans? Ever had pico de gallo?? They are traditionally eaten green.
Actually, the original green were all we knew as Americans that is what I am saying...trust me most have zero idea about red hence this thread ;) 

Hawaiianero said:
Yeah, roast them when they're red, pull the skins off,  and you get a sweet heat going on that works really good in just about anything
I like the skins still on. Or slimy and you lose a lot of the roasted flavor. To each...

The Hot Pepper said:
Get some pecan wood. Chipotles are red jalapenos so try your hand at smoke-drying for some powder or pods.

I really doubt pecan smoked reds are the norm for chipotle. For one, red Chipotle is a very different flavour to that of the chilli in most UK chipotle products (and generally hotter).
For two, pecan smoke is currently banned in the EU yet, despite us not having actually left yet, we can still import red. All green chipotle here ATM is smoked with the wrong wood within our own borders. Thus I highly doubt your average red chipotle is pecan smoked.

spicefreak said:
I really doubt pecan smoked reds are the norm for chipotle. For one, red Chipotle is a very different flavour to that of the chilli in most UK chipotle products (and generally hotter).
For two, pecan smoke is currently banned in the EU yet, despite us not having actually left yet, we can still import red. All green chipotle here ATM is smoked with the wrong wood within our own borders. Thus I highly doubt your average red chipotle is pecan smoked.

In Mexico they use pecan. I do see something about pecan smoked being banned in EU, "No more chipolte in the EU"

Too bad. :P

"The Chipotle in all its forms are smoked finished by burning Pecan Wood, which gives this chilli its very unique flavour of a sweet nutty citrus with a backdrop of heat"

The Hot Pepper said:
I love stuffing red poblanos.

Speaking of stuffing, I have a few stuffing SBs growing, and I'm thinking sausage, cheese, brown rice, and maybe some finely diced green jalapenos. ;)

Scratch the sausage... LAMB!

Not to sound like a complete newbie, but my wife has been growing jalapeno for about 4 years now and do not remember that they turned red. I'm very intrigued by this lol.......I guess she has to leave them on longer this year......

She is getting so many this year she might actually try selling them at her garage sale,might have to look up recipes before this weekend

I have to admit when I find a bin of red jalapenos at the local farmer's market or grocery store, I get a bit of a chub.  Those become sauce for me, every time.  You can get chipotle 7 ways to Sunday, a fresh sauce with red jalapenos is gold.

JayT said:
I have to admit when I find a bin of red jalapenos at the local farmer's market or grocery store, I get a bit of a chub.  Those become sauce for me, every time.  You can get chipotle 7 ways to Sunday, a fresh sauce with red jalapenos is gold.

I demand your recipe...please?  :P

I would love to know the JayT red peno sauce recipe.

I made it and posted it here before, I'll have to search for it when I have a day off again.  Its bed time now.  Feel free to look for it if you wish.  It might be in my Flog.

I'll do one better, I think I have one bottle left of my last batch, pm me your addy and its yours.

Back