• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Green Vs Red Jalapeno Peppers

Hers one that looks good.

Roasted Red Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1.5 pounds red jalapeno peppers – about 25 peppers or so.
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Salt to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Slice the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stems. Set them onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes, or until the skins blister.
  2. Remove from heat and cover with aluminum foil or a towel to allow them to steam. Peel off the skins and discard.
  3. Set the peppers into a food processor.
  4. Heat a small pan to medium heat and add chopped onion and garlic with a splash of olive oil. Cook about 5 minutes to soften.
  5. Add all remaining ingredients and heat through. Into the food processor they go.
  6. Process the sauce until smooth. You can also use a food mill if you’d like your sauce to be thick and consistent.
  7. Test for salt and serve!

I havent posted in a bit but when it comes to red jalapeno I cant resist.
Like others have said, green jalapeno and serrano are a dime a dozen at the stores and markets around here so when I grow mine I let them go to red....sooo much betta, mucho sabor!

I like the red to make powder and to grill with steaks. Red japs by the pound in the grocery store here so I guess I'm lucky!

Myxlplyk said:
Red - think sriracha. Little bit of sweetness, like spicefreak said; and I find them more mild than green jalapenos. I like em both, for different things.
After they turn red enough for your sauce starve them water and they will be Hotter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Greetings Greenguru, This is Colonel Korn of the Centralized intelligence Agency.. we like your idea of starving a plant of water to make them hotter and want you to come work for us.. at a secret undisclosed location...One of our agents will contact you shortly.........Beep.....

Just joshing.. :P  actually this seems to hold some merit, during droughts pepper plants seems to have much more of a burn than they normally would. Not sure of the mechanism that does that, but it may be a defense response. Cheers!

Its a time tested proven fact.  Starving them of water (known as stressing) makes all peppers hotter.  I never water my until they start to wilt just for that reason.

Reds around here are insanely rare. Im checking the Mexican markets this week. When i cant find any i use red Fresnos. The only problem with a Fresno is sometimes they are super sweet and/or super mild too. Its been very hit or miss getting suitable substitutes the last few times. My Early Jalapenos didn't do well this year and im eating them faster than the time it takes for them to turn.

Really bummed about it too because they have great flavor and nice heat level.

My First Red Jalapenos.
No heat, taste like bell pepper ?? Grabbed a green one and that had no heat from the bite I took from the base, the bite from the top had some heat, but not like the commercial stuff.

_8085656_RedJalapenos-1000_zpsehugpsla.jpg

Every one of my Early jalapenos ive eaten this year have been very hot for a jalapeno. Hotter than any ive tried in over 2 years actually.

so much better red..my bro in law put a few out on a windowsill for a week or so, and they got bright red..they were quite hot and had that sweet delicious taste

Green Xalapeños are used commonly in Méjico in salsa verde and other dishes. They are not the result of gringo greed.

Red, corked Xalapeños  (see foto)  get better prices in the mercado than green

Chipotle is just a method of drying chiles and is not restricted to Xalapeños. Chile de arbol chipotle is one of my favorites.

Gave away my Jalapenos, gave one of the red ones to the gentleman, and it had heat, hes not someone that eats spicy food. I ate three of them and one of them had some heat. Im wondering if the season has anything to do with it, developing heat at autumn happens.

I prefer reds to eat fresh / pickled or for stuffing but greens make a FINE powder.
I've become a believer after trying sicman's green jala powder :)

Datil

In regards to heat, Im wondering if as the plant matures, so does the heat, even though theirs fruit earlier. Anybody else find the you plants dont have heat?

Back