Greetings from South Africa

Glad to be a member of such a great community with a common interest in one of my passions.
The only thing I love more than cooking a good "Indian Curry" in the company of friend is the growing of chillies and herbs whenever I can get my hans on something interesting.
Another interest of mine is exotic spices which I hope to grow on a small commercial scale at an appropriate time.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Fanie Jordaan

WELCOME

from Washington State, USA.

Are you growing chiles and herbs right now? Care to share about them?

Hope you have fun here on THP.
Ann aka salsalady

Glad to be a member of such a great community with a common interest in one of my passions.
The only thing I love more than cooking a good "Indian Curry" in the company of friend is the growing of chillies and herbs whenever I can get my hans on something interesting.
Another interest of mine is exotic spices which I hope to grow on a small commercial scale at an appropriate time.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Fanie Jordaan
And I bet you cook in a Potjie Pot? Right?
I have a collection - Falkirk & Best Duty Potjie Pots and Platpotjie Pots!
David
Toowoomba Queensland Australia

And I bet you cook in a Potjie Pot? Right?
I have a collection - Falkirk & Best Duty Potjie Pots and Platpotjie Pots!
David
Toowoomba Queensland Australia

David – Yes indeed.

I use a size 3 or 4 Falkirk for outdoor cooking on an open fire, depending on the appetite of my guests. For side dishes such as chutney, fried Habaneros and other similar delectations, I use a few size 2 Falkirks or whatever is not already simmering on the fire. The Falkirk size 1 is ideal for the dry roasting of spices before inclusion in the base dishes.

Whenever I cook indoors, I use a size 4 or 5 Cookwell flat bottom. For side dishes I again use a few number 2 or 3 Cookwell, for the dry roasting I love using the Cookwell size 2 which definitely has developed a style of it’s own. They do tend to form a character of their own, don’t they?

Incidentally, at times I would use one Falkirk size 1 or 2 per guest when serving, which really creates a unique culinary ambiance.

Do they sell the Farkirk and Cookwell in Australia – I can hardly imagine the Expats from South Africa not having a “poitjie” every so often and that of course with the “potbrood” and everything that goes with it, not to forget the cold Castles on the side…

David – Yes indeed.

I use a size 3 or 4 Falkirk for outdoor cooking on an open fire, depending on the appetite of my guests. For side dishes such as chutney, fried Habaneros and other similar delectations, I use a few size 2 Falkirks or whatever is not already simmering on the fire. The Falkirk size 1 is ideal for the dry roasting of spices before inclusion in the base dishes.

Whenever I cook indoors, I use a size 4 or 5 Cookwell flat bottom. For side dishes I again use a few number 2 or 3 Cookwell, for the dry roasting I love using the Cookwell size 2 which definitely has developed a style of it’s own. They do tend to form a character of their own, don’t they?

Incidentally, at times I would use one Falkirk size 1 or 2 per guest when serving, which really creates a unique culinary ambiance.

Do they sell the Farkirk and Cookwell in Australia – I can hardly imagine the Expats from South Africa not having a “poitjie” every so often and that of course with the “potbrood” and everything that goes with it, not to forget the cold Castles on the side…
We have a few retailers of Best Duty pots, but not Falkirk or Cookwell. Dont know Cookwell and I was under the impression the Falkirk Foundry was bought by Best Duty. I have 2 x No 2 Falkirk Potjies. My Best Duty Potjies range from size 1/4 to No 8. The only Platpotjie I have is a Best Duty No 3 and sometimes use it on the house stove.
I recently bought the legless Best Duty Bakepots 10", 12" and 14" for making breads.
I have a SA shop locally and love the Willow Falls Spicy Durban Curry and Cape Malay Curry cooking sauces.
I am not SA but there are many expat South Africans in my City of Toowoomba (largest inland City in Australia).
Cheers - David

Back