• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grow Bags

I have a question about grow bags, cash is kinda tight this year so I was looking for an alternative to purchasing more 5 and 7 gallon containers, so I was looking into grow bags and for .40 cents a pop for a 7 gallon bag seems like a great deal, so my question is do the bags get too hot outside in areas such as south florida? it seems like to me black plastic bags in 90+ degree sun would heat up and cook the root system, or is this nothing to worry about?
thanks for any info.

-Rich

Cool thanks Salsalady, if they work for NoShowNate then I should be ok, he lives pretty close to where I am at.

-Rich

Are the grow bags moveable or do they tear if you attempt to move them to a different spot once they are full?

I've grown around 200 plants in grow bags this past season, Rich, and I possibly have the same temps you do, though our climate is dryer.

I found that at worst I had to water a little more than, say, the terracotta pots, but it was never a major issue for me.

In fact, fruit production was higher and ripening earlier on the plants that lived in the bags, though plant size was noticeably greater on the plants in terra firma.

Thanks huntsman I think I will be picking some up and give them a try, what kind of soil mix do you use in them? just the same as you would pots?

Thinking I will give the grow bags a shot this year as well. I have more plants than I ever anticipated and the pot prices can really add up. Although, the pots are pretty much just a start up cost.

Yeah, I certainly do, but I'm not sure if my pot mix is the same as others folks on here.

It certainly should be, as my actions are usually moulded here. Here's what I do:

30% potting soil
30% compost
20% river sand
20% grow mix

The grow mix might well be unnecessary, but it's lovely and soft on my hands...;)

Maligator said:
Thinking I will give the grow bags a shot this year as well. I have more plants than I ever anticipated and the pot prices can really add up. Although, the pots are pretty much just a start up cost.

thats what happened to me lol, I had way more plants this year then last and didnt think of what all the extra pots would cost.

I had super results with germination. I ended up with WAY MORE than I had planned for. Originally I thought 20 - 30 plants would be it. I presently have around 114 or so! The only ones I really had trouble with were the Tepins! All but one of the tepins either didn't germinate or they died due to damp off! Since it was my first year growing them I didn't quite have the watering situation down pat. :( Going to order the bags today since I have just used up all the larger pots I had yesterday.

Hey huntsman, what kind of bags do you use? I'm thinking I'm gonna go the bag route as well. Have had no luck tracking down free 5-gallon buckets. Went to three different Sam's Clubs locations and they all said they don't give them out anymore and recycle within the company.

My biggest problem with the 5/7 grow bags came when it was time to move them due to cold weather after sitting outside all summer, they were very brittle. They also stretch alot if you move them when its hot outside. I eneded up buying 5/7 gal nursery pots from my local hydro store for about $0.30 more than the same size grow bags.

Yeah, that is a drawback, and it should be noted that grow bags are only a temporary respite from the economic cloud. At some point you are going to have to get better pots.

The ones I use are not branded, phatlad, so I have no idea what kind they are, but they're a fairly strong, black plastic with drainage holes at the bottom. Mine were bought from a wholesaler (supply co.) but most nurseries will have them.

treemanjohn said:
Costco, Sam's, Publix........... Will all give you white 5 gallon buckets. Just ask the bakery or deli manager

+1

I hit up my small local grocery store bakery/deli department and they told me they just throw them all out back in a recycling dumpster and I could help myself. There were several sizes to choose from and the ones I've taken range from 1.5 to 6 gallons.

huntsman said:
Yeah, that is a drawback, and it should be noted that grow bags are only a temporary respite from the economic cloud. At some point you are going to have to get better pots.

The ones I use are not branded, phatlad, so I have no idea what kind they are, but they're a fairly strong, black plastic with drainage holes at the bottom. Mine were bought from a wholesaler (supply co.) but most nurseries will have them.

Thanks!

I used them for the first time last year. They were the white ones. My only issue would be that the dirt moves around when you pick the bags up. But only until you've watered a couple of times and settles so all in all I would recommend them.

Back