• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grow Box - Questions.

Wow the box is really coming along. How long do you plan on using it though. I made a disposal box mainly because my plants where only in it for about 3 weeks if that.

Well its November now and 1st of May is a guideline here to think about putting stuff outside or in the greenhouse.

I have a heater in the shed and a 250w cfl in there so they will move probably feb/ march. Then at that point the light box will become the home for my hydro seedlings in rockwool.

I'm kind of just going with the flow and not planning anything precisely. Whats meant to be will be.
:onfire:

Ahh ok I thought it was just for seeds. Luckily I will probably just leave my plants outside after the winter trim.

Im going to line the box with something reflective, white paper at the very least.
Mylar seems to be the best stuff and its pretty cheap for the amount id need.
http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/1m---silver-reflective-mylar-sheeting-375-p.asp

I read in 'The Pepper Garden' by chilli guru dave DeWitt, that Mylar or kitchen foil does not diffuse the light and wil therefore create hotspots. Kinda makes sense if something is that reflective.
He suggests using white carrier bags that will reflect (not as well) but diffuse the light.
Also, im told that any reflector for the lamp should be uneven, rather than mirror like for the same reason, not having concentrated light forming a hot spot.

Any input regarding Mylar and light reflection in general?

So whats the advantage of the black/white (80% reflection) over the silver (90%)? Both are suitable for me.

Since my above post I was thinking maybe I could crumple the silver mylar up first, so when it is fitted it is wrinkly and will diffuse the light more. Good plan, or bollocks?

Maybe? Im not sure. You can get Diamond reflective which is like dimpled and is supposed to difuse somewhat.

I got the plastic as it cheaper and it doesn't crumple up after being bent like foil mylar probably does.

80% seems good enough for me, its not like im paying for wasted sun light. I paid £1.40 per meter from a hydro shop near Milton Keynes.

Chris

Mylar with diffusion, similar price.
Any thoughts?
http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/1m---diffusion-foil-diamond-mylar-376-p.asp

1m-diffusion-foil-diamond-mylar-376-p.jpg

I'm still not sold on the idea that hotspots are too bright and may somehow hurt your plants. They are still second hand light so aren't as bright. Mylar seems ok to me.

Im wondering how to support the lamp horizontally.
At first I will just dangle it in vertically from the top of the box. But once the plants are taller ill want to fix the lamp towards the top of the box horizontally.
I was thinking of doing it with string, but im not sure if it will damage the lamp having things in contact with it?
A bought reflector/light housing would do it, but i think they are more than what i need and kinda expensive to boot.

Wunder said:
Im going to line the box with something reflective, white paper at the very least.
Mylar seems to be the best stuff and its pretty cheap for the amount id need.
http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/1m---silver-reflective-mylar-sheeting-375-p.asp

I read in 'The Pepper Garden' by chilli guru dave DeWitt, that Mylar or kitchen foil does not diffuse the light and wil therefore create hotspots. Kinda makes sense if something is that reflective.
He suggests using white carrier bags that will reflect (not as well) but diffuse the light.
Also, im told that any reflector for the lamp should be uneven, rather than mirror like for the same reason, not having concentrated light forming a hot spot.

Any input regarding Mylar and light reflection in general?

Foil will likely cause hot spots but mylar should be fine as long as its mounted flat. I personally like the black/white since its easier to work with, its easier to clean and keep flat, and its easier on the eyes and doesn't give the appearance of an illegal grow-op

Those tubes will not create hot spots at all IMHO, regardless of what's used as a reflective medium. Their light is just not focussed enough.

Light bulbs are another matter entirely... :-)

huntsman said:
Those tubes will not create hot spots at all IMHO, regardless of what's used as a reflective medium. Their light is just not focussed enough.

Light bulbs are another matter entirely... :-)
Yay! Good answer.
The strongest bulbs I use are Cfls.

I don't think it matters what type of light you use, if you use foil or poor reflectors it likely won't reflect light evenly causing some hot spots (or focused areas of higher intensity light) It doesn't mean that it will neccessarily burn your plant or anything but light will be unevenly spread which is not ideal

Back