• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

NeedsWork said:
Total: 180 + 186 = 366g

I've noticed the plant seems incredibly fragile.  If you sneeze on it you break a branch.

Edit: Dried a bunch and they make a very tasty powder.  Looking forward to a surplus for winter.  

UesmBd6.jpg

1kA6npb.jpg

RVEVaKR.jpg

Well done Nick!

NeedsWork said:
I've noticed the plant seems incredibly fragile.  If you sneeze on it you break a branch.

Yeah, I got that impression too, even without having picked any pods yet. I'm glad I have three of these plants (growdown one is the only one I've posted pictures of), because one of the other two is the only plant I have that's suffered wind damage. And we haven't even hit typhoon season yet.

Man, you've got some great production going on, though. Great work!

NeedsWork said:
Total: 180 + 186 = 366g 

Edit: Dried a bunch and they make a very tasty powder.  Looking forward to a surplus for winter.  

Beautiful plant and pods, Nick  :thumbsup:

:point:
Mine is about 1/10 that size.

I didn't even know my plant had pods on it after I pulled them all the last time I looked at it. Looki here!

They be kind of dry looking, but every little pull helps. It's got some more green on it and it's in flower mode. I'm curious to see if it sets in 99° temps we're having.

367.jpg

I did have a few branches break (that had pods!  :tear: ) in a storm. Otherwise, finally had one ripen, and due to the debate of red vs green I picked a green one to try side by side. The red was surprisingly hot after a few bites of pepper -> chili dog -> chew.  :party: Doing the same with the green, I was surprised how much flavor came through, where I usually am not too big on green peppers. I think I still lean a bit more to the red, though the green has me thinking I need to give more green peppers a try, and I may harvest a bit of both from this plant.  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Here's my giant 7g weigh in:
FguMMpYh.jpg

I seem to remember the growdown pheno having that characteristic where the pod stem is tougher than the branch itself, so picking them in a rush sometimes would result in a few mistakes. Try using snips. Or support branch with one hand while using thumb and forefinger to bend pod stem back the opposite direction it comes off the node.

I just saw my first ripe pod today. Maybe Ill go pick it to get on the board...should I?

stettoman said:
I have two very healthy, identical and correct pheno specimens, each with one pod hanging.

My Large Orange Thai, on the other hand, has dozens of pods and no end in sight of the continuing bloomage.

Next year my vote is LO Thai.....dammit.

Same...This plant is loaded. Sherman's Carbonero Creme

H7B9SAEh.jpg

Pulled almost all the available peppers on the plant. For some reason some of the smallest pods started ripening and the longer ones are still green.

Made mutton curry, Biryani and mint chutney.. Awesome.

Total till date : 258g +151g = 409g

No new flowers on the plant. So will not have any weigh-ins in near future.

Give me the trophy already. Lol.
e8acf40718810cc1a661f1aac8d59a00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Back