• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

Walchit said:
 If I had money I would invent pots with a clear liner inside a black pot
Sounds like you already did, Andy  :rofl:

Orekoc said:
I got a late start, but I have 5/6 up.  One still needs to shed its seed coat.

Won't be winning, but I'm in.

That's the important thing, Craig! 

Good luck with the helmet head,
and with the starts you have going.
Great germination rate.

Thought I'd post an update of my two pheno extremes. Took the photos last night, so unfortunately they're flash pics and the SLX especially with it's broad leaves reflects a lot of light.

SLR
20190404_SLR850.jpg

SLX
20190404_SLX850.jpg

Walchit said:
I used smaller clear cups last year. I had problems but I dont think it was from them being clear, it was cause they were small. And I wasn't feeding enough, I think.

You will probably get some algae, but I dont think it really causes problems. Ive seen rockwool completely covered in algae with decent plants in it.

And I do like being able to see the roots. If I had money I would invent pots with a clear liner inside a black pot, so you could lift out the clear part and check for moisture/root development. If someone takes my idea, just kick me back some royalties, or lifetime free pots.
What about life time free pot?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Just as a reminder to those wondering about the name Sri Lanka Chili Red....

Pepper-Guru said:
Working on that now. Getting in touch with my contacts in Sri Lanka and sending them on a mission to put a name to 2 of the 3 varieties I brought back from there, including this one. Stay tuned.

edit: ok, dove deep and found out some more interesting information. Long story short, in the 1970's and 1980's there was a major leaf curl issue going on in Sri Lanka and there was a big push by the DOA to get all the villages to start breeding hybrids that have been made from the same main green/red annum chili used for drying. The official DOA names for the hybrids in this project range from "MI 1, MI 2, KA 2, Galkiriyagama, and most recently MICH3 (which I believe is the one I like the most and the one I refer to as "pheno 2". 

You see when I grabbed these pods, I took them from wherever I ran across them. Sometimes restaurants, markets, off the ground in town. Some were longer, some shorter, but all pretty much the same. Guess what...everyone just called it "chili"!!!    And aside from official articles by their DOA naming hybrids, there aren't any other names other than "chili". If you went up to cultivator working MI1 field in Sri Lanka, they'd just say "this is chili" same with a farmer in MI2 field and so on....what we are looking at is.......

Chili......hahahahah

Now if you guys want to call it MI1,2,MICH3, 456789er KA bla bla bla...be my guest, suit yourself! All I know is its GOOOD. 

As and aside I also found out the names of the other two chili I brought back from there. 

The "banana" one is HCA-01/Puna Miris

The "Cobra" one is Nai Miris

Here is some further reading on the matter: 

https://www.doa.gov.lk/FCRDI/index.php/ta/crop/34-chilli

Very jealous of the plant out line slowly moving north.  Great lookin' plants crew!

Pepper update.  My tent is a mess trying to make a home for the ladybugs.
2Xaj92B.jpg

My longtime neighbor and I agreed to plant some green giant arborvitae in the alley between our houses.  We each own 50% of it length wise.  I guess the next owner could dig them up - but I'm willing to risk it.  The alley is wasted space that just collects city trash tumbleweeds.  

I planted the first batch in 2015 on my property.  They (shown below) started off a little smaller than this new batch.  Now they completely block the road/apartment complex from our front window.  The critters love them.

MOHgJ1P.jpg

Rr5Z9KN.jpg

Menards has an 11% rebate sale - so I bought them out.  and picked up a few more from Lowes. (10 total)  Now i'm pooped.  :beer: time

x6V96fN.jpg

TqdxtEx.jpg

6P1DwGE.jpg

Walchit said:
Wal-Mart has shiskabob skewers in the bbq section for 1 dollar. They have been working for the occasional floppy plant I get. Fans help when growing inside. Looks like you have started hardening off. I would pot them upand add a stake of some sort and they should be fine

Yep. I like to stick the sharp end right down into and through the newest growth tip, almost as if kebobing the plant, it really stimulates growth hormone if you can get it right down through the entire length of the main stalk, as if it were a straw. This is a much more advanced method of fruit production than that of pruning. Pruning is so yesterday. Kebobbing is the way. 

Pepper-Guru said:

Yep. I like to stick the sharp end right down into and through the newest growth tip, almost as if kebobing the plant, it really stimulates growth hormone if you can get it right down through the entire length of the main stalk, as if it were a straw. This is a much more advanced method of fruit production than that of pruning. Pruning is so yesterday. Kebobbing is the way. 

I must say I live by examples..just sayin' ;)

Back