• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2022

Growdown Throwdown 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was actually a very quiet growdown... only 12 forum pages (for now) compared to...

25 (2021 XL antep aci cross)
52 (2020 fatalii)
104 (2019 Sri Lanka chili red)
70 (2018 yellow brain strain)
76 (2017 aji lemon drop)

🤔

...not a lot of production, so not a lot to talk about. :(

A couple of things...

As expected with us choosing a C pubescens, we anticipated a challenging grow down. On top of that, it was a dry year for a lot of folks in the US (certainly was for us here in Ga early on)
I would've loved to contribute more, but I wasn't really weighing the non contest plant each time. I think I had 500+ and then like 185g that I actually did weigh on a fb live (but none of that counts anyway as it wasn't my growdown selection)

I'll do a final update on what happened to my growdown selection plant a few days I guess.

But, it looks like we know who the Growdown King is, unless there are no other surprises.

Also, we should start thinking about varieties for 2023. Maybe we should all do a huge Peppa Peach stripey growdown with added bonus category for best in Stripes"?

1672372861222.png

Last edited:
A couple of things...

As expected with us choosing a C pubescens, we anticipated a challenging grow down. On top of that, it was a dry year for a lot of folks in the US (certainly was for us here in Ga early on)
I would've loved to contribute more, but I wasn't really weighing the non contest plant each time. I think I had 500+ and then like 185g that I actually did weigh on a fb live (but none of that counts anyway as it wasn't my growdown selection)

I'll do a final update on what happened to my growdown selection plant a few days I guess.

But, it looks like we know who the Growdown King is, unless there are no other surprises.

Also, we should start thinking about varieties for 2023. Maybe we should all do a huge Peppa Peach stripey growdown with added bonus category for best in Stripes"?

1672372861222.png

I’d be all in on PeppaPeach Stripey. Some of the best pickled peppers I have ever eaten.

As long as it's not a pubescens. A man's got to know his limitations, and I have repeatedly proven to myself I cannot grow them.

I still like the other two choices from 2022, Purple Thunder and CAP 455. I voted for CAP 455 because it looks interesting, and I'll be growing Purple Thunder regardless, ha. Not sure we can still source seeds for CAP 455 though.

Last edited:
32343 (2).jpeg

Received this in the mail from Downriver!
Thank you sir!
Now I can do something with all of those peppers I have in the freezer 😉
I will also need your address mate, PM the details please!

Absolutely. @Crazy Monkey whooped butt!

Totally unofficially Official scoring for 2022 Farm Locoto Growdown Throwdown (updated thru 12/28/22):

Crazy Monkey - 1226g
skullbiker - 566g
DontPanic - 145g
Downriver - 70g
Sinn - 48g
Bou
Broussardsfarm
Capsicum Connoisseurs
ColdSmoke
dragonsfire
Laytons Mission Sauce
michalsiegel
NateMitch
(there could be more)
Very disappointing competition for most folks....except CM! KING of HILL :clap::woohoo::clap::cheers:

So, as is tradition, please send me your info @Crazy Monkey, so you may reap your spoils!

I came in at 104g...mostly unripe pods

As long as it's not a pubescens. A man's got to know his limitations, and I have repeatedly proven to myself I cannot grow them.

I still like the other two choices from 2022, Purple Thunder and CAP 455. I voted for CAP 455 because it looks interesting, and I'll be growing Purple Thunder regardless, ha. Not sure we can still source seeds for CAP 455 though.

I grew the CAP 455 with little success this year. Kind of mild/bland, but my grow conditions were dogsh!t this year.

Hey @Pepper-Guru, do we have enough suggestions to start the 2023 growdown poll?

Back