• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Bhut Jolokia... HELP

hey all,
I just joined this site, but I have been lurking here a bit to learn.
I need some help with the Bhut Jolokia strain of peppers. I'm wondering what is the best way to germinate them.I'm doing the paper towel method and I'm going to set them ontop of the cable ( well satellite, same thing ) box since it is always left on. I'm not sure of the heat but its warm. I have the seeds in a paper towel inside of a plastic glad container.

Also, whats the best soil I can buy in the store? This is going to be my first inside only grow for pepper, and I dont want to get DEEP into it with the money. I always have all the lights and what not. I just need help on best way to germinate, soil for indoors CFL growing and tip/things I should know about Bhut Jolokia peppers.

Thanks any and ALL info is appreciated. Thanks!

I germinate by placing the seeds directly in common run of the mill potting soil in cups, small pots and seed flats. I place them in my snake/arachnid room which is 80-80F until they sprout then move them to the kitchen where they can get light

If a pic is better than 1000 words, here ya go
2zpuw6v.jpg

I germinate most of my seeds on top of my cable box also and it works just great. I agree with BrianS just use anything to pot them, I try to use a good quality potting soil though and not to strong on ferts when starting and most of them has to much so I mix alot to decrease it some. The main problem I had was watering to much let the soil dry out real good and then bottom water. You will learn as you go or ask and we can help.

By bottom water, do you mean like a pot with a dish or whatever underneath of it and just add water to the dish underneath so it soaks from the bottom of the pot?

Again, kinda confused on all of this.

Dose that cactus mix work good?

Alright,
I have them in the paper towel ontop fo the box.

when they sprout put them in soil.. In say... solo plastic cups until 4 leaves appear and then into bigger pots?

There you go jsut don't bury the seed with the root to deep. I place mine in there and put about thickness of a pencil of soil over the top. And try to keep them warm and give them light but keep the light close to the top of plant without burning them. Also don't forget to make sure you have good drain holes in bottom of your cups. You can keep them in till u get 4 leaves or even maybe more just try to keep a eye on the root growth, I used the clear cups last year and that really helped. Just an idea

Here's a tip for ya. go buy some coco, humus and perlite. germinate the seeds in coco (buy one of those 150+ cell seed trays, they're really cheap) and transplant them into a coco (50%), humus (25%), perlite (25%) mix. you'll get a neutral, well fertilized, well drained, CLEAN mix to grow your chiles.

Omri, whats your AIM screnname? I have some more questions. or I can post them up, but id rather talk through AIm since its fast.

anyway, where Can I get those products? I dont have any nursery's close, only thing is Lowes, homedepot etc.

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Omri, whats your AIM screnname? I have some more questions. or I can post them up, but id rather talk through AIm since its fast.

anyway, where Can I get those products? I dont have any nursery's close, only thing is Lowes, homedepot etc.
Don't really have AIM (I know it says I do, but it's lying!)... I do have MSN if you like to chat a bit. you can ask anything you want right here and you'll get many options from many different people.

haha ok I'll head over to the local places and see what I can find. do I need to use fertilizer with that substrate you posted above?

if so what is/do I use?

Well you could always buy a simple potting soil and use that, but I'm sharing with you what I tried and liked. the mix I suggested is kinda my "basic" mix when I'm not trying something special. always have around at least 100 liters of perlite, 500 liters of humus and huge stocks of coco.

"Special" things I tried and liked were "bark", "hydroton", "marbles", home-made net pots, sand/gravel mix, hamra (thick, rich of iron soil) and soaked rocks. I don't use bought soil for potting anymore, it's just wrong. I do use it for the occasional germination, but that's it. mostly plugs (Rockwool/FlexiMix) and coco for now.

EDIT:
Humus is a form of compost with excellent soil qualities. usually if you use a proper sized container, 25% will last for a long, long time. but because it's coco, you always have the option of adding coco fertilizers.

You won't need any fertilizers at all for quite a while. you'll have several harvests before anything.

Back