• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Bhut Jolokia... HELP

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Thanks.. what are seed flats? ( yes feels dumb )

This is what I call a seed flat. Others may call it something different

2h7du6d.jpg

Omri and / Thanks.

I'll head to store and see what all I can get there. Thanks again much. I'll report back from time to time for help/ new info.

Another advice for you is making some vermicompost. it's REALLY good for ya plants, and it's FREE. ;)

BrianS said:
This is what I call a seed flat. Others may call it something different

Here's one I am trying to find more of. I cut this one down last year because I didn't have room for the full version. They are 242 cells (11x22) and cost about $2.50 each.

container1.jpg

Mike

I'll see that link soon, and Yeah I think I', going to go with Omri's setup.

If I can find coco and perlite, can I add in some cactus mix to it if I cant find humus?

wordwiz said:
Here's one I am trying to find more of. I cut this one down last year because I didn't have room for the full version. They are 242 cells (11x22) and cost about $2.50 each.

Hey Mike,
Does that foam flat have a removable bottom? I kind of like the idea of that. Probably makes transplanting really easy.

MrOneEyedBoh said:

If I can find coco and perlite, can I add in some cactus mix to it if I cant find humus?

Coco and perlite would be a complete medium. All you would need is coco nutrients, which aren't terribly expensive. Coco is technically a hydro medium, but it hold water well and does extremely well with hand watering.

This is the kind of coco i get, it comes in a big brick and breaks up into A LOT when you re-hydrate it.
t_1855.jpg

And these nutes:
abonos_hesi_coco.jpg

Here's a pic of a tomato growing in a 3 gallon pot in like june i believe. It had covered the entire balcony railing in both directions by august :)

2986480687_11c1e3f3be.jpg

I also start seedlings in it, roots grow huge & fast.

And unlike most mediums, soil included, you use 1 nutrient mix for the entire season, from growing to fruiting. That's my favorite part. Coco has a lot of unique properties, you should google it : )

MrOneEyedBoh said:

Humus is basically the fertilizer, so if you can't find humus just use coco fertilizers. Hesi's are pretty good.

EDIT:
With coco you always keep the basic nutrients flowing. when it's time, you add the flowering/rooting ones and such.

Josh said:
Hey Mike,
Does that foam flat have a removable bottom? I kind of like the idea of that. Probably makes transplanting really easy.

Josh,

It has 1/4 inch square holes in the bottom. They are used to grow tobacco plants. I've seen them get 12" or taller in these trays with roots that have practically no soil left, at least on the outside. But you can stick them in the ground on a 95 degree, bight sunny day and they don't wilt a bit.

I like the holes in the bottom because it makes watering a snap. The Styrofoam floats on the water and the soil sucks up just enough water to keep the roots moist.

Tobacco growers raise thousands of plants in these things. Seriously! It takes 8,500-9,200 plants per acre and some guys may raise 25 acres or more.

I've never made it to Ripley to see the set-up in action but from what I'm told, they put these things in troughs with flowing water.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Josh,

I like the holes in the bottom because it makes watering a snap. The Styrofoam floats on the water and the soil sucks up just enough water to keep the roots moist.

Mike

Sounds like they are an all around good flat. You said you can let tobacco get 12" in these. How about other plants? What do you usually let them grow to?

Pk 13-14? lol whats that?

can you give me a list of what I'll need to buy? I think I'll have to go online and get these things.

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Pk 13-14? lol whats that?

can you give me a list of what I'll need to buy? I think I'll have to go online and get these things.
Well when you just use coco and perlite, the medium has no nutrients at all. so YOU add all the things the plant needs. Hesi (a very recommended brand of coco fertilizers) has the basic A-B nutrients in one bottle and that's enough to grow anything, but there's a PK 13-14 fertilizer you can add before blooming which makes a HUGE differece. you'll have TONS of Bhuts with it. that is if you go with coco fertilizers.

I'd say you need coco, perlite, Hesi Coco, Hesi PK 13-14 and Bhut Jolokia seeds. ;)
You could also use plugs for germination (like I do), but the coco is more than enough.

Almost forgot, don't forget the pots. :lol:

*I still recommend using some quality Humus instead. it's easier for you, and the plant will love it.

Are they hydro or standard planting supplies? I'm going to look online and see what I can find. But I dont know where to start. I'll just look for coco, humus, and perlite. If I get those, that is all I'll need besides seeds and pots correct? ( alot of info here for me to absorb.

Josh,

I just started using it toward the end of sowing season last year but some peppers were easily 8" tall.

The only "negative" is that plants get a little leggy, just as they do when sown in beds. But farmers always plant to the bottom leaves. City slickers figure that if a plant isn't bushy something is wrong with it.

Mike

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Are they hydro or standard planting supplies? I'm going to look online and see what I can find. But I dont know where to start. I'll just look for coco, humus, and perlite. If I get those, that is all I'll need besides seeds and pots correct? ( alot of info here for me to absorb.
You are correct. the Hesi fertilizers are especially made for coco, not standard Hydroponics. they have different fertilizers for that. although coco is some weird form of Hydroponics, I guess.

I know it seems complicated, but that's just because you got a lot of suggestions. it's basically a growing medium (soil/coco-perlite), fertilizer (humus/coco fertilizers) and pots. that's all.

Back