• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Bhut Jolokia... HELP

I found a hydrostore locally and it has chips and husks.

Also, what size perlite do I need? standard size? big and chunky? There are alot of choices with this kinda of stuff..

and I didnt find PURE humus. some blends has perlite and pumice in it already. Are these alrright to use ( like a pre made soil) and I can add in coco?

MrOneEyedBoh said:
I found a hydrostore locally and it has chips and husks.

Also, what size perlite do I need? standard size? big and chunky? There are alot of choices with this kinda of stuff..
I buy Canna. they have the standard coco which is coco coir and they have slabs. the perlite I use is 4mm.

EDIT:
I guess you could, but when you don't have control over the ratio, there's hardly any point of using coco.
Coco > humus, so if you can't find humus, just use coco fertilizers. they're pretty good.

I see that there is A and B coco Canna fertlizerss... whats the difference.

Seems that this stuff is used for marijuana growing too... I think ima stay away from online ordering I'll goto local hardware stores and see what I can find. then I'll report back..

MrOneEyedBoh said:

Seems that this stuff is used for marijuana growing too... I think ima stay away from online ordering I'll goto local hardware stores and see what I can find. then I'll report back..
"too"? This stuff is MAINLY used for growing illegal plants. you have no idea how many times I had to explain myself to the guys at the Hydroponics equipment store. "I swear! I'm growing CHILES!!!... honest!" :lol:
Don't mind the different fertilizers, as the Hesi Coco fertilizer has both, so there's no need to carry all the different types of fertilizers.

MrOneEyedBoh said:

Canna A & B is just a two part nutrient mix. It comes in two separate bottles because if it was mixed the nutrients would eventually solidify and settle. (I have a manual about it I picked up last time I was at the store)

I buy mine right down the street at Texas Hydroponics ( www.texashydroponics.com ) in fact I just picked up a bag of loose botanicare coco for seed starting today. You're not going to find it at a hardware store, you'll have to go to a hydro shop.

Don't worry about ordering online though, the only reason anyone would suspect you of growing pot is if you have a 2000 dollar electricity bill in a 2 bedroom house lol. I buy a lot of stuff at the local hydro shop, but I buy lights and stuff online since they're cheaper. You really have no reason to worry man, growing vegetables hydroponically is a legit hobby and there is a huge market for it, not just for growing pot.

There are tons of awesome online stores, check out www.wormsway.com, www.htgsupply.com, www.hydrowholesale.com.

I've bought a light from hydrowholesale before, on a friday and it was here on the next monday. HTG supply has hella cheap lights. And worms way is just an amazing store, but is a little higher end stuff. They have some good deals too though.

Omri said:
"too"? This stuff is MAINLY used for growing illegal plants. you have no idea how many times I had to explain myself to the guys at the Hydroponics equipment store. "I swear! I'm growing CHILES!!!... honest!" :lol:

Been there and done that also, Omri! I'm to the point when someone gives me a "yeah, right" I fess up, tell them I'm trying to grow 200 pot plants and ask them if the lights/fertilizers/containers are any good for pot. At least it shuts them up!

Besides, if I had to rely on local stores for my stuff I would still be looking for lights, mylar, containers, etc., or paying two - three times what I am.

Mike

Texas, at the texas hydro store, can you list the things I would need to get. There are many choices and I wouldnt be able to get the right ones.

wordwiz said:
Been there and done that also, Omri! I'm to the point when someone gives me a "yeah, right" I fess up, tell them I'm trying to grow 200 pot plants and ask them if the lights/fertilizers/containers are any good for pot. At least it shuts them up!

Besides, if I had to rely on local stores for my stuff I would still be looking for lights, mylar, containers, etc., or paying two - three times what I am.

Mike
I have this store, like 30-40 minutes away that's actually the cheapest in the country for imported gardening equipment. fertilizers, mediums, hydro systems etc. the only things I don't buy from them are FlexiMix (they do have rockwool), Marbles, LEDs and parts for my "experimental" systems.

This is great. I am looking at starting some hydroponics for the fatalii comparison/competition and this thread is great......:)

It's giving me heaps of ideas.......

My main problems is now finding a suitable grow box to do the job....

Keep asking questions MrOneEyedBoh.....cause I'm learning heaps.....:lol:

moyboy said:
This is great. I am looking at starting some hydroponics for the fatalii comparison/competition and this thread is great......:)

It's giving me heaps of ideas.......

My main problems is now finding a suitable grow box to do the job....

Keep asking questions MrOneEyedBoh.....cause I'm learning heaps.....:lol:
Coco is a easy way of growing monsters. not as effective as fully functional Hydroponics when done right, but way easier and cheaper too.

Moyboy,

Us on the top half of the world probably should have an advantage since we can use sunlight for a big part of the project. Someone will have to remember to start a similar thing come July or August this year.

A good thing is this pepper is suppose to mature in just 90 days from transplant, though who knows what transplant means - 90 days after I transplant it from its starting tray or 90 days after I plant it in the garden.

If it is the latter, that would mean ripe pods in the middle of August or so. That might be good or bad. Cincy might have temps in the low 60s of a night to mid 80s during the day or in the mid 70s to upper 90s or higher. But we always have a near drought, at least for about a month to six weeks.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Moyboy,

Us on the top half of the world probably should have an advantage since we can use sunlight for a big part of the project. Someone will have to remember to start a similar thing come July or August this year.

A good thing is this pepper is suppose to mature in just 90 days from transplant, though who knows what transplant means - 90 days after I transplant it from its starting tray or 90 days after I plant it in the garden.

If it is the latter, that would mean ripe pods in the middle of August or so. That might be good or bad. Cincy might have temps in the low 60s of a night to mid 80s during the day or in the mid 70s to upper 90s or higher. But we always have a near drought, at least for about a month to six weeks.

Mike

Yeah, for me in NSW, I will have perfect chilli growing temps till the end of april. Then in May it will start to slowly cool down but the plants will still be ok. By June our temps are no longer suitable for continued quality plant growth...and August is typically our coldest month.....:(

I am planning to use some of the ideas above but have my plant outside until May then put it under lights......Do you think that will be ok......I.e. will the plant react ok to that?

moyboy said:
Yeah, for me in NSW, I will have perfect chilli growing temps till the end of april. Then in May it will start to slowly cool down but the plants will still be ok. By June our temps are no longer suitable for continued quality plant growth...and August is typically our coldest month.....:(

I am planning to use some of the ideas above but have my plant outside until May then put it under lights......Do you think that will be ok......I.e. will the plant react ok to that?
With proper lights, the plant won't mind.

I wish I could tell you but I haven't tried it. You'll be going from what - 80,000-90,000 lux to whatever the power your lights provide. No doubt, any pods that have started to form will grow and ripen but I would think any blooms would fall. But if you have enough light other blooms should form.

If things go right and 2009 is a good year, I hope to have a 10'x16' greenhouse erected by fall. Ideally, it will be heated so that even in the coldest spells, it stays at least 70 degrees inside.

Mike

See, i'm still super confused on what I need.

Coco Coir
Coco fertilizer ( Hesi, I cannot find it )
Perlite
Humus

Correct?

Any other brand of fertilizer that I can use in place of the Hesi?

Ill be shopping at http://www.hydrowholesale.com/ . If you wouldnt mind, can someone go there and give me part numbers or links to what I need?

All help is appreciated.

All you really need is some potting soil that is fine, not coarse. But I've used coarse, just screened it to take out big pieces of leftover mulch.

You can go outside, dig up a shovel full of dirt and as long as it isn't clay, clean the rocks and roots out of it, sow seeds and have plants sprout.

Mike

moyboy said:

One other concern, and I would list it as a major one, is being prepared for infestations, especially aphids. Once you bring them inside, no natural predators. A single lurking aphid can multiply to hundreds in a very short period.

Mike

Back