• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Bhut Jolokia... HELP

Ok now i'm confused....

I got some perlite today and that's all good.....but I saw some coconut hush and it was stringy material....

Is coco (coir) a stringy medium???? If so I can't see how the bloody hell it works to keep the plant alive... I know it does cause I trust you guys, but I just don't know how it does it....:lol:

does anyone have a photo of the coco (coir) that they could post?

I thought coir was very light and air.....why do I need perlite?

Lots of question I know but I am a ground growing and I feel like this :banghead: at the moment cause I don't yet know about hydro.........Shows I don't grow pot....:lol:

no that is the husk media. Coir is like super fine. The perlite will help it to drain better and airate the roots.

Also you can add in some Humus for nutrients.

moyboy said:
Ok now i'm confused....

I got some perlite today and that's all good.....but I saw some coconut hush and it was stringy material....

Is coco (coir) a stringy medium???? If so I can't see how the bloody hell it works to keep the plant alive... I know it does cause I trust you guys, but I just don't know how it does it....:lol:

does anyone have a photo of the coco (coir) that they could post?

I thought coir was very light and air.....why do I need perlite?

Lots of question I know but I am a ground growing and I feel like this :banghead: at the moment cause I don't yet know about hydro.........Shows I don't grow pot....:lol:

The perlite is mostly to keep the coir from compressing over the season. Pure coir has great aeration and drainage, perlite will ensure it doesn't get squished down and lose those properties. i'd say 80/20 coir/perlite or somewhere in that ballpark. You can grow in straight coir, but perlite is just an extra safety net.

Here's what the botanicare coco i have looks like:
3176282543_229b8943f1_b.jpg

Here is my 2 cents worth. Last year was the first year I grew Bhut Jolokia. My best germination was from using peat pellets in a tray that sat on top of a heating pad I bought at Walmart that was set on medium heat 24/7. I had 100% germination!

I realize I'm about a week late for this... But I just wanted to give simple advice to 1 eye:

Get soil. Get a warming mat, if it's still chilly there. Get water.

Everything else is unnecessary. I grew peppers for the first time last year, superhots mostly. Just leave them alone. Check them every couple days, watch for obvious nutrient deficiencies and deal with it then. Keep bugs in check.

I just used potting soil. I bought some all purpose fertilizer, and some blood meal for extra N. Also, I got some seaweed magic (great stuff). All in all, a very simple and very cheap venture that was quite successful. In fact, I had fresh peppers well into December.

ddrsheden said:
Here is my 2 cents worth. Last year was the first year I grew Bhut Jolokia. My best germination was from using peat pellets in a tray that sat on top of a heating pad I bought at Walmart that was set on medium heat 24/7. I had 100% germination!

Hmmm........... this is the 1st year I'm using a heating pad and I read somewhere that you should turn it off at night. On 16, off 8. Is that correct? Any thoughts?

klyth said:
I realize I'm about a week late for this... But I just wanted to give simple advice to 1 eye:

Get soil. Get a warming mat, if it's still chilly there. Get water.

Everything else is unnecessary. I grew peppers for the first time last year, superhots mostly. Just leave them alone. Check them every couple days, watch for obvious nutrient deficiencies and deal with it then. Keep bugs in check.

I just used potting soil. I bought some all purpose fertilizer, and some blood meal for extra N. Also, I got some seaweed magic (great stuff). All in all, a very simple and very cheap venture that was quite successful. In fact, I had fresh peppers well into December.

This is great advice. A lot of us (myself included) tend to try and micromanage our plants, when quite honestly, peppers are very hardy bastards and will do quite well with minimal care. It's not rocket science, it's nature.

Another lesson i learned: Don't pitch plants when they're young and because they look like crap. They will most likely grow out of it. I don't know why, but every year my peppers start off looking pretty funky then eventually right themselves.

Omri, Its not that your not apprecited.. but these should NOT have germinated that fast. I have to get something today or they might not do so wel. I dont want the tap root to get any bigger than it already is.

BTW ( haha ) that root that comes out of the seeds goes DOWN in the soil correct?

Txclosetgrower said:
The perlite is mostly to keep the coir from compressing over the season. Pure coir has great aeration and drainage, perlite will ensure it doesn't get squished down and lose those properties. i'd say 80/20 coir/perlite or somewhere in that ballpark. You can grow in straight coir, but perlite is just an extra safety net.

Here's what the botanicare coco i have looks like:
3176282543_229b8943f1_b.jpg

Thanks Tx, I feel better now knowing what it looks like.

I will be picking up some today....

Another question.....Yeah I know....just go with me on this one....:lol:.....What size pot should I be using for my hydro plant? I think it all comes down to how good your fertilizing system is and not so much about the size of the pot?

I was thinking 5 gallon, or close to it...any thoughts?

moyboy said:
Thanks Tx, I feel better now knowing what it looks like.

I will be picking up some today....

Another question.....Yeah I know....just go with me on this one....:lol:.....What size pot should I be using for my hydro plant? I think it all comes down to how good your fertilizing system is and not so much about the size of the pot?

I was thinking 5 gallon, or close to it...any thoughts?

In hydro, rootbound isn't necessarily as bad a thing as it is in soil, since the roots are getting the nutrients from the water and not the substrate. Mostly, pot size will dictate frequency of watering. I say a 2 or 3 gallon pot should be plenty large for most peppers in coco.

You've seen my monster tomato i grew in coco, it was in a 2-3 gallon pot, but toward the end of the season it needed watering 2-3 times a day. However, the fact that the roots were one giant mass didn't seem to bother it a bit.

I bought MG cactus soil. I cut a bunch of water bottles down and I sowed the seeds in them for now. I'm going to see if I can fine a germinating heating pad for now...

Back