• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing Chiles in HEL - 2020

So this is it folks, I've recovered my password and bought 10 seedlings today from Jukka "Fatalii" Kilpinen. Didn't start any of my own seeds due to laziness, though I still might start some to sell.

Pubescens
--------------
3 x Rocoto Marlene
2 x Big Brown
1 x Mini Rocoto
1 x Costa Rica

Annuum
---------------
1 x Jalapeno Early

Baccatum
------------------
1 x Lemon Drop

Chinense
-------------------
1 x Fatalii

Photos coming tomorrow when I clean the junk out of my sauna and establish the grow room again.

Mildfruit said:
Wth, thats not fair at all!  :confused:  :P  
Im still waiting for my rocotos to produce, grats on your success  ;)

Thanks! It's my only rocoto with pods so far and my first time growing a mini, so a bit of a surprise for me as well. It's podding up fast now, lots of tiny little pods and lots more flowers.

Just came back from a 500 meter run where I was carrying an 8kg (17.6 lbs) chain around my neck. Thank God for a great pair of running shoes, else that would have not been possible due to extreme shock on the heels.

Bought some Aji Benitos from a local supermarket today, tried the top half of one just by itself and it had an OK kick but I don't know if I'd rate it 7/10 as it was advertised.

podz said:
Thanks! It's my only rocoto with pods so far and my first time growing a mini, so a bit of a surprise for me as well. It's podding up fast now, lots of tiny little pods and lots more flowers.

Just came back from a 500 meter run where I was carrying an 8kg (17.6 lbs) chain around my neck. Thank God for a great pair of running shoes, else that would have not been possible due to extreme shock on the heels.

Bought some Aji Benitos from a local supermarket today, tried the top half of one just by itself and it had an OK kick but I don't know if I'd rate it 7/10 as it was advertised.
You should consider getting a Power sled to push/pull or doing Hill Sprints. Much lower impact on joints.

Inoks said:
You should consider getting a Power sled to push/pull or doing Hill Sprints. Much lower impact on joints.

Ei se haittaa, olen vankkarakenteinen ja vain 53v :-) Flat footed is another story.

I like the chain because I can stop running and use it for some lifting sets or go to an open area and swing it. 

Rocoto Big Brown is dead from wilt. Not sure I dare to put other peppers in the same dirt. First time in my life. I'm so upset by this that I am going for a run with my chain down the gravel road WITHOUT SHOES. Really pissed off.

Without shoes  :eek: !

Don’t punish yourself, Mika! Is it possibly
related to the birch seed problem you had
last season?

My Rocoto Mini Brown is pretty much setting up a pod for every flower now. Already about 50 pods and a few hundred flowers in bloom.

So one of my two Rocoto Big Browns died (in a box of it's own) due to wilt. Guess I will need to empty all dirt from that box and start anew with some of my extra Sugar Rush Peach plants. The other Rocoto Big Brown is growing in a fantastic manner, sharing a big box with a Rocoto Santa Maria.

A few of the other Rocotos are also setting up pods - the temps have been 23-25c during the daytime and around 12-13c at night. This is perfect weather for them.

Lemon Drop has had pods already for a while and just keeps producing more.

Jalapeno Early is just insanely full of pods and now it looks like it has a bacterial leaf spot. Might be that I didn't wash it's pot before reuse and the bacteria was from last year. Not sure, but no other plants are exhibiting similar signs. This plant will likely produce over 100 pods before it succumbs to disease.

Fatalii Yellow is already growing quite well and has set up a few pods as well.

Guess the majority of my crop this year will be Sugar Rush Peach as I had about 9 out of 60 leftover that I didn't sell because I was too busy with other stuff.

Ace is growing like a little pig, already weighing over 6kg and 12 weeks old today.

Weather is as perfect as one could hope for - explosive growth of everything. 10 day forecast (in celcius):

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 20.54.03.png

Devv said:
hmmm...and I thought I was doing good going for 2 mile walks in the morning..and then the rehab exercises so I can move...lol

Well, bro, I'm belive that you are also a good bit older than me so the joints are something that always deteriorate with time. Mine will, too. In fact, they already have quite a lot. I'm just trying to slow down the damage at this point. Are you dealing with strong arthritis, or?

Beginning of this year, I was over 110kg (240 lbs) and I'm only 175cm (5ft 9in) tall (I am really sturdily built). That's something like 34 BMI (clinically obese). Was in metabolic syndrome, having problems with blood sugar,  blood pressure and getting severely sore for days every time I did any type of physical work. I became completely disgusted with myself. I dieted hardcore-ketogenic for almost 6 months and lost 18kg. There was no way I had enough energy to exercise when dieting like that, but when I got to the weight level of 92kg (202 lbs) where I felt I was able to exercise without a heart attack then I set my goals and devised my own gladiatorial-style functional training program.

Beginning a gladiatorial-style functional training program when you are over 50 and not already weight-trained or in any sort of aerobic condition is no easy feat. It stretches and tears every musculosketal connection point in the entire body. There can be up to 5 days recovery time needed between extreme training sessions with a heavy focus on protein, calcium and magnesium intake. More strongly, it stretches and tears every connection point in the soul. Has made me literally break down and cry, frequently, from pain and also from feelings of pure joy due to the unbelievable power and agility gains in such a short time. Seriously, I am able to do one-armed and clap push-ups now. I am also doing medium-intensity workouts during the recovery period, such as batteries of heavy kettlebell situps and swimming.

When I do the extreme workouts, I have to do them at about 4 or 5 in the morning in a large, empty sports field because otherwise people would probably call the psycho ward to come and get me. I'm swinging my big chain above my shoulders, whole body spinning in circles as fast as I can, yelling at the top of my lungs until I can't take the stress and pain anymore and then I let out one final war cry, put all my back into it and let go of it and throw it as far as I can. Then I chase it, pick it up and repeat the process as many times as I can until complete mental failure. Then I rest for a couple minutes, pick up the chain and go for a run, deliberately exhaling as loud as a wild boar every two steps along the way to oxygenate my muscles. Even after the running stops, I still continue the deliberate heavy breathing for another 10-15 minutes to keep the muscles oxygen-rich.

And then the EATING begins. Needless to say, I don't worry too much about limiting my daily caloric intake anymore while I am living on this training program. Occasionally wishing I would have opted for the medium-firm instead of super-firm mattress, though, when we bought a new bed several month ago. Rolling over on the super-firm whilst having aching shoulder joints is not really that fun.

Why this savage style of training program? My number one goal was to develop a very powerful core that would protect me from the constant musculoskeletal back problems I was having - every other gain is simply incidental and secondary.

Also worth mentioning is that I have Basal Thumb Joint arthritis in both hands. I won't let it stop me, but I might need to start taping my hands before workouts.

So that was a between chili growing posts post. I am thinking of incorporating the eating of fresh chili pods into my workouts i.e. chomp down a hottie during the brief rest periods in order to boost my adrenaline even more. Hopefully I am able to inspire somebody as well.

Well, the weather just won't stop! This is now being predicted as the warmest June in Finnish history. Nights are still down in the teens so that temperature differential that the rocotos need to set fruit is happening quite nicely. Every one of my rocotos has at least some pods now and the mini brown is just loaded full of them. I'll try to get some plant photos later today but my hands are a bit messed up now - broken middle finger on my left hand and a severely burned thumb on my right hand.

Just look at the 10-day forecast - this is as close to paradise as it gets :-)

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 3.46.08.png

And my dogs are digging the weather, too :-)

IMG_2701.jpeg

skullbiker said:
How did you screw up those hands? You need those hands to take the pics of the rocotos!
Anyway, I hope they heal up.

Broken / jammed finger when chain throwing. Burned thumb when I had an oil accident cooking outside. They'll both be fine in a week or so.

CaneDog said:
Damn podz.  Be sure to take care of those pod-pickers while you're getting yourself all buff! 

Good to hear the weather's treating you so well.  We just started to warm up locally and within only a couple days I can already see the change in the plants.

Yeah the weather has been pretty much equatorial / Ecuadorial / Santa Barbarial except the length of day here is like 19 hours now instead of 12.

Tried to take some photos but a bit problematic with so bright sun and messed up hands, too.

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

PaulG said:
Ace is growing fast.

That's what they supposed to do, right? 6,4kg weigh in at the vet on Monday evening when going for second vaccinations. He's still my baby and I'm still his Guardian Angel. His food is grain-free Salmon and Trout by PureNatural.

Back