• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing Chiles in HEL - 2020

So this is it folks, I've recovered my password and bought 10 seedlings today from Jukka "Fatalii" Kilpinen. Didn't start any of my own seeds due to laziness, though I still might start some to sell.

Pubescens
--------------
3 x Rocoto Marlene
2 x Big Brown
1 x Mini Rocoto
1 x Costa Rica

Annuum
---------------
1 x Jalapeno Early

Baccatum
------------------
1 x Lemon Drop

Chinense
-------------------
1 x Fatalii

Photos coming tomorrow when I clean the junk out of my sauna and establish the grow room again.

Maybe my right hand will not be fine very soon. It's a toss-up between 2nd and 3rd degree burn on half of my thumb and that is slowing me down quite a bit on everything. Had wife mixing up coco nutes for me yesterday. I'll know next Thursday or so if skin-grafting is required or not. Not much pain for the first 3 days but now the pain is just incredible and non-stop. 

Burn pain is one of the worst alright, Mika!
Sorry to hear you having that going on.

:cheers: for some good news on Thursday
and a speedy recovery!

Burns are NOT fun! I've been on fire a few times working as a fuel and emissions tech.

Please take care of the burn so it doesn't get infected...been there..

To answer your earlier question, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I used to ask my wife: "You don't hurt? I hurt every day". I didn't know it was me...I thought it was aging..LOL

Devv said:
Burns are NOT fun! I've been on fire a few times working as a fuel and emissions tech.

Please take care of the burn so it doesn't get infected...been there..

To answer your earlier question, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I used to ask my wife: "You don't hurt? I hurt every day". I didn't know it was me...I thought it was aging..LOL

I bought a sheet of Meplilex AG from the pharmacy to use as primary wound protection layer. 32 euros for a 10x10 cm sheet, must be magical stuff. It's large enough to cut and use 4 times for my wound. This stuff is the state of the art - it contains slow-release silver as an antimicrobial agent and it also contains a layer of "something" that does not stick to wounds when you change it. It's good enough to leave it on the wound for 5-7 days but I need to do inspections every other day for necrosis. Long story short - no working out for a while and I will gain some weight again - nurse told me to up my protein intake considerably.

I'm really sorry to hear about your arthritis, man. Have you tried everything to see if anything might help? Like going grain-free? Getting BMI down to 25 or so? Drinking pomegranate juice every day? Not trying to judge, just brainstorming what might possibly help. Those are the things I would try if it were me.

PaulG said:
Burn pain is one of the worst alright, Mika!
Sorry to hear you having that going on.

:cheers: for some good news on Thursday
and a speedy recovery!

Had my wife change the dressings a while ago and it is looking promising IMO - lighter color on the severe burn area, which looked like regeneration, and fresh blood on the lesser burn area which was not there before. Just seeing that gave me a really good amount of hope that they will not have to amputate my thumb due to necrosis. But I suppose even if they did, I would still find a way to be me!!!!!

Thanks, Paul.

Wow, burn wound is healing on it's own and no need for bandages anymore. Still hurts like hell if I bump it into anything. Need to wear gloves while working out. Went for a run with one chain yesterday morning and actually went to buy a second chain so that I can up my workouts a bit - go walking while dragging one with each hand.

Chilis - they are growing like crazy. All of them. Unbelievable. We have got like 8 sugar rush peaches growing now (didn't want to sell them all) in addition to all the rocotos, etc. SRP seems to be my wife's favorite chili now although she is a fan of superhots and rocotos. She even used a few SRP last time she was making our breakfast fruit juice with the slow juicer. 4 of the SRP's are in pots, so at least 1 of them is coming back into the sauna when summer's over. We reckon that SRP will be a totally awesome chili to use in our autumn salsa making.

The mini rocoto is just freaking loaded with pods but all of the rocotos are podding up quite nicely. There's still approx 3.5 months left in outdoor growing season for rocotos - it's around mid-October before the first freezes usually set in. Need to get some photos today when the sun comes up. Never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous amount of flowers rocotos have on them at the same time.

Weather has been cool and rainy. Chilis seem to love it - especially the rocotos are absolutely exploding with growth. Two more weeks working then it's summer vacation for 4 weeks. Not traveling anywhere this summer cuz corona but our 1-year old deck is large and awesome, we have a teak outdoor dining table and chairs and the best thing of all: hot tub! Wife and I sat in the hot tub last night while it was raining like hell. That was so nice. Kickin' back in the hot tub just admiring all of our chili plants. Like our own little tropical jungle.

Sounds like a little slice of heaven, Mika!

PaulG said:
Sounds like a little slice of heaven, Mika!

Yeah, Paul, except for these damned windstorms. We are in the middle of a 30 hour windstorm with sustained winds of 16 meters per second. Shit is flipping over outside again.

Mildfruit said:
Great to see your costa rica red is starting to set pods! if its anyting like mine it will be full of pods within weeks! 

Here are a couple of shots of the costa rica red. I had to do some serious butchering to the chives as they were starting to take over the whole box.

IMG_2758.jpeg

IMG_2759.jpeg

Two days of sustained, Cyclade-strength, straight line winds with even more powerful gusts and it's not supposed to stop until Friday. Our 15 meter tall flagpole was bending in the wind yesterday. There is absolutely no way I could have a conventional greenhouse where I live - it would be totally destroyed. I suppose a geodesic dome would last.

Had to move most of the chilis into a wind-protected area up on the deck where it meets the house. That's one of the benefits of container gardening. Those that couldn't be moved, needed to do emergency staking down with poles and clips. The wind rips off the growth tip branches from the SRPs and most of the flowers from the pubes. It's like an old grandma that doesn't stop nagging until everything eventually breaks.

Friday evening I will probably start moving the plants off the deck and back into their proper location.

Until then: Wind Battered in HEL - 2020.

Weather really been garbage. Winds never hit our backyard that hard, but constant rain and cold weather.. maybe next week is a little better

Hasn't been too cold or rainy here, just motherfuckin' windy. This would really be the precise moment when the pubes should be setting the majority of their fruit but the wind is so strong that the flowers can't even hang on to the plants.

There's a reason why I use a charcoal grill instead of a gas grill - gas grills don't work in the wind. It's impossible to grow tomatoes here because the wind either repeatedly flips the pots or breaks the plants. I had the same problem with my huge Manzano Rojos last summer, decided it's not worth the hassle again this year. All of our sunflowers, they are all either broken or killed now by this motherfuckin' wind.

Only place I've ever known worse than this was on Tinos Island, Cyclades, Greece. There, the wind is strong enough to pull the sunglasses off your face.

I guess I missed the part how you burned your hand, sounds like it's healing that's most important. Hearing about your wind is unfortunate, but somewhat soothing tho know I'm not alone because I constantly find myself complaining about the wind. My wind may not be as bad as yours, but still a pain. I've had a few plants broken from the wind and no doubt more to come. Best of luck healing up and growing those pods to finished product.

Yeah the burn wound is healing fine but very slowly. I will need to wear gloves for about a year while doing anything that requires decent grip strength.

Just planning the planting of a hedgerow along the side of our house and yard now to get the wind under control, but that's almost 7 years before it's full-sized.

OK, I might be slightly handicapped now with my thumb but I have gloves. Not gonna let that shit get me down. Grip strength is returning but still slightly weak. Skin is thin but the human body's power of recovery is just amazing.

Just went for a one plus kilometer "walk" at three A.M. dragging two of the big eight kilo chains. Little bit different story when there is only one chain and one can switch hands now and then. Two chains and there is no escaping the fact that there really are two chains. The crazies and teens out in the night don't mess with me because they think that I'm more insane than they are.

My bros, I'm here to tell you all that both my health as well as power is back intact. Sorry for being peukalo-poika (thumb-boy) but it really did hurt really bad. Over 50 and I just wanted my mama. Absolutely no sympathy from my beautiful wife who is the modern day version of Queen Gorgo. She keeps me on my game til the day I die.

We used our first jalapeno harvest to make a chimichurri sauce and grilled a big freakin picanha. OMG. One needs protein to recover and prepare, right?

IMG_2787.jpeg

Back