• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Growing out of season

While doing my research online, I've seen a lot of posts/pictures of successfully growing and fruiting plants during winter in much harsher climates than encountered here (Sydney, Australia, same distance from the equator as the Cali/Mex border with slightly higher average temps).

I'm planning to do an experiment over winter here, with late-season seedlings, a greenhouse/poly-tunnel and solar-exchange air heating, to see how seedlings will go in a warm winter environment.

Has anyone managed to from seedlings successfully over winter?

Theoretically, I should be able to keep temps in the tunnel around 25c/75f during the day, and dropping to 15c/60f at night.

If anything, will give me something to do over winter.

I've heard a lot of people doing it with tomatoes. I'm in Southern California and we don't get very cold, but things slow down significantly in the winter. I started in November once and it was just not worth the extra work. Now if I had a lot of extra room, time and kWh then maybe...

I've been eating fresh peppers here all winter from plants I cut back and dug out of the garden. With your climate it should be no problem at all. Probably the biggest challenge will be keeping the daytime high temps from getting too high.
BTW :welcome: to THP

Zander - The plan is to do it with no added power-usage, relying on reflected light and the heat absorbing properties of black plastic.

Tonly - Thanks for the welcome, and investment in a thermometer for heat monitoring will be first on the list once the structure is up.

If it works well, I might borrow some of your design. I don't bring anything inside and I only use a bit of protection and a 100W heater outside. I can't say it's been a complete success. I've got 20-25 plants that are slowly growing, but for all the work it's been I think it's easier to start fresh from seed unless you have a one in a thousand plant to preserve. If you provide a environment for the peppers, you also provide one for the pests. And as Tonly said, when you seal a structure up for heat at night, the daytime sun will cook the plants unless it's vented. In my mini greenhouse it can go from 40F to 120F in a few hours, and nothing is automated, so everyday I have to check the weather and open the vents or if it will be really sunny to take them out completely. Next year I'll be adding more thermal mass and some automatic venting for sure. Can't wait to see what you build and how it works out.

Zander - I don't think there will be too much temperature trouble, as the yard only gets a few hours direct sunlight in winter, the rest is reflected, so it will be down to absorbing ambient heat during the day, and using mass to retain the heat for night-time. Probably using large bottles of water (easy to move, cluster and separate to get the best effect).

This is more an experiment as well as a good reason to get me away from the computer and work, rather than a "getting the most plants/pods out of the hours put in". Working from home, any excuse to get up and potter around is a good one ;)

Will be keeping a grow-log, starting soon, so will be a bit if fun for all.

millworkman - Thanks :)

Back