• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Growing peppers hydroponically Need Help!

Alright so I got 3 larger plants in and got them transplanted into a dwc system. Not sure if this is just from stress of shipping or if I'm doing it incorrectly, but how do the plants look?
QK5ART.jpg

D43cIP.jpg

The plants have been in the hydro for about 24 hours now.

One other thing, it appears that algae or something is starting to grow in the drip setup, any way I can prevent that?
FNJomO.jpg

Also what is up with this Orange habenaro? The leaves have been like this for about a week now. Nothing different has been done to it than the other plants.
mq2zJh.jpg

Quick bump. Anyone know how to prevent the algae from growing? I switching the water dripping to just 2 times every 24 hours. 15 minutes each time.

you could probably prevent algae by bottom watering, but I wouldn't worry too much about it because I doubt it's harmful.

Algae is only really a concern in hydroponics I think. Then it is actively competing with the roots and can grow thicker. On the surface of the dirt, if you let it dry out pretty well for several days it will go away.

How are the DWC plants looking?

Actually the algae IS in a hydroponic setup, the dirt is actually perlite and coco coir. the DWC plants dont seem to be growing nor dieing. I trimmed them a bit but still they seem a little droopy. At least the smaller thinner parts and leaves do.

I stopped watering the drip system plants as often like I said, because my 7 gallon reservoir kept running out of water before the end of the week, even though its a drip system. So it only runs a total of 30 minutes each day, 2 15 minutes times.

Sorry, I did not pay close enough attention. What I meant was that when the roots are exposed to purely water+nutrients with no dirt involved, the algae may be a problem. In your setup, if the algae persists, then soil may be too wet for too long.

Ah ok gotcha. Thank you for clearing that up. So I guess since I reduced the watering a then the algae should subside.

Also here's a picture of the DWC plants. About a week and a half after transplant.
tMywkN.jpg

One last thing to show are some clones I got from pruning an explosive ember pepper plant. Already have 1 inch long roots after about a week.
iiLiBR.jpg

The reservoir is actually underneath all the shelves and is a solid black along with the solid black tubing that is used to pump the solution to the plants.
Does anyone know if you are supposed to trim the roots when transplanting either into a hydroponic setup or out of one? More specifically an aerogarden?

I'm no expert but your DWC plants look like they are not doing very well.  If they are recently transplanted, are the roots reaching the nutrient solution?

I ran an ebb/flow system and during a power cut, the pump stopped working.  My plants looked like yours in that pic as they were not getting enough water to keep hydrated in the warmer weather.  

If the roots are still in the process of growing down into the bucket, you might want to try a bit of top watering with some nute solution until the transplant is more established.

I'm also growing hydroponicaly this year so I think I can give you a bit of feedback on what I'm seeing...

First of all, I think with the coco/perlite setup the containers are way too big and you are watering them too much. You have to keep the containers small so you can water them often (like 2-3 times a day). As the plants grow bigger, you change the containers to suite their needs.

Regarding the nutes, I can't help you too much even though I'm also using GH flora series. I use them all in a ratio of 3-2-1 (bloom, micro, grow), but I have a ppm meter so I go by that, I don't measure ml.

With the DWC plants, did you ever water them since the move? You have to top-water the hydroton untill the roots get big enough to escape it. It takes about 1-2 weeks of doing this. Or at least get the water high enough so it toughes the netpots.

Ah ok I will fill up the DWC plants water till they start rooting properly. I just found out that there are aphids on the DWC plants. Does this affect when I should do the water on the plants?

Ok so It looks like the DWC plants are doing a little better. Here is a picture from today.
Kk1A75.jpg

All I did was add more water so that it came up to the second hole from the bottom of the net pot. Does this mean the plants are rebounding?
I noticed since I added water on Thursday that the plants' leaves aren't as wilted or sagging.

SUB'd

Sweet!  Another DWC guy, growing peppers.  

Taking a look at the last post, you definitely want to make sure the roots are getting water.  If you have to top water for a week or two, then that's what needs to happen.  Once the majority of the roots are in the water, you can safely back off and/or stop top watering.

As for nutes, I'm a Kelp4Less guy so I can help you with the different hydro nutes folks use.  BUT, I do keep my PPMs around 300-350ppm.  No more, unless I'm blooming.  Blooming, I'll jump up to around 450-500ppm.  Over the past two years, I've developed my own K4L solution that works great with DWC.  No crazy pH swings, but I do have a pH meter that allows me to easily track the pH, for each reservoir.  It's not completely accurate, but if I see something "weird", I pull out my Milwaukee meter and analyze further.

Anyway, looks like you've got some awesomeness going on over there.  As Blister and ebh had mentioned (and probably others), your drip system is sweet, but the size of your containers is on the big side.

Thanks! Well so after removing each aphid by hand on each leaf of the three DWC plants, they are back in water. I refilled the water and filled it till half of the net pot was submerged. Then I trimmed the roots back and repotted them in the hydroton.
XlhaLK.jpg

I was also about to acquire a large, 12 pot ebb and flow unit for an amazing price. I should be starting that up soon once I get the system in.

Here are the clones from when I pruned back my explosive ember.
2dm26W.jpg

Got some more updates to some plants.

From left to right: white bhut, cayenne, Thai
o3qO8b.jpg

All pictured here are reaper seeds being germinated. Except for the ghost which is the large one.
jdb5sB.jpg

Then in the drip system, from left to right: ghost, bell, pimento, sweet banana
IM2XTl.jpg

Top shelf drip system, left to right: red sweet, habenaro(forgot type), and cayenne
tsWxeW.jpg

Dripper plants look good. Did you ever get a ppm meter? If so test the ppm of your tap water by itself and I can give you a good idea of what your ppm should be in your dwc buckets.

Bump. Sorry for the long delay, I've been out of town this entire week. Just got a photo of the plants now in a table top configuration from about a week ago.
dgqRBV.jpg

I got back one for a day to check on my plants before leaving for another few weeks and found massive amounts of aphids and house flies everywhere. The hydro drip plants( ones on the table now) seem fine after I trimmed and rinsed them off. I also went ahead and moved the dwc plants under a t5 light fixture which has whiter light than what I was previously was using.
At the end of May I was able to get ahold of some 3 year old reaper plants. As shown they were trimmed way back to allow for easier transport.
vXGCuk.jpg

Here is a picture about a week ago of the same plants.
pnHvio.jpg

I was lucky enough to get ahold of a complete ebb and flow system off eBay for cheaper than the typical price, so I am considering putting these plants into that if it is possible. If not then I'll just leave these be and allow them to keep growing as they are.

Last thing I have to say, anyone in the market for some very lightly used hydro equipment? I seem to have a few extra parts I am no longer using.

Back