• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing some tasty stuff

20210905_135531.jpg

I really miss having these colorful babies in my kitchen. That, together with a very persistent gardening itch that has been bothering me since early December, made me give in.

Here's to my first Glog and starting seeds just a tad bit early. πŸ₯³

My set up is not as neat or organized as what I've been seeing here, as I've collected quite some different shaped seed trays over the years and have plenty of mismatching pots to go with that. πŸ˜€ Everything is set up for this growing season in the garage windowsill, making the garage my current happy place now that it's out.

Experience has thought me it's best if I start closer to the end of January, beginning of February, but hey, there's no fun in doing everything by the book, right? I've organized my seeds, reorganized them again and now there's nothing left to do.

20230101_124230.jpg

So I've started the germination of a few seeds (one of each kind, I'm trying to restrain myself...) with the help of the Deno method and I planted a few in soil. Put them on a heating mat to make sure they're comfortable.

Deno method, to see if these seeds are still viable: Brandleka, Turkish kill - unknown variety, Corbaci and a Mistery pepper. As well as some Cocona fruit and Leonotis leonurus.

In soil:
20230101_140408.jpg

Now what do I do with the coming days? ☺️

Last edited:
When I received some seeds from @CaneDog in the mail yesterday, I just had to try out a few of them. I'll find room for them one way or another.

I had the 12 year old make the selection. (I can really recommend this seed selection method by the way. Let me know if you need her help.) She got to choose three varieties to try. Right now, I'm soaking the seeds (two of each) in a mix of H2O2 and water. They're going in soil later today.

Joining the party:
Prik Leung (Annuum)
Rocoto Arequipa giant red (Pubescens)
Rocoto Puna Pica orange (Pubescens)

Really nice! Are you growing out all of them? And do you already know if you will put them in containers or ouside in the garden bed? :)
Great question. It's something I'm trying not to think about. πŸ˜… I had a garden plan, but I drastically oversowed.

Some of my plants will go in the polytunnel in the ground, others will stay in pots in the tunnel and then there are a few I want to grow outside in the ground and in pots.

There will be other veggies, fruit and flowers growing at the allotment, so there isn't enough room for all my current seedlings. I really need to go back to the drawing board to make a new plan.

How big was yiur garden again? I can remember it was quite spacious, as was your grow list. πŸ˜‰ Is the wild boar garden a designated pepper area?

Great question. It's something I'm trying not to think about. πŸ˜… I had a garden plan, but I drastically oversowed.

Some of my plants will go in the polytunnel in the ground, others will stay in pots in the tunnel and then there are a few I want to grow outside in the ground and in pots.
I see you have al kind of possibilities. Doesn´t make the decision easier! 😬 A polytunnel would be really nice to have, maybe next year :)

There will be other veggies, fruit and flowers growing at the allotment, so there isn't enough room for all my current seedlings. I really need to go back to the drawing board to make a new plan.
I will step back a little bit this year and mostly concentrate on peppers and tomatoes. Not enough time this year πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
But garden planing usually needs more then just one loop :D

How big was yiur garden again? I can remember it was quite spacious, as was your grow list. πŸ˜‰ Is the wild boar garden a designated pepper area?
It is difficult to say actually, we grow our vegetables in the allotment where the pigs used to be in the previous season. So no digging or getting rid of the weeds. They are really good in preparing the soil for the season :D There are three allotments and we keep cyrcling around, so one is for the pigs, one for the growing and the last one will rest. I think the biggest one is roughly 2000 m^2 and the other two are about 500 m^2.

The downside is that we need to build up the garden from scratch every season, so no perennials or nice garden beds. But usually we just need to dig some holes and put in the plants. No fertilizing and not too much watering, because the soil is really clayey and heavy half a meter under the surface.

I hope it is okay to post some pictures here (let me know if not), but here is an example from before and after the pigs went to work :D

Before:

IMG_20200425_091042064_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200425_091038423_HDR.jpg

After:

IMG_20210328_110909166.jpg

IMG_20210328_110921533.jpg

Mainly we grow peppers and tomatoes here, but also beans, cabbage, corn, watermelons, pumpkins, beetroot, carrots and some herbs. Basically all kind of stuff :)

Last edited:
Pigs are the best little helpers! I have to do with voles to loosen my ground. Can't say they're doing a good job with all the vegetables they keep stealing. πŸ˜‰

Your land is amazing. I like how you're working it, rotating the three plots, using the pigs. The view isn't bad either. My plot is about 1/10th of your biggest plot, about 200 m^2. (I really need to be ruthless and decimate my pepper seedlings.)

My first-born, the Shishito, is very unhappy.

First, its leaved were curling upward, so I put it further away from the grow light. Then the leaves started tuening yellow, so I gave it some fertilizer. Now, leaves are drooping even though it is not dried out. I think I messed up somewhere.

Over the days it also lost quite a few leaves. It's a scruffy looking plant now for sure, but it's still my baby. I'm not going to euthanize it.

Instead I'm repotting it and maybe I'll throw in a quick prayer.

Back