• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing tobacco like its 1688.

queequeg152 said:
ebay is where i got mine. perhaps start there,see what the sellers have to offer.

i prefer the established cultivars, tho there are few of these for sale.
what they have lots of is the old heirloom breeds, if thats what you want, then i would be suprised if ebay DIDNT have what you are looking for.

I only searched for stuff on eBay Australia since most, if not all, plant product gets nuked upon arriving at customs. I looked 2 days ago and only found Nicotiana sylvestris... Had a look just now to see a listing for 10x Nicotiana Tabacum seeds :) :)

Going to order some and hopefully get some to germinate :D

Valo said:
I only searched for stuff on eBay Australia since most, if not all, plant product gets nuked upon arriving at customs. I looked 2 days ago and only found Nicotiana sylvestris... Had a look just now to see a listing for 10x Nicotiana Tabacum seeds :) :)

might wanna get more than 10. they are incredibly small. you could fit 10 inside a match head i bet.

update time. 

plants are finally all potted up to 3 gallons. huge negligance on my part, but what ever. i never planned on doing this correctly in the first place.
plants are about... nipple high atm .

plants are hugely prone to tipping over now... they were rooted directly into the soil for some time, however we had some winds around 20 mph that uprooted the containers, ever since, they have been falling over daily.
my solution to that was to hammer stakes into the ground and tie them down. so far its not been a great solution, they manage to fall over in gusts.

i initially wanted to hammer three stakes into the ground, in a triangle, so as to grip the container snugly, however the ground conditions are in the back yard are puzzling. there are a series of large voids just underground. they do not appear to be the work of creatures, but rather are like, small wide shrinkage fissures. 
when i hammer a stake into the ground i often found that just an inch or two down, there would be just a giant void. i tried filling in the void with a few quarts of soil, but it appeared to be much larger that the volume of soil i had. im guessing it is due to some extreme shrinkage of the top soil, but im not really sure.
it was frustrating trying to find three places close enough together where i could hammer stakes, so i gave up on that.

its going to rain an inch or so early this week, im curious to see if these fissures disappear or not.

some flowers finally.

better pic

bottom leaves are yellowing big time now. really need to figure out how to cure them... i bought some eye hooks and cloths line... im going to try to hang them up outside for a week or so... then bring them inside for a final slower cure... problem is there is not much humidity in the air atm. i am worried they will dry out to quickly.

more pics.

need a bump for cactus pictures.

thanks.

cactus update. been a while, but... cactus grow slowly so nothing was missed.

the big stumps have been repotted into bigger bags. the root ball of these guys is astonishing. big stupid ropy roots like a fist smashed into the old container.
should have been  re potted a while ago. any some action on one of them, probably 3 weeks or so since direct sunlight, and a week after i repotted them. 

some new action on this guy too... its been slow tho. i guess because it has a far larger growing tip on the other side.

these guys are still hanging around... rooting very slowly. i only had the confidence to move one of them out into direct sun. the rest are just too sparingly rooted.

one of them you see just did not take at all... idk why. but like dash 2 suggested, i sorta twisted it a bit and tugged on it to see if it was rooted at all, and sure enogh it just sliped right out of the coir.
im going to let the stump dry out and recalluse and try again i guess. im not sure if its a goner or what. stump looks a little bit funky.

this is a peruvians... i droped this guy on its side a week ago, and broke off almost all of the roots... its been like 10 days post that event, and the new roots seem to be banging. ill probably put this one out in another 2 weeks.

THIS one is strange... i guess i planted it upside down? anyway, a few days back i noticed that it had roots growing out of the top of the cutting... i was like wtf? and gently twisted it around to see if it was rooting and sure enough it slipped right out.

check out this pup that grew into the soil... strange.

the roots i was talking about.

oh yea, and i found this pic on my camera from way back. these are the cactus... like the same day i got them in the mail.
i just planted them in some old peat lite, they seemed to love it.
picture says it was taken april 27 2013.

Valo said:

If they get nuked depends on several factors.

1. Scanned by xray (maybe only a small portion of mail as there are tons)
2. Visually sighted as being "suspicious" then checked further.
3. Scent detection by k-9. Unless you are very fu king unlucky this won't happen.
4. Ordering from countries that are suspect, such as Cuba, Peru, you get the gist.

I have found that domestic mail is immune to all these factors.

Leave instructions with your supplier to make it a plain envelope devoid of markings except for address and to stiffen the parcel as if were a stack of A-4's.

Happy days will abound.

Garretts Bitch said:
If they get nuked depends on several factors.

1. Scanned by xray (maybe only a small portion of mail as there are tons)
2. Visually sighted as being "suspicious" then checked further.
3. Scent detection by k-9. Unless you are very fu king unlucky this won't happen.
4. Ordering from countries that are suspect, such as Cuba, Peru, you get the gist.

I have found that domestic mail is immune to all these factors.

Leave instructions with your supplier to make it a plain envelope devoid of markings except for address and to stiffen the parcel as if were a stack of A-4's.

Happy days will abound.

I would prefer domestic but I can't seem to find anyone selling seeds.

Thanks for the tips about international mail etc :)

Go to www.fairtradetobacco.com . I bet you can find someone on there that can help you out or www.howtogrowtobacco.com . Plenty people from Australia and New Zealand on those sites.

just hauled it all inside. going to hit 28 degrees supposedly.

i dont think it will hit 28 personally, in my backyard, but it will freeze none the less. its not even 6pm and the airport is reporting 38 degrees already.

some photos from like 5 days ago.

heres the haul. not much right? ill do better next year im sure, warmer weather, fertigation, and 7 gallon containers im thinking. Im trying to get some prime virginia seed from a guy i know on ebay whos apparently a pro tobacco grower. we shall see how that plays out. Hoping to get some variety next time around.

here is the tobacco today.

im going to hang them in my bathroom, as ridicules as that sounds.... i dont really care. its got a window, a heater and an exhaust fan. its also got a shower... aka big ass humidifier, if the need arises.
ill get a picture of this insanity when i get around to doing it.

also i kept forgitting to post this earlier on. A pipe i got from a pipe maker in poland. if you go on ebay and search for Polinski Pipes you will will find this mans wares. its the best pipe ive ever owned easily. nice and fat, about 120 grams i believe.

i also picked up some tobacco. it looks like alot, but i buy pipe baccy every like... 18 months, 100% serious. a little bit goes along way.

Managed to get a few hundred seeds of Havana Gold and Shirazi. Being in Australia this wasn't exactly easy but they're from a domestic source, so hopefully they arrive next week.

It's coming into summer so it's a little late, but I may grow indoors where it is cooler. What season should they be technically be started in?

This thread has given me so much inspiration :)

they get far too large for indoors production. far too large.

just put them outdoors. cull them before it freezes.

mine survived like 3 nights of sub freezing weather. they do not mind the cold should you plants run that long.

Back