• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Guerrilla gardening

Armadillo said:
I would like the idea of peppers to feel like home and replicate and recombine themselves year after year.

I don't think thats possible if you have freezing temps or below freezing.

McGoo said:
Im thinking of a crop of peas planted in may through to july so far, anyone got any ideas for between now and then? Radish perhaps?

beans & peas are prolific! to a point you get sick of dealing with them, of course this depends on how many you plant of them.
if you're planting these for fun & for everyone (including you) to enjoy the veggies, beans/peas is a good choice also you could plant zucchini they're also very prolific!
theres so many choices to plant that are prolific (of course something that can grow in a small area & upwards if needed)
cucumbers, rhubarb, squash, tomatoes, chiles, onions, herbs (chives are fast producers)

I never thought of this. We have a large pond behind the plant that I work at and on the oppisite side would be perfect for no one goes there and snopes around. I am going to do that for sure.

bentalphanerd said:
He McGoo - cherry toms will do nicely too.

I just ripped out my crop of cherry tomatoes two days ago, they all went bitter. Its getting a bit late in the year to plant them as well, isnt it?

Pam said:
Say, isn't the Broome pepper a naturalized pepper in Australia?

Sure is & from McGoo's side of the place too.

I just thought the cherry toms might climb the corn and no need to pull up over winter

Hmmm, spinach could be interesting, something that anyone walking past could grab and eat. The broome pepper would be a great local variety to grow (if by local you consider 3000km's away 'local'), but I dont have any of those seeds. Im really looking to grow things which everyone can enjoy, less chance of upsetting people and having them ripped out that way. Also, plants that dogs cant pee on would be great, I dont need that extra uric acid nitrogen boost, thanks.

Spinach/silverbeet would be pretty good because it is a dark leafy veggie that can act as an edible border, and at a width of 1m you could probably put in 2 rows, or a single row with something taller behind it.

Are you on the sandy soils typical of perth?

Yep, nothing but pure yellow/grey sand. Cant hold nutrients or water worth a damn, which means you can almost treat it like a hydro setup, they will only grow on what you give them.

Just saw a vid onseed bombs. Could be interesting, people all of a sudden bet attacked by an outbreak of killer chillies.

I wouldn't call it "Guerrilla gardening", but the plan is giving people chiles as a gift (and they're practically begging for it!), and when they find the plant produces more heat than they can handle, I'll take the chiles. :D

It's actually working too well. I had to dry all my chiles, so I could store them for a long period of time.

bentalphanerd said:
Sure is & from McGoo's side of the place too.

I just thought the cherry toms might climb the corn and no need to pull up over winter

Oh, go currant tomatoes, they reseed and survive the winters here, I don't even bother collecting seed anymore.

Tobascos seem to grow out of nowhere too - I found this one at xmas that can only have come from a discarded pod (it is all one plant too)

photo0195xh5.jpg

those are huge tabasco pods Bent...

Was on the gold coast QLD, in between an east & north wall & pool pump brick housing...so only about a square metre of crappy soil & maybe 2 hours of full sun/day shared with a hedge lol.

AlabamaJack said:
those are huge tabasco pods Bent...

There are a lot around here - have always called them tabasco...maybe not?

a place i rented years ago in an old volcano crater had one climb a palm tree to reach more sun - it was passed the second floor window lol

I love them to make pepper sauce (vineger/peppers) out of for my turnip greens...I tried to make a tabasco sauce this past fall and it has been aging on the shelf for about 3 months now...time to crack it open and see how it is I suppose...

AlabamaJack said:
I love them to make pepper sauce (vineger/peppers) out of for my turnip greens...I tried to make a tabasco sauce this past fall and it has been aging on the shelf for about 3 months now...time to crack it open and see how it is I suppose...

I can get seeds from that exact plant....

Back