• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Guerrilla gardening

bentalphanerd said:
I can get seeds from that exact plant....

The two story one, or the one in the picture. Hardy as it is, I think putting its seeds into circulation among chileheads would be a boon.

bentalphanerd said:
I can get seeds from that exact plant....

that would be quite interesting...

the Tabasco seeds I have came from PRF and are original Avery Island stock...

I also planted Tabasco seeds from NMSU CPI last year but the Avery Island stock grew better/out produced by far...

If you ever get any of those, I would be delighted to pay postage and what ever you want for a few of them Bent...

Pam said:
The two story one, or the one in the picture. Hardy as it is, I think putting its seeds into circulation among chileheads would be a boon.

As I dont live at that place anymore the 2 storey one will be a bit tricky but possible....the one in the pic

AHHH yes, just checked & like a true chilli-head there were a few pods been sitting on the dash for a month...nicely dried too :lol:

Remember, there are several varieties of C frutescens that are very similar to Tabasco peppers. I'm not sure what the difference in taste or heat would be, but it would be interesting if you could compare Bent's with the Tabasco pepper varieties that you already have, AJ.

Pam said:
but it would be interesting if you could compare Bent's with the Tabasco pepper varieties that you already have, AJ.

Bingo...my thoughts exactly...

Getting back on message - I think genetics is going to have a lot to do with success of seed thrown wildly in the hopes of a result.

Something that has always worried me about babying the plants too much is the risk that the next generation will not grow if it doesnt have the perfect conditions.

don't you think it has to do with how many generations have been babied Bent?...

I don't know if scattering seeds and the plants surviving year after year would work here or not because of the sub-freezing temps we get....however, the wild tepins seem to shake the cold off and come back year after year..

in your case, you don't get freezes there do you?

No we dont get freezes but we get droughts & mostly crap soil. I'm sure it does take several generations but each time you use a heat mat to sprout, lights to spawn, sun harden, balanced potting mix, feed nutes...all that must be altering the genetics right?

For me a good plant wont produce the most fruit but it survives on its own in varying climates/soil/water conditions & I know if I take a seed & put it in the dirt it will grow almost anywhere.

surely seed from these plants will have a better chance with Johnny Pepperseed than anything that even sprouted from a heatmat

All I'm saying is take a look at the natural life in Australia. with that said, Australia is awesome. :lol:

Omri said:
All I'm saying is take a look at the natural life in Australia. with that said, Australia is awesome. :lol:

I have a Orange Hab growing in dry grey dust 2" deep. Under the dust is a cement slab. Behind the plant is a tin shed wall that heats up while the plant gets 6 hours of full sun per day.
Plant is only 8" high & has been there for 4 years. I last watered it in November. Has a stem on it like a tree trunk, aphids dont touch it......want some seeds?

bentalphanerd said:
Getting back on message - I think genetics is going to have a lot to do with success of seed thrown wildly in the hopes of a result.

Something that has always worried me about babying the plants too much is the risk that the next generation will not grow if it doesnt have the perfect conditions.

I would say yes and no. Yes, it is possible to alter the genetics of a species to the point that it cannot survive without cultural intervention by man. See corn, domestic turkeys, or English bulldogs for examples.

However, Capsicum is a tropical perennial species of plant that is being grown in non-tropical climates. If the seed is not warm, it will not germinate, so some of us mimic the conditions under which a tropical plant would germinate. I suppose my season is warm enough and long enough that I could start mine outside in the dirt, but I'd be waiting longer and getting fewer peppers. So, I extend the season a bit by starting them indoors in a house that I keep colder then is optimum for a tropical plant unless it is on a heat mat. Unless I was specifically breeding for a pepper that would be more cold tolerant, of course, in which case I would be far more ruthless and Darwinian.

We are, I feel, dealing with a plant that has been significantly altered by man as well. Look at all the wild type peppers, they pretty much all have small pods, and are small, bushy plants, for the most part. Do you think nature, all on her own, would have evolved those nice large Douglah pods with so few seeds/pod?

I also feel that some of those alterations are detrimental to the plants; take bell peppers, for example. I find them to be far more susceptible to diseases than most other peppers. So much effort went into making them larger, sweeter, and prettier that some of the genus' legendary toughness was bred right out. If you read about the new bell pepper introductions, seems like now they're trying to bred disease resistance back into the plants.

More later, gotta get some work done

bentalphanerd said:
I'm sure it does take several generations but each time you use a heat mat to sprout, lights to spawn, sun harden, balanced potting mix, feed nutes...all that must be altering the genetics right?

It wouldnt be altering the genetics in the GMO Monsanto way, but it might be allowing the seeds that would have naturally died out get a start in life and allow them to reproduce, allowing weaker strians into the world. I would imagine that all it would take is one or two generations of self-seeded plants to come up for the weaker ones to be eliminated, and the stronger characteristics to shine through. I would assume that by allowing Darwin's Law to work again, the strain would become stronger. But then, we dont grow chillies because they are little troopers (well, not the only reason), we grow them, I would assume, for their flavour and heat, and maybe their appearance, hence the wussy DNA now seen, and the ICU conditions it sometimes takes to make them grow.

bentalphanerd said:
I have a Orange Hab growing in dry grey dust 2" deep. Under the dust is a cement slab. Behind the plant is a tin shed wall that heats up while the plant gets 6 hours of full sun per day.
Plant is only 8" high & has been there for 4 years. I last watered it in November. Has a stem on it like a tree trunk, aphids dont touch it......want some seeds?

Seeds? Hells yeah! Always!

bentalphanerd said:
:lol: That's ok, I've got plenty. thanks anyway. :lol:

Pam - Would you consider submitting a small percentage of your seeds to growing a more cold tolerant plant - you may find it gets better every season/generation ...eventually you should be able to grow without any problem aside from fewer pods on those plants for a while.

I think Pam and I are on about the same thing. I assume its similar to dog bredd of British Bulldog:
british-bulldog.jpg

These dogs have been so selectively bred by man that they are unable to reproduce safely without a casearean. Awesome dogs though.

Anyway, back on track, I think Im going to plant some chilli seeds around my university later on in the year, see if anything comes up, and also see if it survives the gardeners.

Omri said:

:lol: Peppers are originally "natural life" in southern America, so what...

Pam said:
I would say yes and no. Yes, it is possible to alter the genetics of a species to the point that it cannot survive without cultural intervention by man. See corn, domestic turkeys, or English bulldogs for examples.

However, Capsicum is a tropical perennial species of plant that is being grown in non-tropical climates. If the seed is not warm, it will not germinate, so some of us mimic the conditions under which a tropical plant would germinate. I suppose my season is warm enough and long enough that I could start mine outside in the dirt, but I'd be waiting longer and getting fewer peppers. So, I extend the season a bit by starting them indoors in a house that I keep colder then is optimum for a tropical plant unless it is on a heat mat. Unless I was specifically breeding for a pepper that would be more cold tolerant, of course, in which case I would be far more ruthless and Darwinian.

We are, I feel, dealing with a plant that has been significantly altered by man as well. Look at all the wild type peppers, they pretty much all have small pods, and are small, bushy plants, for the most part. Do you think nature, all on her own, would have evolved those nice large Douglah pods with so few seeds/pod?

I also feel that some of those alterations are detrimental to the plants; take bell peppers, for example. I find them to be far more susceptible to diseases than most other peppers. So much effort went into making them larger, sweeter, and prettier that some of the genus' legendary toughness was bred right out. If you read about the new bell pepper introductions, seems like now they're trying to bred disease resistance back into the plants.

More later, gotta get some work done

I would like to follow both tracks. On one hand the "ICU"-peppers for taste and heat and on the other hand the Darwin-peppers to maybe find or breed a variety that can survive in our climate wildly no matter how it might taste. If those Darwin-peppers follow the same track as they once did in South America they might develop some good heat too to be spread by birds and not be fed on by mammals.

Armadillo said:
:lol: Peppers are originally "natural life" in southern America, so what...
Yeah, but Australia is full of weird wildlife. look at the damn kangaroo! you can't tell me that's normal!

Back