• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music guitar amps

i bought an amp off ebay, and im really excited to get it! it will be my first tube amp, and i can finally get rid of this POS peavey bandit 112 :P just thought i would share. haha

LOL. Thought it said "What's a tube amp?"

Left to right, 5E3 Deluxe and 5F1 Champ. Pure Tweed Horsepower!!
Note Miss Piggy trying to steal some photo action.
Live0008.jpg

mesa boogie rectoverb

i love the way boogies sound, and being as its a rectifier it will produce killer gain

chuk hell said:
I think both tube and SS have their places. In the end it's all about tone.

very true chuck. the peavey was not cutting it for me. i even put in a celestion vintage 30 speaker. even with a podxt live i couldnt get the tone i wanted. hopefully i can get good tone and just use the xt live for delay, phase, wah, etc and use the red channel on the amp for gain. at night in an effort to not wake the neighbors ill probably have to use gain settings on the xt instead of the amp. hah

texas blues said:
Is that a double recto? Combo or head? Lots of "chunk" I would think with the right speaker/cab. Crank it!!

nah, a rectoverb is a single rec. i cant afford a dual, they are like 500 - 1000 more, AND they are way too powerful. 100w tube amp 2x12 would blow the roof off my house. i dont play professionally :twisted:

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/...gle_Rectifiers/Rect-O-Verb_/rect-o-verb_.html

is what i got. its basically a 50w rectifier head. it will drive a 4x12 if i so desire. at some point im going to get another 1x12 speaker cab to match it, and have a 2x12. but not any time soon. ive read that turning this amp over about 6 is painful to the ears, haha

how do those amps sound? are they fenders? i played through a fender tube amp a while ago, but it wasnt a tweed amp.

Ross, the two tweeds are Fender clones by Michael Clark. I pretty much play them with no effects with a LP con P90's. The Deluxe tweed is 12 watts and the Lil Bit (Champ) is 4 watts, albeit LOUD tube watts. If you like Neil Young's guitar sound, this is the rig. Smooooooooth overdrive tube sound. Great blues tone. I've owned in the past 100 watt Marshalls, Musicman,Fender Champs, Gibson Skylark, Alamo, et.al... notice the Peavey Decade snuck in on the side in the pic. My favs have always been the smaller amps. Better on the ears and on the back.

yeah im probably going to consider doing some of my playing with earplugs in. sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

musicman makes amps? i have 2 musicman guitars, didnt know they made amps tho

and yeah, i should be fair to my peavey. its about 9 years old, and its been through hell, and it still works. i cant say anything bad about it. if this damn mesa hadnt cost so much i would keep it so i could set up a stereo chorus or delay.

The Musicman I had was a 2x12 combo and had a high-lo power switch with the high about 80 watts. It had tubes but with diode rectifier. Never could bond with it and sold it..too heavy too.
Some guys liked them but like other things Musicman...they went the way of the buffalo and the dinasour

you should try out music man guitars. i cant speak for all of them, but i have 2 john petrucci signature models (6 and 7 string) and they are incredible guitars. my fender strat and les paul have been gathering dust since the purchase of these guitars. the neck plays so good, and you can get all kinds of sound out of them. really, quality instruments.

I heard that if you play as fast as Petrucci on one of his signature guitars that there is a distinct possibility of destroying our solar system. I'm not much of a shredder anyway but I might consider the V Buckethead plays. Playing that guitar only sends out an electromagnetic pulse outward to a 25 mile radius, knocking out all motor vehicles and electrical components...as least thats what they said on 60 Minutes.

Back