• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music guitar amps

texas blues said:
I heard that if you play as fast as Petrucci on one of his signature guitars that there is a distinct possibility of destroying our solar system. I'm not much of a shredder anyway but I might consider the V Buckethead plays. Playing that guitar only sends out an electromagnetic pulse outward to a 25 mile radius, knocking out all motor vehicles and electrical components...as least thats what they said on 60 Minutes.

hahaha

if i could play as fast as him, it would be insane. im not that good, yet. its just really amazing the tone you can get out of the guitar all around. i think it might have something to do with the pickups too. once you hear some dimarzio pickups there is really no reason to ever have any other pickups in your guitars. my les paul has the 490s or whatever you call them, and they sound muddy and like shit basically in comparison. im really excited for my new amp tho, maybe it will awaken my les paul!

Years ago I had a Dimarzio X2N in a guitar. The thing picked up Martian communications it was so powerful but it also was a tone dumpster...just blah. The recto should open up your 490's just fine. If not my suggestion would be the Seymour Duncan PAF classics. In this case less is more....I think the SD is the same p/u or very close to Slash's. Course he is a Marshall guy with only an eq and wah in the chain.

texas blues said:
Years ago I had a Dimarzio X2N in a guitar. The thing picked up Martian communications it was so powerful but it also was a tone dumpster...just blah. The recto should open up your 490's just fine. If not my suggestion would be the Seymour Duncan PAF classics. In this case less is more....I think the SD is the same p/u or very close to Slash's. Course he is a Marshall guy with only an eq and wah in the chain.

im not a marshall fan ;) unless you have like a tsl 2000 head and a 4x12.

i did hear a newer marshall head that my friend uses and it sounded awesome. some 4 channel marshall, mode-4 or something? it sounded good, but way too much power for my needs.

oh god. it came today. it sounds so good. this, however, is my first tube amp (hopefully my last), and i have a bunch of rack effects that i used to make my ss amp sound better. plugged into this mesa, it just muddies up the tone. any suggestions on effects to look into? i havent plugged up my floor effects yet, but i think they will be ok. the rack effects were: eq, comp, and a bbe 362. i also have a furman power console thing, but im not gonna get rid of that. lol help? :rolleyes:

Depends on what sound you are looking for. What effects do you have on the floor? Are effects necessary for your sound? The main reason to have a tube amp is for the tube sound i.e. smooth overdrive. If you are getting that dialed in already why add anything? The more stuff you add in the chain takes you farther and farther away from the actual sound you wanted in the first place.

texas blues said:
Depends on what sound you are looking for. What effects do you have on the floor? Are effects necessary for your sound? The main reason to have a tube amp is for the tube sound i.e. smooth overdrive. If you are getting that dialed in already why add anything? The more stuff you add in the chain takes you farther and farther away from the actual sound you wanted in the first place.

this is the point where its obvious i have too much gear for a tube amp. i have a podxt live floor unit which i was using for amp modeling effects (zeroed out now because of the tube amp), but there are settings to bypass the amp models, cab models, and basically just use the pod as a delay / chorus / wah / phase etc board. the gain will come solely from the mesa, as it is incredible, even at a low volume.

i have a boss ns-2 also, which is a killer gate, and a boss ce-5 which is also a great chorus pedal. so basically i think it will go:

amp -> ns-2 -> pod -> ce-5 -> guitar. yes?

ross said:
this is the point where its obvious i have too much gear for a tube amp. i have a podxt live floor unit which i was using for amp modeling effects (zeroed out now because of the tube amp), but there are settings to bypass the amp models, cab models, and basically just use the pod as a delay / chorus / wah / phase etc board. the gain will come solely from the mesa, as it is incredible, even at a low volume.

i have a boss ns-2 also, which is a killer gate, and a boss ce-5 which is also a great chorus pedal. so basically i think it will go:

amp -> ns-2 -> pod -> ce-5 -> guitar. yes?

I'd just get a Morley and play straight through that.

Sickmont said:
I'd just get a Morley and play straight through that.

i want more than just a wah....

i love delay and phase coupled with heavy gain. man it makes for awesome leads

My preference nowadays is to keep things as simple as possible. I used to(in the pre-digital days) have tons of pedals for all kinds of different effects and i got rid of most of them to get a Digitech board then i got tired of that and finally discovered that i just like to play guitar, without(mostly) any extra stuff.

I think you are on the right track and minimalizing the rig keeps the integrity of the amp and guitar coming through. If it sounds good...it is good! Seems the older I get the more I go away from effects and go for pure guitar and amp sound.

texas blues said:
I think you are on the right track and minimalizing the rig keeps the integrity of the amp and guitar coming through. If it sounds good...it is good! Seems the older I get the more I go away from effects and go for pure guitar and amp sound.

I concur. I've even backed away from most of the distortion and crunch and prefer to play (mostly) clean. I just realized that i've turned into my dad!:rolleyes:

the clean sounds so good that i dont want to even mess with it. but for lead i gotta have delay. there is no lead without delay haha

hmmmm after messing with it for more than an hour nothing is working well. the amp sounds phenomenal by itself, but i really want to add the whole effects lineup to the mix. perhaps the effects loop on the amp would work? ideas?

this pod is a piece of shit. im about to sell it on ebay. it does awesome with a ss amp. but it sucks a turd with this tube amp. hell it doesnt even make sound. perhaps i have a wrong hookup, but im willing to bet it the pod that blows, and not me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615&src=3SOSWXXA

that is my first and only tube amp. i love it! ha my favorite part is strumming the guitar and letting the tubes kick in slowly. sounds pretty cool..i guess i wasn't used to it from the other amp i had that just turned on right away. used to play through some 15 watt crate (for about 7 years!) this vox has some effects and whatnot..but honestly, i just alternate between the different distortions from time to time and tweak the treb/mid/bass knobs here and there.

hope you get your set up sorted out.

xgrafcorex said:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615&src=3SOSWXXA

that is my first and only tube amp. i love it! ha my favorite part is strumming the guitar and letting the tubes kick in slowly. sounds pretty cool..i guess i wasn't used to it from the other amp i had that just turned on right away. used to play through some 15 watt crate (for about 7 years!) this vox has some effects and whatnot..but honestly, i just alternate between the different distortions from time to time and tweak the treb/mid/bass knobs here and there.

hope you get your set up sorted out.

yea i have made an executive decision. im going to sell all of my effects and buy a tc electronics g major and a foot board. this pod thing is incredible with a SS amp, but it is horrid with a tube.

Ross,

I have a 100w tube amp but I run through a digitech box for modeling and tone shaping. The trick is to run through the clean channel only. This may sort of defeat the purpose of a tube amp in the first place but it works for me.

I also use a Boss heavy Metal box in front of a crybaby on the floor. Crunchy-fuzzy!

chuk hell said:
Ross,

I have a 100w tube amp but I run through a digitech box for modeling and tone shaping. The trick is to run through the clean channel only. This may sort of defeat the purpose of a tube amp in the first place but it works for me.

I also use a Boss heavy Metal box in front of a crybaby on the floor. Crunchy-fuzzy!

yeah i listed the pod on ebay. i dont want to use the gain from it, because the gain from the amp is insane. i do have to get a wah tho! any suggestions? i had a crybaby but it broke - and i sold it on ebay, lol - but i need to get another one. of course the obvious choice is a cry baby, but anyone using any of the moded ones?

Back