• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Well I know where my next vacation is going to be! Looks like you had a blast, and you can't beat the prices.

I am excited to follow your grow this season, lookin out for some monsters! What kind of soil mix do you use in the smart pots, and do you find they are quicker to dry out? I have a half a dozen I am gonna give a shot this season, any tips?

:shocked: ............

Dude......

Those Thailand pictures are absolutely incredible!! Looks like you had a ton of fun, I bet the food was freaking amazing. Those beach pictures are jaw dropping! Glad you had a good trip man. I'd love to travel there! I'm glad I stumbled onto your glog, way to start one huh! Good to have you back. The mothers and seedlings all look great. Your already outside too! Good stuff.. Looking forward to following your glog Rich. Hope all is well with you my friend, btw, I'm growing some ButchTs and Bhuts from you.. they're doing great :) Thanks again bud.

Brandon
You gonna give those Fatalii a go? I'd love to see you start some of those :) Glad the Scorps and Bhuts are doing good, I knew they would with a grower like yourself. You got that ambition I like to see in your efforts to go "balls deep". Considering the start you've made this year, regardless of space or time, you still went nuts. I like that. We gotta talk shop one day man via pm. Esp regarding organics.
I love the way you grow, looking forward to following your progress this year! :) Thinking of trying out a monster smart pot, although I don't know if I will go as large as 60 ga! Beautiful pics!!

I know you use Seabird Guano, can I ask how much you add to your mix? Really curious how much you would add to such a large smart pot.

Thanks!
Melissa
Thanks Melissa. Honestly, you don't have to go that large. Anything over 15 gallons or so will do just fine. A pepper plant in a 15 gallon air pruning pot will get bigger and put out more peppers than you could ever want (unless you make hotsauce like me where more = better). There are lots of them out there on the market that are made of just as many different fabrics. You can buy them or make your own. Its all about what fabric you want to use and how much you feel like paying for a pot. I have gotten into making them out of the same landscape material I use to "mulch" my garden, after noticing that roots can grow right through them quite easily. A few needles and thread, it doesn't take long to come up with all sorts of shape and types.

As for the guanos, I like bat and peruvian bird. But honestly, chicken crap will do just fine. Find a freind with chickens, fill a bucket and bring it home to sun cure. Use it after a month or two. One thing to note...at different stages of curing, the N-P ratios will vary. Mostly high N at younger stages, and higer P at older stages.

How much you give to your plants?... Will really depend on a lot of things. The main one being..."whats already in the soil?". If you have a nice hot soil, with decomposing materials, and a living food web already in place, then the answer is "not much". Less is always more in the game of "fertilizing". A small amount of many different types of "fertilizer sources" is where the FLORA of the living food soil web begin to diversify. The more different benificial bacterias you have in the soil, the better.

A varied source of decomposing material helps a lot too. Thats where having an active compost pile comes in handy. I throw all the family's scraps in as well as weeds pulled from the garden, brush, leaves, barks, grass, old pepper plants, wasted peppers, etc...I throw it ALL IN! lol

Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

Wow Guru, that is so cool! I would find it really hard to ever leave Thailand...

I dig the #1 nursery pots you've got there. I finally discovered those at Home Depot a few days ago, and grabbed 50 of them...They're already full of soil and chile babies...

I remember last year seeing your black plastic weed prevention measures, and thought "Well that's the way to do it..." What I can't remember is why the heck I didn't do it! :banghead:

It's good to see you back!

Gary

Thanks Gary! Honestly man, I prefer real hardwood mulch in my garden. I think this year, Im going to try and get some brought in to go down the rows. Having said that, this landscape material is silt fence meets trampoline. Its not the polypropelyne crap from home depot. This stuff is tuff. And makes a great artificial mulch. I went for what the strawberry farmers do here in ga, just with Nursery grade material. Its breathable, lets water in and out. Keeps the soil warmer for extended season applications. Its pretty neat. I've also run full organic injection drip lines down each raised row. So this garden is like auto pilot after everything is planted for the year :)

Well I know where my next vacation is going to be! Looks like you had a blast, and you can't beat the prices.

I am excited to follow your grow this season, lookin out for some monsters! What kind of soil mix do you use in the smart pots, and do you find they are quicker to dry out? I have a half a dozen I am gonna give a shot this season, any tips?
I go with so many different mixes its nuts. I make my own. The only thing that stays the same with my mixes for peppers is the ratio of aerator I use (perlite/verm) its always 20% and no more than 30%. When you near the 30% and higher mark, you will be watering a lot, (which creates infinate amount of problems in itself)... The air pruning pots come as different as possible. Some breath too well, some not enough and you adjust your mix accordingly. Most of the ones, I use only need watering when the plants in the GROUND need it....now thats a good container!

As for tips...stay organic, learn it, live by it and you'll could grow a redwood out of a dixie cup. True story, I saw it one time ;)

Hardwood chips are the best way to go for sure—I just wish I had used about 3 times as much as I did last year, because the weeds still hammered me this year! The mistake I made was not mulching between the rows—That left avenues all through the garden for bermuda grass and weeds to invade, and did they ever!

Another tough gardening lesson for WC....

"You gonna give those Fatalii a go? I'd love to see you start some of those :) Glad the Scorps and Bhuts are doing good, I knew they would with a grower like yourself. You got that ambition I like to see in your efforts to go "balls deep". Considering the start you've made this year, regardless of space or time, you still went nuts. I like that. We gotta talk shop one day man via pm. Esp regarding organics."

I was going to man.. Until someone taught me how to properly overwinter ;) I had 2 1st year Fataliis last year that ended up getting almost 4ft tall (which is pretty big for this area) They out grew all my other nursery bought plants so I cut those back and brought them in, they are now in 20gal containers comin back stong even with the pretty rainy weather were getting lately. I still have seeds that I saved from them though, maybe I'll try some next year and see how big and fast they grow :) Thanks for the compliments my friend, I'd love to "talk shop" anytime you'd like. As for as being a grower, I still have lots and lots and lots to learn, reading your replies to other members I'm over here thinking I'm brain dead when it comes to growing lol.. you sure know your stuff man. It's a good thing were not neighbors, my Wife would wanna kill me because I'd be spending every minute of the day picking your brain about gardening lol. Hope to chat soon man! Best of luck to ya.. Phhht, I take that back. You don't need it. lol. :cool:

Hey PG, i'd love to pick your brain, still got some issues with my plants. But your pm box I think is full. Its saying "array" :(. I don't even know what that means! :) Anyways, hope you find time to check out my glog and help me out.

The vacation looks like it was awesome, I'll never make it there but its almost like I was....;)
Aaron

Rich, Love those Thailand pictures and seeing your grow getting under way.
Can't wait to see your progress. Learned a great deal reading your grow notes and previous entries/ posts.
Thanks!

Hey PG, i'd love to pick your brain, still got some issues with my plants. But your pm box I think is full. Its saying "array" :(. I don't even know what that means! :) Anyways, hope you find time to check out my glog and help me out.

The vacation looks like it was awesome, I'll never make it there but its almost like I was.... ;)
Aaron
Sent you a pm my friend.
Rich, Love those Thailand pictures and seeing your grow getting under way.
Can't wait to see your progress. Learned a great deal reading your grow notes and previous entries/ posts.
Thanks!
Thanks Alpha, you have a shop in the area or just online?

This is why I love my wife!

7118731069_1e3caeb09b_b.jpg

She germinated these seeds, mixed HER OWN SOIL, transplanted into 4" containers and raised these little babies all by herself while I was away!

That specimen is a Red Aribibi from 2Gods. 2Gods, if you're out there, we thank you sir! This will be a nice addition to my little Aribibi experiments!

Now granted, there are small signs of aphid deformation on about three of the smallest seedlings, as well as slight chlorosis on a couple of the huge seedlings, but thats nothing to cry over. There aren't any aphids anymore, thanks to the lady bugs... and after a transplant into some supa stank soil of my design, these babies will be so green I may feel the urge to smoke them! :high:
7119366997_4ea23d5072_z.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion
6972650418_1d5b18e144.jpg

Bhut Jolokia

6973286032_a05da35877.jpg

And the Brain Strain in its new 65 gallon home :party:

7119562219_bfe1e54d6c_z.jpg

As soon as all the seedlings have eaten up most of the #1 pots, they get prime real estate in the raised rows. Im thinking another 2-3 weeks at least. Stay tuned!

Good day THP. I just want to say that there are a whole bunch of awesome Glogs this year and awesome growers making it happen. People's starts are looking AWESOME. I cant wait to see the haul this year! I wonder how many pounds of peppers THP pumps out each year?!

Anyway, This was my view this morning as I sifted through the seed bank.

7138821009_3fd9d618fe.jpg

This year, will really be an important year for our garden. Im going through seed rotation this year. Essentially, I can see that its time to try and grow out most of the seed stock I've accumulated over the years and salvage whats viable, while producing fresh seed stock this fall. Lots of my seeds are getting up in years now. Probably around 6 years old(since the last rotation). There are some I've found that I really like and want to hold onto. So, Im growing em.

Also, this year is a tribute of sorts to all the great growers I've met over the years via travel and internet. I've been gifted seeds, dozens of different times over the years by people far and wide. Some even alive and kickin here at THP to this day! You know who you are! This will be for them. I'll be growing most of those seeds out as well, germination rates willing.

This isn't just peppers either. I keep seed stock of our families fav fruits, vegetables, greens, etc These will be getting planted this year as well. If only to ensure the continued enjoyment of our genetics, let alone it being a great way to meet my "fill up the 1/8th acre garden" goal...lol

Peppers...

golden bell
yellow bell
red bell
sweet banana
hatch hot pepper c. annum
pizza pepper c. annum
ethiopian brown
guajillo c. annum
black scorpion tongue
devil's tongue
choc hab
congo chocolate
long choc hab
thick walled red hab
huge yellow hab
long cayenne
c. chacoense (wild)
red savina (pvp)
red savina #2 (inverted tip)
aribibi gusano (caterpillar hab)
red aribibi gusano
white bullet
gold bullet
orange chiero
numexican suave
brain strain 7 pod
bhut jolokia
trinidad scorpion
fatalii
red fatalii
carribean red
hs red pumpkin
yellow pumpkin
t jalepeno
unknown smoked
thai dragon
rooster spur....just to name a few

7139258737_c9460b1085.jpg

We got our tilling/amending done, put back the ground cover, re-attached the irrigation lines, and got some planting done. Put in the squash, cucumber, melons, tomatoes, onions, peas, bell peppers, herbs and corn. Still gotta get in the potatoes, beans, carrots, zuccini, water melon, canteloupe, peppers, and greens.

6985849728_704e787489_c.jpg

7131885705_a8bed81345_c.jpg

Can you tell I use compst? lol This is the base of the Fatalii mother...riddled with volunteers
6985799890_37e3d71624_c.jpg

Look at the branching on this Red Aribibi!
6985793634_bbb24e8a0b_c.jpg

7131879215_5c3db336c0_c.jpg

They are ready to go!

Awesome Rich. As a first year grower you have inspired me tremendously with your shared knowledge and incredible grows. You're living my dream man. Big gardens, self-sufficient, nutrient dense, and country living. Sustainable future, here I come.

Awesome Rich. As a first year grower you have inspired me tremendously with your shared knowledge and incredible grows. You're living my dream man. Big gardens, self-sufficient, nutrient dense, and country living. Sustainable future, here I come.
Looking great as always Rich. Cant wait for your harvest shots and that beautiful Mother Fatalii!
Thanks! I can always count on you guys keepin the plants and I company as we start up the log every year; for that I thank you.
Seth, as self sufficient as we are, I wish he were even more so. I'd love to really get off the grid and produce almost ALL of our own food, our electricity, and heat. Thats my long term dream and current project.

Mill, I can't wait to taste her sweet, juicy fruits once again. I ate about 5 green pods off of her yesterday and boy did they almost feed my craving...lol

Seth, as self sufficient as we are, I wish he were even more so. I'd love to really get off the grid and produce almost ALL of our own food, our electricity, and heat. Thats my long term dream and current project.

That would be mine as well. Renewable energy, fruit trees, large gardens, well water, the whole shebang. Some day. You are closer than most and that's admirable. I read a cool article on being completely self sufficient on one acre of land. Lot's of good ideas out there. It's just nice to see some of the ideas in action.

The branching on the Red Aribibi is really cool, nice bushing look. That thing is going to bush up awesomely. Course it would when its taken care of by a someone of your caliber :).
How was the green pods in comparison to the ripe ones? I hear they tend to be hotter but with less of the flavor. Hoping to get my fatalii growing so I can try some of those. Its been a year almost since I had the pleasure of enjoing one. Right now it just got its second set of leaves, so I got a bit. When I put my seedlings in the solo cups they immediatly popped straight up and started growing really well.
:cheers: to you
Aaron

Renewable energy, fruit trees, large gardens, well water, the whole shebang. I read a cool article on being completely self sufficient on one acre of land. Lot's of good ideas out there. It's just nice to see some of the ideas in action.
Word.
How was the green pods in comparison to the ripe ones? I hear they tend to be hotter but with less of the flavor. Hoping to get my fatalii growing so I can try some of those. Its been a year almost since I had the pleasure of enjoing one. Right now it just got its second set of leaves, so I got a bit. When I put my seedlings in the solo cups they immediatly popped straight up and started growing really well.
:cheers: to you
Aaron

There is something to be said for most peppers at immature stages as well as the most mature. I don't have the opinion that the green ones are hotter. I know that the more complex sugars and compounds aren't produced untill the fruit reaches its maximum ripeness. There are always flavor nuances and capsasin compounds that don't become apparent untill the pod takes on those mature color wavelengths. The flavors and compounds that really make each pepper stand out in its own right, separating itself from other strains.

Glad to hear your babies are perking up! Thats always an inspiring feeling. Honestly, my main seedlings are still not fully establishing themselves after the transplant from the germ trays. I was very late getting to the transplant, and thats one thing the Mrs didn't do for me when I was away. Waiting too long to tranplant will bring on an entire list of issues if you're not careful. Mine are still recuperating, but I can see a DEEP green at the newest growth tips emerging that I know is the tell tale sign...things are gonna be getting good here soon :P

Look at the branching on this Red Aribibi!
6985793634_bbb24e8a0b_c.jpg

You're from Atlanta and you don't use Sweetwater for size comparison? Shame on you! ;)

Plants are looking good. You're overwintering post is what originally brought me here after doing a google search on how to rid myself of aphids. I only managed to save one plant, but it was totally worth it to discover this place!

You're from Atlanta and you don't use Sweetwater for size comparison? Shame on you! ;)

Plants are looking good. You're overwintering post is what originally brought me here after doing a google search on how to rid myself of aphids. I only managed to save one plant, but it was totally worth it to discover this place!
I like to try ANY IPA that I find in the stores man! Sweetwater is a decent brewery, as well as ShockTop but not my fav. I brew my own beer when I have the wild hair up my ass...lol I love a good high gravity brew!

With aphids dude....the truth is....they are everywhere and there is no way to rid your garden of them. Many growers lose their mind trying to defeat them instead of working with them. I've found that refraining from thinking about them is almost the best way to make sure they don't appear...lol Aside from that...all one man can do is set the plants outside and let mother nature have her fill of them. If that doesn't work, then that's what the universe gave us pyrethrin for. :P

You got a great start going man! I mean how could you say no to the ticket to the moon or whatever it was. I was in Negril Jamaica not too long ago and had quite the time. We'll just call it Ganjacation. That fatalii is beast!!!!! If you don't mind I'll trade you a couple seeds I got for some of them fatali seeds when you get some? I grabbed a chair for this one and will stay tuned!

Back