• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Well its that time again. Here's the Fatalii before and after the cut back yesterday.

8091670100_c8ab864b99.jpg

8091672960_ff9572b2e9.jpg

This is just the first phase of the cut back with a plant this size. I'll go in and remove more once the nodes I cut down to start showing new growth.

Here's the Brain loaded up again. Probably, let this be her last hoorah for the season and cut her back too.

8091673276_99c1bae889.jpg

How's everyone's fall going?

I never changed her soil out from keeping a gardenia in the container over the winter, and they only got one round of feeding in the spring. So all year she pretty much bitched and moaned,, but still put out peppers so I let her tough it out. LOL

What ever that frost free gardenia took and left from/in the soil, Mrs Fatalii didn't appreciate one bit.

Once more unto the breach. It's time to bring em in and relax for a couple months. I've pretty much got everything wrapped up here. Still have a few plants hanging around but I chopped about half down. This weekend I'll probably get the rest squared away. At least I have the bonchi to keep me company this winter! Cheers on a great season my friend!

Im Tempted to bonchi the fatalii. She would look super gnarly with her base wooded over like that. Still pondering...Seth, I'll have some photos from a band shoot on the 28th for you. Maybe we can put something together for some posters, logos, etc...?

Those plants are so nice. They must have 200 pods a piece. Never disappointing visiting your glog...except when the year ends, that's just heartbreaking..lol. Fall here is cold but the plants are hanging on. I'm trying to get one more harvest before Mother Nature's 'last call' can I cut back my plants a few days before I bring them in? I'm planning on putting them under 2-4 T-5 bulbs in those Eco-Walmart bags (like for carrying groceries in) they prob hold 2 to 3 gals of dirt. I was just going to chop them back and leave a little branching but no leaves.

Those plants are so nice. They must have 200 pods a piece. Never disappointing visiting your glog...except when the year ends, that's just heartbreaking..lol. Fall here is cold but the plants are hanging on. I'm trying to get one more harvest before Mother Nature's 'last call' can I cut back my plants a few days before I bring them in? I'm planning on putting them under 2-4 T-5 bulbs in those Eco-Walmart bags (like for carrying groceries in) they prob hold 2 to 3 gals of dirt. I was just going to chop them back and leave a little branching but no leaves.
I cut them back a week or two prior to digging up and bringing in. It gives newly exposed nodes a chance to produce leaves. Bettering your chance for branch survival when indoors under lower light conditions. Leaves will pull "life" through branches upwards. Most barked over branches with no leaves will not make it.

Great season PG! Very cool Fatali and Brain plants. Have
enjoyed your discourses on organics and overwintering, and
plan to try my hand at some OWs this year. Will be looking
forward to your next season!

Have a great Fall/Winter, bro!

3/5: I had my plants in 4 gallon containers and they moved easily into the bags without disturbing the rootball much got all their soil in there plus some. So far they're doing great. Though I did just look over to see a couple gnats flying around them.

Thanks Yemtol, someone gave us 3 and 5 gal plastic containers. We might use those, although I do like the bag idea myself. Gnats are almost impossible to get away from in my opinion. They are there in some form or another but I've never had any damage due to them, they seem to be more of an annoyance but they do possess the capability of harming plants.

Great idea, PG! That might take care of pepper maggot flies, as well?

Back