• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Haven't had time to review all the glogs on here lately but I remembered yours from last year so I went searching for it again..... and once again I see a fatalii tree! Just amazing!

I've just got my worm farm producing juice, and have already done a brew of aact so I hope that will help my plants get all the bacterial action going and get results like yours.

wow ..looks like the TREE shrank... theres a wee tiny leprechaun beside it...very NICE!!!
Kids aren't supposed to drink rich. That one looks like maybe 5 or 6 based on his height.
LOL! Thats my good friend and brew partner, Shane. Although he is even shorter than I am, everyone looks tiny standing next to Mrs Brain!
Thats an amazing plant Pepper-Guru. Home-made Porter too. Fantastic!
Thanks! Yep, this porter is MEAN! Just look at the color of the mash!
8041081522_023b6d4266.jpg

Amazing as always RIch!! What size pot is that in? I put my prized purple bhut in a 65ga smart pot, growing like a weed! Can't wait to have a tree like urs! Keep up the great work, and update update update!! :D
The Brain is in an 85 gallon. Air Pruning pots Rule!
Loving the Fatalii's your seeds have made in my front garden. Thanks again Rich.
Glad you are enjoying them! I need a few seeds from that batch I sent out. I'll pm you later.
Haven't had time to review all the glogs on here lately but I remembered yours from last year so I went searching for it again..... and once again I see a fatalii tree! Just amazing!

I've just got my worm farm producing juice, and have already done a brew of aact so I hope that will help my plants get all the bacterial action going and get results like yours.
Thanks Mega!

Ok guys! Update time. I know, I know...I've been absent lately. Been very busy getting these beer recipes under my belt and making them right. Were planning on starting off in the pub with 8 main brews at all times with seasonals all throughout the year. So needless to say, in order for us to be ready by 2014, we've been in beer tunnel vision mode. I figured it was a great time to STOP picking for once since the garden was in auto pilot and put my mind to these brews. Now that fall has really made itself known, its time to DRINK, PICK, and DRINK...
7791155338_6de8062b54_z.jpg

.....then get ready for the cut back and over winter on my favorite varieties for the year.

All I have been doing is picking, eating, and drinking. Seriously.

7791156334_baa40023b1_c.jpg

Bhuts

7913780748_88579767bb_c.jpg

Roosters

7913783144_95ef145614_c.jpg

Red Aribibi from 2Gods

7913789826_5f64d78d6f_b.jpg

7913792594_2c2646ec42_b.jpg

Okra

7913799208_5689e2cbf4_c.jpg

Drying Table, round after round

7913825674_7ebc10a982_c.jpg

7913784902_c910ff27e1_c.jpg

I'll keep the updates and harvest pics coming from here on out til the end!

Happy Fall Harvest THP!

Excellent update. Plants look beautiful and that harvest is killer. Does your drying room burn your eyes and nose?

WOw man. Looks like you are rolling in the pods and doing something about it! Dig that jelly man! I've been really into pepper jam lately. Tasty addition to many a dish. Plants are rollin right along. How much longer in Atlantis till the cold? You guys get into Nov-Dec?

Oh, that beer looks tasty as hell. Choice Porter Guru! :beer:

Things are looking good for you. Been chasing your threads for advice all season to which I give much of the credit for my successful first season. I had to cut things off early this year because of a move, but I've got my two favorites in smart pots in the basement for next spring. Thanks for all your great info.

Also, What would it take to talk you out of a jar of that jam? PM me if I might be able to.

I love that idea for a jam. I've made so much pepper jelly jam this year (including fatalii pear which turned out great)... but I think I'm going to have to try that combination. We've got some old strawberries in the freezer my wife doesn't know what to do with and I think I can find some brain strains... Great to see you updating again.

That jam looks awesome. Care to share a recipe or a link to a recipe? I really want to make some jam, never did it before even though my username seems it hehe. :)

WOw man. Looks like you are rolling in the pods and doing something about it! Dig that jelly man! I've been really into pepper jam lately. Tasty addition to many a dish. Plants are rollin right along. How much longer in Atlantis till the cold? You guys get into Nov-Dec?

Oh, that beer looks tasty as hell. Choice Porter Guru! :beer:
Yep! But this year Im goin in early to avoid freak frost loss like last year. I got some gems out there I wanna hold onto. The Red Aribibi is damn close to dead on as a good cross. One pheno wasnt right so that one can become compost, but the two keepers are coming inside. Also my original Butch T plants from seed this year must have been crosed with the bhut. Getting soem funky variations. Gonna have to luck out on a decent enough pod amongst the bhuts and scorpions this year. Or try to start some more from the last years seed pods. Ill pull before Nov 1.
Wahooo! Awesome rich. But wait, where is momma fatalii?
Right here. Back right. She struggled this year with soil issues. For the record I fed only once this entire season. That was at the begining of summer with trout hydrolysate. Things are yellowing just now, leaves are falling, Autumn is here, the season comes to an end.

8043844574_c145127762_b.jpg

Things are looking good for you. Been chasing your threads for advice all season to which I give much of the credit for my successful first season. I had to cut things off early this year because of a move, but I've got my two favorites in smart pots in the basement for next spring. Thanks for all your great info.

Also, What would it take to talk you out of a jar of that jam? PM me if I might be able to.
Very Nice!!! I need a vacation!!
I love that idea for a jam. I've made so much pepper jelly jam this year (including fatalii pear which turned out great)... but I think I'm going to have to try that combination. We've got some old strawberries in the freezer my wife doesn't know what to do with and I think I can find some brain strains... Great to see you updating again.
That jam looks awesome. Care to share a recipe or a link to a recipe? I really want to make some jam, never did it before even though my username seems it hehe. :)

Dragon, we all need a vacation! Just put me in the jungle with some peppers and Im good!

Guys, I think the my wife just gets those pectin jelly kits and slams stuff together. I come in, smile and say "cool! " While shes not looking , I put more peppers in and walk away as calm as possible. :P

AWESOME update rich... sad to see you guys already going into frost mode....thanks again for the fatalii seeds... already have them in the aerogarden germing....hopefully here in socal we shall have a 1 week frost and can have them out by jan/feb... we'll see.. this year we got our first good summer (2months of 90+ weather---i mean.. everyday!!!) so who knows what mother nature will bring.... love the okra shots.. didnt know they grew that big.... should try some of the purple ones.... yummy and have nice color to them...

Guru, you said something about "end of the season" I take it that a pepper, a perennial, still reacts with the seasons?

Is that why a lot of folks are seeing leaf drop and fruit maturing real small. The plant think it is time to "shut down" for the year?

AWESOME update rich... sad to see you guys already going into frost mode....thanks again for the fatalii seeds... already have them in the aerogarden germing....hopefully here in socal we shall have a 1 week frost and can have them out by jan/feb... we'll see.. this year we got our first good summer (2months of 90+ weather---i mean.. everyday!!!) so who knows what mother nature will bring.... love the okra shots.. didnt know they grew that big.... should try some of the purple ones.... yummy and have nice color to them...
Its a bitter sweet time of the year indeed. purple okra sounds wild!
Guru, if you find yourself with extra fatalli seeds, PM me. I'd love to purchase some from you.
Let me get Mrs Fatalii back into good health and you got it dude.
WOW Rich. That's a hell of a harvest. The plant size is amazing too! Keep up the great work.

Chris
Thanks dude! And thanks for the seeds! Gonna have some fun next year!
Wow man! What a mass of peppers on them plants! They are gigantic. You truly are the Pepper Guru!
Haha! Yep, they need to be picked again! Thanks man
Guru, you said something about "end of the season" I take it that a pepper, a perennial, still reacts with the seasons?

Is that why a lot of folks are seeing leaf drop and fruit maturing real small. The plant think it is time to "shut down" for the year?

Sort of. Its got more to do with temp and sun angle, along with the fact that I havent fed them since the first feeding and now, they are just about done depleting much of the good N so you see the yellowing as they turn in on themselves and begin taking what they need from the leaves. For the most part even perrenials have a die back if not grown in their natural habitat and temps get low. The root stock is what the plant is really worried about. Waiting for the next spring to come so it can shoot out new branches. Late season fruit always tends to be more plentiful but smaller, while early season fruits are the largest and less plentiful.

Back