• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

haha! Well, with most mainstream beers under 6% abv, yeah, I'd need to drink em all. I keg now so no more bottles for me, but most of the beers I brew are imperials so ya drink a glass at 11-14% and youre done for the night :)

Not too big on the imperials for that reason. I like to have a dew and still function. I do have Old Rasputin from North Coast on at home right now. That pretty good for an imperial.

MMMMMMMM, that looks awesome Rich. Can't wait for it to get a little cooler so I can have my next brewday. Going for a super hoppy but super dark IPA. Looking like 12-15% and 112-130 ibus.

This may be blasphemy, but has anybody tried the Guinness Black Lager, yet?

Never heard of it! I'll try it and let ya know. Guinness here in the states isn't even near as good as had from any pub in Ireland I'm afraid. So I can't imagine it being any different with their lagers.

Mill, what yeast you going with on that?

You got some processing to do.

On another note, seeing that you grew some okra, if I remember correctly. Went to a store today, they had dried salted okra, it is damn good.

Ever heard of okra prepared in that manner?

Dried, nice green color, and salted. Got them at an organic food store called Sprouts. Look into it.

Another great year sir...have a quiet winter.

Crunchy okra...forgot that part......

send me a bottle we little one...

very nice... pls describe the taste.. and send some corned beef
The taste is SUPER coffee and a hint of dark cacao bean with a major irony finish. Black hole black, with a dark brown head retention. At 14% its definitely a nice brew to savor and treat with respect. Hence the name " Mean ole Mick". The corned beef spices leave the taste of Ireland on your tongue ever so lightly, memories of pub jubilee rack the brain as one attempts to pinpoint the flavor.

Heres our flagship IPA "Paradigm Shift". With huge respect for DFH brewer Sam, its our answer to his 90 minute, except ....better....way better. 11% abv featuring a shit load of Summit and Chinook to balance the load of a grain bill for this brew.

8151273949_974620f43a.jpg

Im working on a 2012 garden video recap right now, to showcase the grow this year. Soon to come

Well I attempted to get this posted before the clock struck Midnight and it was technically January 1st 2013. That didn't happen but none the less, today marks the end of the 2012 season and my 2012 grow log. I hope you enjoyed the ride this year. I know I learned a bunch from everyone. We try and do that every year. Always shooting for progress and advancement of our skills into the next year.

If you're expecting seeds from me, thanks for your patience. I promise I'll get em out. (2Gods :) ) Next year is gonna be an interesting year. Trying all new seed stock from other members and leaving my genetics alone for a season or two.

Even though I haven't had time to post here lately, I really enjoy my time here at THP. The site is full of good stuff and the members are great too. Keep warm this winter and look towards the spring sun. Until then, its lagers in the basement and finishing off the ales from this fall. Happy 2013 THP :cheers:

Back