• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hab Will Not Be Outdone By More Advantaged Colleagues

I'm a big believer in using quality potting mix in your containers. However, when I had a plant left over that I didn't want to waste, I jammed it into a clay pot of Georgia red clay dug up from my yard with a handful of peat in it. This thing isn't going to be outdone though. Look at the fruit set on it (many cases of two per node) and the blooms! This is the "Little Engine that Could". I'm ashamed of myself for not giving it a better place to put its feet. Life is strong.

Mike

habpot7112.jpg

WOW!!! I have bought plants that were growing great but seemed rootbound, but they were really growing in clay-ish soil. I think it's pretty hard for the roots to move good through the stiffer clay than a more sandy mix but the clay probably holds more water and nutrients . Mine are in various mixes and every now and then the soil I buy has some clay qualities to it and the peppers planted in this seem to do exceptionally well. This one sure seems happy! :D

i love what the bible says

GOD TAKES THE KNOWLEDGE OF MAN AND TURNS IT TO FOOLISHNESS

now normally this might offend some but when you see things like this happen you just gotta wonder dontcha??

that thing has a strong will to live and its living very well given what its given
i have seen habs that where spoiled and didn't do this good

thanks your friend Joe

Mother nature has her way. You could grow a pepper in a pot full of anything so long as it isn't toxic to the plant and it gets the right nutes... but I like dirt, it's dirt cheap. ;)

Yes!!!! even though native soil has small particals making it not ideal for container culture it can really work!!

Here is 2 cayenne I have in native clay/sand soil. I hope they produce like yours!!!

014-2.jpg

Back