• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense "Habanero Golds" Ready to Pick

Last year, I found peppers labeled "habanero gold" at a local market. These were gigantic habaneros. Some were bright yellow, like a banana, and others were bright red. They were super sweet and fruity. Best I've ever had. Very hot, but not too hot to be useful.

I have no idea what kind of peppers these really are. If anyone has a clue, let me know. They get as big as a small tangerine. You can see them at this link:

CLICK.

Thanks to Trinihottie, I also have a scorpion bush that is starting to bear. It's very large and sturdy. The peppers are still too small to eat.

Might as well add a review. I just sliced one for a friend who wanted seeds. Very, very sweet. Not as hot as some habaneros. I also seeded a fatalii, a white habanero, a tobago seasoning pepper, some prig ki nus, and a hot chocolate pepper.

The hot chocolate was excellent. Lots of smoky flavor, but not so hot you can't cook with it. The prig ki nus were a little hard to taste after that. I bit into the fatalii, and it was so hot I had to spit it into the sink almost immediately. But it had a great peachy-apricot-citrus sort of flavor. Sweet. I didn't even fool with the white habaneros. I know better.

Mine had a flavor like the smell of sulfuric acid. What is commonly called "smoky." And they were so damn hot I didn't know what to do with them.

mmm... smokey habs

I've got some YellowFire habs growing there's about 200 small yellow berries on the bush. they'll be picked in the next couple of days and meet my mortar and pestle where they'll be treated roughly and turned into mash. they have a good heat and extremely smokey flavour.

your pics look good Steve, nice large pods, hope they burn the devil out of you ;)

yep theres a number of places selling these now and your review im going to get some love the taste of habs..thx for the info :)

Back