• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Habanero tree?

RJS

Banned
A Mexican I work with and give peppers was telling me today about their habaneros back home. After I described Bhut Jolokia, he swore they had about the same thing.
Said they were red, much hotter than the common orange varieties north of the Rio, and grew wild and nearly to tree size in rural Mexico.

Am I getting my leg pulled?
:?:

you might not be, but i'm sure they aren't bhut jolokia hot. we've all seen some pretty weird photos south of the border. anything's possible.

Habanero Arbol (Tree Habanero)? I'm no expert, just found that searching.

whatever it is I am sure there is somthing to be said about a plant that grows in the wild and lives in a climate that is hot and fairly dry....
get some pics and a few samples .

therrs plenty of tree likev chilis in the wild..look at Andres thread to see a tree chili..a friend in ireland has a 7 ft trinidad tree and its prolific Habanero/Congo type :)

It is lot unknown peppers species in the world they are not yet discover you never no he might tell you the truth ask him to give you some seeds then you will find out if he is wright or wrong.

RJS said:
A Mexican I work with and give peppers was telling me today about their habaneros back home. After I described Bhut Jolokia, he swore they had about the same thing.
Said they were red, much hotter than the common orange varieties north of the Rio, and grew wild and nearly to tree size in rural Mexico.

Am I getting my leg pulled?

:?:

Try and et some pictures like 915 says and then all can see and comment

Digging around, I've found a number of references to 'habanero trees', mostly under ten foot. He was very adamant though, medium size trees. I pointed to a bush, said that's what he meant, he pointed back to a 20 ft. tree. He goes back in Oct. when his work permit expires and claims he'll be back after the three months are up if we hold his job. I'll get him to bring back seeds and dried peppers.

I had a 10 foot tall Piquin plant back in LA....so a tree sized habanero might not be unlikely....doubt it, but not out of the question.

RJS said:
He goes back in Oct. when his work permit expires and claims he'll be back after the three months are up if we hold his job. I'll get him to bring back seeds and dried peppers.
WOW! That's great that he's doing things honest and by the books. Hats off to him.

Luigimex had a few hab trees last season but I think that has more to do with his growing skills and climate.

I wonder what pepper plants would grow to in a climate where it never freezes??
I always have to start over every year but I am sure some of you live where they can grow year round.

Habanero plants can get rather large in tropical climates where they have a perennial life cycle. 10 feet high is not unheard of. I've seen some 6 foot high overwintered specimens here.

chuk hell said:
Habanero plants can get rather large in tropical climates where they have a perennial life cycle. 10 feet high is not unheard of. I've seen some 6 foot high overwintered specimens here.

Yep even in cool Ireland they do as my friend as shown :)

Hello to all,
Excuse me, I read this topic long time ago but then I forgot to post.
Ok, this is one of the largest chinense plants that I have grown,
It has reached over 2.5 meters in height.

AntillaisCaribbean.jpg

that is one hell of a chinense plant....gigantic

Back