HAHAHA redsavina.com

Caribbean reds are usually hotter than red savinas IMO, but there are different versions of the CR being traded these days.

a basic difference in the TM and patent is a patent expires in 10 years and anyone can use the information after that, there is a clause in the TM that allows you to "re-apply" for the TM name after 10 years...whoever is the first to TM something has the first shot at renewing...

(learned this from my TM application)

Its a funny business

"A trademark is the individual "brand name" of a particular type of seed soldby a particular company, and acts as an indicator for the source of the seed. The fact is, any number of companies can each sell the same variety of seed under their owntrademarks, provided they comply with all other applicable laws. For example, AB Company may,if it wishes, sell the public domain, non-certified broccoli variety known as "Wok" under itswidely-recognized (and federally registered) GENIUS® trademark..."

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cach...t.pdf+pvp+trademark+plants&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2

I am having a huge problem believing Red Savina.com is substituting Caribbean Red seeds for Red Savina seeds. Just don't see how they can get away with it. I've sent them an email just to see if I can get a response.

I've grown both, supposedly, in the past year and the RC pods were much larger and had more creases/dimpling. The Red Savina was hotter too.

patrick said:
I am having a huge problem believing Red Savina.com is substituting Caribbean Red seeds for Red Savina seeds. Just don't see how they can get away with it. I've sent them an email just to see if I can get a response.

I've grown both, supposedly, in the past year and the RC pods were much larger and had more creases/dimpling. The Red Savina was hotter too.
Caribbean Reds don't look anything like Red Savina...
POTAWIE said:
I thought Red Savina.com was selling "regular" red habs?
+1

There are a bunch of different types of peppers out there that are in my opinion, incorrectly labeled as Caribbean Red's.

Heres a few.

These are similar, but mine NEVER get this long, so while these are smooth and shiny and feature a light green immature pod, they are clearly a different type. I cannot say they are or are not like a Caribbean Red in heat, flavor or aroma, all of which are a significant trait of a real Caribbean Red.

Carribean%20Red%20Habanero.jpg

These are long like the above type, but are more grooved, making them even farther from your typical Caribbean Red Habanero.

22762_image0_20090330_auto.jpg

Now, we all know that not every pod on the same plant looks the same, but these are the real deal as far as I know. This is what a real Caribbean Red is supposed to look like.

habanero_red.jpg
chilli_habanero.jpg

Notice the short, blunt, smooth and shiny pods that start off as a very light green color, transisition to a light orange color and finally to a light red and eventually a dark red color. The major different (in appearence) from a Red Savina or a normal Orange Hab, is that a Caribbean Red starts out as a light green color while the formers start out as a much darker green color. They are very easy to distinguish from each other simply because of this color difference.

Another difference is that my Orange habaneros alwayse hang down below the canopy, while my Caribbean Red pods are mostly horizontal (especially the immature pods) and sometimes erect.

Also, I have seen many "Red Habaneros" and most of them are only red on the outside, with the inside being mostly whiteish. Caribbean Reds are red all the way through, except the seeds of course.

Heres a cut open Caribbean Red (seeds removed).

Cut_Open.jpg

Heres a few on the plant.

9240.jpg
chili-1.JPG

So, heres a list of traits to look for.

1: Short and Blunt Pods
2: Smooth and Shiny exterior
3: Light green immature pods
4: Red all the way through
5: Very strong, fruity aroma that is very different than your typical orange habanero
6: Very strong fruity flavor again that is different from your run of the mill orange habanero
7: Very hot, at least double the heat of an orange habanero
8: Immature pods Erect or Semi Erect, that is to say they hang straight up or horizontal

Also, size doesnt matter, I have seen them as small as a wild chili "berry" and as large as a jumbo strawberry. I belive pod size depends on the light levels and nutrients. Also, I must note that my Orange Habanero's leaves are more elongated, while the Caribbean Reds have more ovate leaves and are slightly more wrinkled.

Edit: I dont have any Red Savinas growing here, but it would be nice to have something like I just did above for a Red Savina, I am interested to see what the differences are between the two.

I Belive this is what a Red Savina looks like.

263006358_0fa32d5aaa.jpg

That's what I'm trying to tell you... the "real real" is long, not short. shorter ones are a different red Chinense. Might be hot, might be tasty, but it's ain't no Caribbean Red.

Omri said:
That's what I'm trying to tell you... the "real real" is long, not short. shorter ones are a different red Chinense. Might be hot, might be tasty, but it's ain't no Caribbean Red.

Well the images of the short ones were obtained from various seed sites, which all called them "Caribbean Reds".

Do a google image search, or any search for that matter, and you will only find two references to the long ones being called a "Caribbean Red", while everything else shows the shorter ones. If the longer ones really are the "true" caribbean red, then why are most people growing the shorter ones, and calling them caribbean reds?

If fact, doing a flickr search brings up the shorter ones, and I cant find any long ones.

I think it's safe to say that Majority rules here :)

RichardK said:
Well the images of the short ones were obtained from various seed sites, which all called them "Caribbean Reds".

Do a google image search, or any search for that matter, and you will only find two references to the long ones being called a "Caribbean Red", while everything else shows the shorter ones. If the longer ones really are the "true" caribbean red, then why are most people growing the shorter ones, and calling them caribbean reds?

If fact, doing a flickr search brings up the shorter ones, and I cant find any long ones.

I think it's safe to say that Majority rules here :)
99.9% of the sites show Scotch Bonnets as standard Chinense shape. the fact is it's not. the absolute majority is wrong. It's not what people think that matters, as the internet didn't invent the Scotch Bonnet. same goes for the Caribbean Red. that is all.

Omri said:
99.9% of the sites show Scotch Bonnets as standard Chinense shape. the fact is it's not. the absolute majority is wrong. It's not what people think that matters, as the internet didn't invent the Scotch Bonnet. same goes for the Caribbean Red. that is all.

I'm not just talking about people growing them... I'm talking about places that sell seeds & live plants.

So, according to you the sites below which sell seeds & plants for the short ones and label them as Caribbean Red Habaneros, all got it wrong?

www.reimerseeds.com
www.chileseeds.co.uk
www.reidsgreenhouse.com
www.victoriananursery.co.uk
www.chocolatehabanero.com
www.stargazerperennialscatalog.com
www.seedrack.com
www.saemereien.ch
www.langkloof.com

While these sites (both of which get seeds from the same place, burpee) got it right?

www.fearthechilli.com
www.burpee.com

Just because people get Scotch Bonnets wrong, doesnt mean that a search for "Caribbean Red", "Naga Jolokia", or or is going to turn up an inaccurate result. No offense man, but that metaphor doesnt work and I am going to trust my instict on this one :)

Actually, the longer smooth ones look almost identical to the shorter ones, so either they are a custom burpee hybrid or they grew them under different conditions.

RichardK said:
I'm not talking about just people... I'm talking about places that sell seeds & live plants.

So, according to you the sites below which sell seeds & plants for the short ones and label them as Caribbean Red Habaneros, all got it wrong?

www.reimerseeds.com
www.chileseeds.co.uk
www.reidsgreenhouse.com
www.victoriananursery.co.uk
www.chocolatehabanero.com
www.stargazerperennialscatalog.com
www.seedrack.com
www.saemereien.ch
www.langkloof.com

While these sites (both of which get seeds from the same place, burpee) got it right?

www.fearthechilli.com
www.burpee.com

Just because people get Scotch Bonnets wrong, doesnt mean that a search for "Naga Jolokia" is going to turn up a inaccurate result. No offense man, but that metaphor doesnt work and I am going to trust my instict on this one :)

Actually, the longer smooth ones look almost identical to the shorter ones, so either they are a custom burpee hybrid or they grew them under different conditions.
1. I *was* talking about places that sell seeds and plants.
2. It's somewhat of a brandname so people use it. this leads to confusion that only leads to more confusion and so on... *just like* the Scotch Bonnet. if seed suppliers don't know a Scotch Bonnet (the most famous chile in the world) looks like, no wonder...
3. You can think whatever you want, it's a free world. You're still wrong, though.

Well, idk, but my packet of seeds from my nursery sold offhand as CR looked like this:

263006358_0fa32d5aaa.jpg

They wer labeled red habaneros..back said from the carribean.

I say who cares...pepper cross so much it doesnt' matter iof they are hot and tastey, eh? Red Savina, Red Habanero..it's the same genus, just different conditions and locale.

I just want different chiles to try, i could care less how. When i was 8, i reduced a marigold to a specific trait over the course of 3 yrs..I wanted an all Brown Marigold...no yellow.

Took 3 yrs of saving the right seeds, but i did it...then I found out Gurney had not onyl done it , they had them for sale... Thats the end of that. The dream weas gone.

None of my seeds are 'pure', and i coudl care less aslong a theyb are the right type.

I expect Fatalie to be one..other than that..fuk if i care. My store-bought Burkinas are the most evil thing i've ever eeaten..and that was random nature at work.

My Bih, Fatali, Dorset, and Choc.Hab, are all now rubbing leaves together....perhaps i'll get a mutant hellpepper like the Douglah... :)

QuadShotz said:
Well, idk, but my packet of seeds from my nursery sold offhand as CR looked like this:

263006358_0fa32d5aaa.jpg

They wer labeled red habaneros..back said from the carribean.

I say who cares...pepper cross so much it doesnt' matter iof they are hot and tastey, eh?

I just want different chiles to try, i could care less how.

That imagine I belive I got from a site claiming it was a Red Savina, I have never grown them so I really have no idea what they look like and from what I have heard, it's not easy to get them either.

Back