• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Harvest 10/17/08

I have 2 pots that each have 3 plants: Jalapeno, tabasco, & red hot chile, 2 of each plant total. I harvested all the peppers from one pot that were ready to come off & all the ripe peppers from my pequin as well(i already have like close to 200 in the freezer, this thing just puts out flush after flush of little fireballs)

Results:
20 jalapenos
16 red hot chiles
170 tabasco
54 pequins

2954567767_f8cf040871.jpg

Tabasco
2954567769_661aacf20b.jpg

Red hot chiles
2954567785_9d0b7b4cb9.jpg

Jalapenos

Threw everything into the dehydrator and used a little food processor to get stuff started and finished everything off old school with a mortar and pestle. Haven't ground the pequins yet.

Powders from left to right: Red hot chile, tabasco, & jalapeno
2955432172_e069b56e7c_o.jpg

Of those 3 peppers, my favorite is definitely the Red Hot Chile. It has a nice heat but it is also sweeter than the sweetest bell pepper. Drying seems to have concentrated the sweetness too. I'm not sure what the proper name is, I bought it as a seedling (bonnie plants) and the tag says Chile picante 'Chili Red'. It's delicious.

Txclosetgrower said:
Of those 3 peppers, my favorite is definitely the Red Hot Chile. It has a nice heat but it is also sweeter than the sweetest bell pepper. Drying seems to have concentrated the sweetness too. I'm not sure what the proper name is, I bought it as a seedling (bonnie plants) and the tag says Chile picante 'Chili Red'. It's delicious.

Those Red Hot Chile pods look identical to the ones I grew this year. They were apparently mislabeled seed stock I got. Very heavy producers...........very good flavor/heat.

BTW, I took some whole dried "Red Hot Chile" pods after I dried them in the dehydraotr and roasted them on the gas grill. What a flavor change, give it a try...........a new layer of flavor.

Nice harvest.
My peppers are kill last nite from frost, so outside I'm done for this year but have dozen plants in basement doing very well.

great harvest...I love it when I open a bag of fresh dehydrated peppers...the aroma is tantilizing (and deadly if you stick your nose in and snort it) and delicious...

***headed out to the storage shed to get a snort of dehydrating Dorsets***

Damn nice chilis there my friend and i have to join A.J in loving the aroma from those finished backs of dehydrated peppers it certainly gets the taste buds going :clap:

Back