• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

harvesting Harvest Time

Here are a few pictures of the majority of what I was able to pick today. I'm looking forward to seeing what they all taste like. Looks like some hot sauce and some salsa is in the cards. Thanks.

P1010856.jpg

Not quite ready:

P1010848.jpg

P1010849.jpg

Here's what I got today:

Left to Right, Top to Bottom (from the Quarter) - Habanero Orange, Venezuelan Sweet Hab, Fresno, Assorted Reds, Aji Limon, Assorted Cayennes, Naga, Inca Drop, Mystery, Paper Lanterns? (had an earlier post trying to identify), Assorted Thais, Pusa Jwala Orange, Jalapenos, More Assorted Reds, Sibirischer Paprika, Criolla Sells, Charapita, Biquinho, and another long Red.

P1010883.jpg

Will probably dehyrdate most of them. This is what I dehyrdated yesterday. Also made 3 pints of Habanero/Pineapple, 3 pints of Habanero/Peach/Mango hot sauce and 1 1/2 pints of Hot Pepper Jelly. Plus 4 pints of pickled Pepperoncini and assorted red/anaheim/sweet peppers. House smelled pretty spicy yesterday.

P1010890.jpg

Lucky that I've been on vacation this week.

Here is the Hot Pepper Jelly:

P1010897.jpg

Jelly on a paper plate:

P1010900.jpg

Habanero Pineapple Hot Sauce:

P1010906.jpg

Habanero Pineapple Hot Sauce Opened:

P1010909.jpg

They both turned out pretty well - it was the 1st time that I ever tried making jelly. Used a combination of green and red peppers to give it some contrasting colors.

Very nice Buddy!
That jelly and sauce look delicious!!! I'm going to have to make me some jelly this year.

btw, is this the cake baking Buddy? :)
cakeboss0.jpg

Hey im really liking a few of these varieties. would you be able to spare a few Pusa Jwala seeds? thats the long orange looking one yea? how was flavor and heat? out of the varieties u have shown which stood out to you as far as flavor and heat? awesome pics too!

great work, both gardening and photographically!!!!! Really nice harvest and pics.

do you happen to have a recipe for the hab pineapple hot sauce? I'd like to take a shot at that.

great work, both gardening and photographically!!!!! Really nice harvest and pics.

do you happen to have a recipe for the hab pineapple hot sauce? I'd like to take a shot at that.

Texas Blues has a great recipe over in Hot Sauce Making or Red Hot Recipes. I used it exactly other than adding 4 nagas. I thought it was awesome.

A few pictures from last week (8-21-10):

Hot Peppers:
P1010924.jpg

Sweet/Mild Ones:
P1010912.jpg

Together:
P1010919.jpg

This week I picked my 1st 7 Pots - most of the others are just starting to blush:

P1010930.jpg

P1010929.jpg

P1010933.jpg

P1010939.jpg

Also was busy in the kitchen this weekend - made 2 liters of chile vodka (1 using Pusa Jwala Orange, 1 Using Thais), 4 pints of home made Siracha(used 5 cups of Thai peppers), 4 pints of Mango/Peach hot sauce, 4 pints of Pineapple hot sauce, and 4 pints of Papaya/Mango hot sauce - all made with a combination of 7 pots, Habanero Orange, Habanero Caribbean, Scotch Bonnet Red, Naga, and Red Paper Lanterns. Some came out a bit hotter than expected - oh well, I guess that I'll keep them for my own use. Also smoked (wet heat and mesquite wood) to fill 5 rack dehyrdrator twice.

Nice harvests. Have you tasted anything you smoked yet? I've smoked dried a few harvests this year and ground into powder...very tasty. Temp control was a bit of a hassle but i think i'm getting the hang of it. I used apple, will have to try mesquite next weekend.

Nice harvests. Have you tasted anything you smoked yet? I've smoked dried a few harvests this year and ground into powder...very tasty. Temp control was a bit of a hassle but i think i'm getting the hang of it. I used apple, will have to try mesquite next weekend.

I'm actually on my 2nd weekend of smoking - I liked the 1st time - which was also the 1st time that I've ever smoked peppers so much that I fired up a much bigger batch this weekend. After dehyrdating, I ground them with a mortar and pestle into flakes - very good. I used Thai's the 1st time (I'm partial to Thai peppers). Used an assortment this week (Inca Drop, Hinkle Hatz, Thais, etc.) and mixed them all together - smelled wonderful.

Apple sounds good - maybe next week - also may try cherry.

What kind of smoker are you using? I have an electric and find it's hard to get enough smoke at temps under 200. i've been running it at 275 for an hour before i put the peppers in and then i dial it back to 175...seems to help the wood smoke easier over the next 6 - 8 hours.

Back