• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Have I still got time to grow a batch?

Hello all,

I'd like to try to grow a small batch of something or other but at this late time of the year I'm not sure I've still got time to do it?

If I've not left it too late I was thinking of getting some seeds (Bhut possibly) and just for the fun of it, seeing what I could come up with. I've grown stuff before but never anything fiery!

I'm in Dallas so we still have plenty of hot weeks left!

So my two big questions are....have I still got time and who is reputable when it comes to purchasing seeds?

Thanks!

Even if you didnt get much from them this year you could over winter them.
Then you would have an early start on next year.
Check out the marketplace on the forum for some seeds.
thehippyseedco,pepperjoe,peppergal all .coms plenty of others out there too.

^^^ +1

It honestly depends on what you're trying to grow, if you are going to try to grow some of the longer seasons c. chinense, you may get a pod or 2 depending on how long it stays warm down there. Sorry I'm not very familiar with the seasons in Dallas.

See if someone will sell you a plant - that's your best bet. Maybe some garden centers have a seedling or two left. Next year, plant Chinense seeds in January and the other types in February or early March for best results.

See if someone will sell you a plant - that's your best bet. Maybe some garden centers have a seedling or two left. Next year, plant Chinense seeds in January and the other types in February or early March for best results.

I agree with bigt's response. There is a garden centre in my neighbourhood which has pepper plants that are a good size now. The plants get bigger (some with pods on them) and the prices start to drop as they worry that they'll wind up stuck with a bunch of plants to destroy at the end of the season. I have a relationship with them and they let me pick a handful of scorpions and caribbean reds off the plants last September.

Check around a few garden centre/nursery/greenhouses in your city.

Back