Heat; it's the bloody heat that is...

...totally shutting down my Capsicum's (chinense) growth. We're approaching 70 days of 37 - 41c and my plants hate it. Today hit 39c and shade cloth and limited daily exposure to the sun doesn't help. It's the air temperature and even with humidity well above 30% my plants hate it. They're healthy midgets. All of my research says anything above 32c is detrimental to the growth of Capsicum chinense: so, here in LOS I have to deal with seasons; hot, hotter, and hottest! :crazy:
Okay; rant's over...anybody else dealing with this? :hell:

its 36 to 38 almost everyday in Trinidad for the last couple months.......... i left the buggers out in the blazing sun after they were moved from below the shade cloth...... they aren't complaining....... they better had than toughen the f*ck up!

I wonder if keeping them in the shade all day would help, at least until the air temperature drops.

We've been running a range that varies from 0c (last night) to +20C for the last few days. At least your weather is consistent. Ours is all over the place. Hot cold, hot cold, hot cold. It just can't make up it's mind.

.................arghhhhhh!

Cold; it's the bloody cold that is...

...totally shutting down my Capsicum's (chinense) growth. We're approaching 70 days of -10c to 10c and my plants hate it. Today hit 10c and reflective sun cloth and limited daily exposure to the sun doesn't help. It's the air temperature and even with humidity well above 80% my plants hate it. They're healthy midgets. All of my research says anything below 5c is detrimental to the growth of Capsicum chinense: so, here in Canada I have to deal with seasons; cold, colder, and frozen!

Okay; rant's over...anybody else dealing with this?

same situation but in reverse.

Burning Colon said:

...anybody else dealing with this?

Same here in the Pacific North West. Nearly a week straight of highs in the upper 40°-lower 50° f range, lows in the lower 40°f range. I put a cover over the pepper plants just to keep them from getting to much rain, but there has been no new growth. Also with all the rain, I am unable to finish off the last little bit of digging for the new raised bed, soil is too wet to pass over the screen without it turning into mud. I will probably try to overwinter a couple C. Chinense like Bhut and habs, probably won't get much from them this year if it keeps going like this.........

Heat; it's the perfect amount of heat that is...
...would be totally exploding my Capsicum's (chinense) growth. We're approaching 10 days of 25 - 29c and my plants would love it. Today hit 28c and my plants are inside. Why you ask? Because my yards having work done on it that won't be ready for two more weeks. The roots are growing out the peat pots and I can't do anything ..............

Okay; rant's over...anybody else dealing with this? :hell:

trinicoolieboy said:
its 36 to 38 almost everyday in Trinidad for the last couple months.......... i left the buggers out in the blazing sun after they were moved from below the shade cloth...... they aren't complaining....... they better had than toughen the f*ck up!

I've got 4 Costa Rica Red Habaneros (seeds from Costa Rica) and they're handling the heat better than My Orange Habaneros. That's not saying much however.

Burning Colon said:

...totally shutting down my Capsicum's (chinense) growth. We're approaching 70 days of -10c to 10c and my plants hate it. Today hit 10c and reflective sun cloth and limited daily exposure to the sun doesn't help. It's the air temperature and even with humidity well above 80% my plants hate it. They're healthy midgets. All of my research says anything below 5c is detrimental to the growth of Capsicum chinense: so, here in Canada I have to deal with seasons; cold, colder, and frozen!

Okay; rant's over...anybody else dealing with this?

Now that's a hoot; hadn't thought of that.

millworkman said:
You only have 3 seasons? Ha ha. Sorry to hear about the heat.

Actually, yes! Hot in the winter, hotter in the rainy season (coming any moment), and hottest in the summer (we're on the tail end of summer now).

Now, call me crazy, but when temps here hit the low/mid 90s (33/34C), *that's* when my annums (and this year, my habs) begin to really flourish (with the exception of my bell-types, which are worthless here - gets too hot too fast in the Spring and the freezes come to fast in the Winter). With night temps in the 60s, my choc hab had two pods. This week it has put on what must be two dozen and counting. My Purple Jalapeños are thick with new fruit.

What am I missing? Or what are you? ;)

I suck at this, but we're in a sweet spot here right now. I'll be 100F in two weeks, I'll bet, so I'm enjoying my fresh green tomatoes before they fry ON the vine. :)

Eephus Man said:
Now, call me crazy, but when temps here hit the low/mid 90s (33/34C), *that's* when my annums (and this year, my habs) begin to really flourish (with the exception of my bell-types, which are worthless here - gets too hot too fast in the Spring and the freezes come to fast in the Winter). With night temps in the 60s, my choc hab had two pods. This week it has put on what must be two dozen and counting. My Purple Jalapeños are thick with new fruit.

What am I missing? Or what are you? ;)

I suck at this, but we're in a sweet spot here right now. I'll be 100F in two weeks, I'll bet, so I'm enjoying my fresh green tomatoes before they fry ON the vine. :)

Well, let's see; 60% potting soil (ph 5.5-6), 20% worm compost, 20% milled cow manure, and milled egg shells (1 tbsp.) plus magnesium and all the other micro-nutes. Oh, and by volume add, roughly, another 20% chopped, washed coir. If I am missing something I'd sure like to know about it.
Also, in another thread, I discussed a visit to a chili farm not too far from our house. The woman (shes the farmer) said her crop (annums & frutescens) was not nearly as good as last years because of the heat. 99f to 105f most of the last 2-1/2 months. After heat like that, when it drops to 95f (35c) I feel relieved. Unfortunately, my plants do not. They are as I said, healthy but growth is very slow. Cheers.

AjarnV said:
Well, let's see; 60% potting soil (ph 5.5-6), 20% worm compost, 20% milled cow manure, and milled egg shells (1 tbsp.) plus magnesium and all the other micro-nutes. Oh, and by volume add, roughly, another 20% chopped, washed coir. If I am missing something I'd sure like to know about it.
Also, in another thread, I discussed a visit to a chili farm not too far from our house. The woman (shes the farmer) said her crop (annums & frutescens) was not nearly as good as last years because of the heat. 99f to 105f most of the last 2-1/2 months. After heat like that, when it drops to 95f (35c) I feel relieved. Unfortunately, my plants do not. They are as I said, healthy but growth is very slow. Cheers.

It was more rhetorical than anything, and in reference to your references, no you AV. Sorry if I rubbed the wrong way. And yeah, at 99-105, mine aren't doing anything except begging for water every day. I was just surprised to hear that anything over 32C was problematic. My experience has been that the 'sweet spot' has been from 31-35c. Of course, that may have everything to do with night time temps here when daytime temps are at that level.

As mentioned, my habs were dropping blooms like mad then because nights were in the 60s.

Finicky, I tell you. But not *nearly* as bad as tomatoes.

Hope you and your peps get some relief soon.

^ No, no, sorry if you thought I was annoyed; not at all. Seriously, I'm always open to new ideas and am very jealous of all the awesome pics I see here of all the success stories. My total harvest has been 4 Costa Rica Reds (they were delicious): since the onset of summer that baby has shut down; no flowers, no pods, no nothing, except a few new leaves every few days.
Relief coming soon I hope and good luck to you. Cheers.

Were're going to be in the 30's all this week:) and as long as I can keep up with watering then my plants are going to absolutely love it. I agree over 35 degrees is when it starts to get too hot but there are many other factors to consider too and around here it only gets above 35 in my greenhouse

30's all week. Lucky you. We're looking at 17-21 and showers. I guess it's alright though, the fire hazard has been pretty high here for quite some time.

Yesterday........ snow and rain mix, one of my eaves trough clogged with leaves and pine needles so I had to pull the ladder out and climb 20ft in the freezing mix to unclog it as water was overflowing from the edges, my hand was frozen numb(dah, didn't think of putting my gardening gloves on). once unclogged, I left the ladder and came straight into the house and lucky the furnace was blowing full tilt as I stuck my hands directly infront of the register to thaw, by 6:30pm my fingers had enough movement to light up the BBQ and grilll a steak......... the brandy with hot water mix warmed my insides.

.............where's all my plants while all this was going on.......... why in a nice warm (70F) house.

Took this while watching my steak....

HPIM1791.jpg

Back