Hello from Denmark, Europe

:welcome: from CA

funny - Iived in Holland for 2 years & the only spicy thing I could find was sambal olec - a nice chili sauce - the Dutch were extremely heat averse. I was under the impression that the Danes were too yet here in one topic we've got representatives of both!
:D

You mean Sambal Oelek, it's okay but nothing special. Don't know when you lived here but things change. More and more dutch are eating spicy food packed with heat, although it's still hard too find Habanero peppers and such. We do have Jalapeno's, Aji Umba Yellow/Red, Madame Jeanette and of course the red cayenne. That was one of the reasons why I'm growing my own now :) I want more diversity.

You mean Sambal Oelek, it's okay but nothing special. Don't know when you lived here but things change. More and more dutch are eating spicy food packed with heat, although it's still hard too find Habanero peppers and such. We do have Jalapeno's, Aji Umba Yellow/Red, Madame Jeanette and of course the red cayenne. That was one of the reasons why I'm growing my own now :) I want more diversity.

Good to hear! I cooked several dishes with jalapeño and my boss just thought it was way too hot :rofl:

This was about 1991-1993.

Agreed about the Sambal Oelek and sorry for my spelling - I learned to speak quite a bit of Dutch but writing it is very hard for me! Ik ben een grote stomwife. Hahaha I think for a jarred Chinese-style chili paste it's quite good actually but certainly not "special". It is what it is kinda thing. Coming from San Francisco I was sorely disappointed with the Dutch Indonesian cooking - to me Chinese food has many offerings with heat. Heck, even Mandarin has cayenne peppers in it! D.I. was just sooo bland.

Now, patat frit met pinda sauce? YUM!!! I loooooved the French fries with peanut sauce & mayo. So tasty. I actually miss frekendella too as funny as that seems...lol

I lived just south of Amsterdam - couple places. 1st year I lived in Gemete Alsmeer, in Nieuwveen, then the 2nd year I lived in Zavenhoven. (sp?)

I worked in roses at T.C. Van Kleef and Saintpaulia production at Humako. I also worked on some private dykes growing perennials. Had a g/f in Delft for a while & also spent a bit of time with friends in Rotterdam & Utrecht. Got a few tattoos at Ronald Van Bonkerk's shop in Zandaam. Spent most weekends in Amsterdam though busking & hanging out in coffeeshops. :D

Fun place to live!
:cheers:

What part are you in?

Thanks a lot everybody! Looking forward to look around!

I think chili is beginning to grow on people, but still, most people think jalapenos are very very hot.

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest USA!
You will find a lot of surfing here!

Back