Hello from Oklahoma

Hey guys.

My name is Mike, and I'm an authentic Okie from Muskogee. Found this forum by googling "pepper forum" in old google, because I'm going to take a crack at growing peppers this year. I've always loved 'em and cooked with 'em, but I'd like to be able have 'em fresh whenever I wanted.

I imagine I'll be peppering (pun definitely intended!) y'all with quite a few questions that have been covered in numerous threads here time and time again. But from what I've seen from lurking for more than a week, that won't be a problem, because this seems like a real friendly place.

About me: I'm 35, the oldest of five children by the same parents (three sisters and one brother). I'll be married two years this April, the first wedding for both of us. My wife likes spicy stuff as well, but not super hot stuff, so I won't be doing any habs or 7pots this season. I'm the news editor at the newspaper here. I love to cook, fish, gamble and play World of Warcraft.

My main interests for peppers this season will be ones that can be frozen to use throughout the year, ones that make good powders, ones that make good sauces, and ones good for salsa. I'd also love to grow the type of peppers used in chile verde sauce I love so much, but that one might not make the cut, as I'm limiting myself to five varieties. I will be container gardening. If all goes well, I'll plan for an honest-to-goodness garden next season.

So hello from an Okie, and I look forward to being a lifelong member of this place. And if you have any questions of me, ask away!

Hello and welcome from Ohio.

You will find that any pepper can be frozen and used throughout the year. However, you will also find that all peppers tend to become soft (they loose their crunchiness) when thawed, thus become perfect for cooking with.

Hi Mike and Welcome from Virginia.

Mike,

Welcome from Southfield Michigan.

May You Soul Rest In Peppers

HERE

4150732978_2acf096431_o.jpg

NJA

Hello from Eastern PA. I haven't frozen pappers, rather I dehydrate them and either store them in a air-tight zip loc baggie or grind them into powder.
Bill

BillC said:
Hello from Eastern PA. I haven't frozen pappers, rather I dehydrate them and either store them in a air-tight zip loc baggie or grind them into powder.
Bill

I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of you with a magic bullet. I have one (and LOVE it) and will use it to grind powder, if you recommend it. If you do, which blade do you use, the flat one or the other one?

Greetings and Salutations from PA!!

BTW, I can tell your an editor as your post is laid out pretty nice and it's informative. I to am a gamer but not with the evil life killer WoW :P to get into that game I need plenty of :high: to get past all the repetitive dailys and such..

Welcome!

Back