• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HELP, 4 weeks old sprout getting sick? (photo attached)

Help, Some of my sprout getting weird color on their leafs....what happen and how to help them?

It happened right after I feed them Epsom salt, I mixed 1 teaspoon in 1 litre of water (on the bag it says 2 teaspoons in 1 litre)

Before that I feed them fish 7 days ago. (half strength)

photo25_zpsaae389bc.jpg

photo13_zps6c2f2668.jpg

Day temp. around 23C
Night temp around 28C (I put them under my 600W 6400k grow light)

dark time around 3~4hours/day

this is the 4th day after they got [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Epsom salt, seems like they are getting worst, what should I do..[/background]

I'm no expert, so I expect to be corrected soon.

Sprouts that small don't need anything extra, and I'd be especially leery about adding anything with "salt" in the name. They'll probably be fine if you let them carry on, but if they start looking like they're in bad shape I'd flush the soil with water and drain it.

Too much love, when their that small i just water and let it get some more growth. Don't need to use ferts when their that young.

+1 on what Wulf said.

I'm no expert, so I expect to be corrected soon.

Sprouts that small don't need anything extra, and I'd be especially leery about adding anything with "salt" in the name. They'll probably be fine if you let them carry on, but if they start looking like they're in bad shape I'd flush the soil with water and drain it.

1+
I have killed my sprouts before by feeding them, now I have learnt to wait till they have at least a set of true leaves and another set starting out before I feed them with 1/4 stremgth

Too wet. If they are as wet as they look then the temps you have them at are too high and most likely the roots are rotting. Hold off watering till they are wilting to let the soil dry out a good bit before doing it again and I bet they will look miles better. Also, get some air movement in there. A small fan running a couple hours a day does wonders as well.

Thank you very much gentlemen

So it is not a diseases? Because I am planning to buy some H2O2

lol...you sound like me about 7 months ago....

What's the thinking behind buying / using some H202?
I used H202 to get rid of fungus gnats, but that was when the seedlings were 3 or 4 months old.

For a while, just give them plain ol' water i reckon....and 'sparingly' ;)

Best of luck

Leaving them under a light for 14 to 16 hours a day helps too.... slight yellowing on first pic makes me think they are light starved..

...slight yellowing on first pic makes me think they are light starved..
Hmmm, the original post says they are under lights for around 20 hours a day, so I don't think it's light (from my limited experience anyway)

qazwersfdxcv

Look at your keyboard and how those letters are laid out. Assuming a qwerty keyboard.

so,
you are concerned about the purple we see in the photo?

relax and do not sweat the purpling.

like another poster noted they look a little wet

purple color is from adequate/ good lighting

i think they look pretty good and will likely supply you with some yummy peppers

please make sure the soil is well drained

it needs to drain to pull oxygen down to the roots also

Yes nitwit!!
The purple color on the leaf is my question, so you mean it is a good sign? (remind me, my grow light received 7 days ago)

I did made holes at the bottom of each container, but I never give THAT much water to the babies, so the water never come out from the bottom
I'm now only give them water from the bottom, let them suck the water up, because im now very afraid of overwatering them...

The purpling is a sign of sunburn. In older plants you may see purple/red veins running from the leaves down to the main stem. So either the lights are too intense or they are too close or are on too long.

In nature the sun doesn't shine 20 hrs a day and if your grow light is setup to be like the sun then its too much. Unless of course its a purple/black chilli variety which are those colours because they are more sensitive to light and they are meant to look like that.

It's not a big problem though, I'd just dial back the light to 18 hrs a day.

Like everyone else said - don't feed them anything at this age, and when they have two sets of leaves and if you really want to feed them then, use only half strength.

The turned up leaves may be a sign of overwatering, or of the water in the soil not draining away. Make sure the water can drain well.

Below are some of my goods and bads:

1.) This is the yellowest one
photo32_zps4d11950f.jpg

2.)This is this leafs getting purple (Not enough VIP rooms, so some of them need share a room, a bit crowd)

photo27_zps56c39deb.jpg

3.) This is the best one

photo42_zpsad7132aa.jpg

The purpling is a sign of sunburn. In older plants you may see purple/red veins running from the leaves down to the main stem. So either the lights are too intense or they are too close or are on too long.

In nature the sun doesn't shine 20 hrs a day and if your grow light is setup to be like the sun then its too much. Unless of course its a purple/black chilli variety which are those colours because they are more sensitive to light and they are meant to look like that.

It's not a big problem though, I'd just dial back the light to 18 hrs a day.

Like everyone else said - don't feed them anything at this age, and when they have two sets of leaves and if you really want to feed them then, use only half strength.

The turned up leaves may be a sign of overwatering, or of the water in the soil not draining away. Make sure the water can drain well.

I see.... sun burn.....um, I know what to do now
Thank you for helping :)

After some amount of researching time, I think I have found the answer to this problem, and it is quite interesting, so I share the article here.

This is what I have used, there are Mg and S in the salt, and ZERO Potassium!
photo_zps060c3a3f.jpg

Now after reading this:
leaf_zps2c3707c8.jpg

So, I think this is the reason, if the ratio of K/Mg in the soil is not balanced, the leaf of become purple. This product stated that it can help in leaf yellowing and it contain only Mg and S, which mean this product will disturb the K/Mg ratio in the soil and caused purpling leafs, gentleman, should we call FBI now?

Another interesting info, I think this explain the turm "sunburn" on chilli leafs: too much light->growth rate too fast-> supplement from root "jammed"

leaf_zps70fa74f1.jpg

All in all, too much love.....
I should control their exposure time under the light, no more salt and fart atm, less water

Ok first, hypercium is st johns wort and I don't think its related to chillis so they probably need different nutrients.

Second, when a seed sprouts it carries all the food its going to need for a while in its cotyledons, those first leaves. Once it uses them up then it starts to extract it from the soil and whatever is on its leaves.

A seedling at that age doesn't need anything. It is rare for a seedling that young to be showing a deficiency. The yellowing could possibly be sign of a toxicity, meaning too much of something that is messing with it. It is also possible that it is a randomly genetically weak seedling, like the runt of a liter.

Overwatering or excess of fertiliser salts can cause pH lockout. Basically the pH goes too high or low and even though the roots are swimming in fertiliser the plant can't use any of it and shows signs of a deficiency.

The purpling is definitely too much light, not a nutrient thing.

edit: most of us have done this in the beginning. Fretting too much and end up killing them with too much attention.

another edit: You should remember that many potting mixes come with nutrients premixed. So anything you add will be on top of that.

Back