• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help me Identify and thoughts.

Hi fellas great stuff here I'm glad I found this forum. You will see me around a lot more often! Ive just started growing back in June I know that's bad, from what I hear hehe. I live on a 4th flr window facing north, and have a lil ledge I place pots on. My space is limited. I do have a fairly big window ledge, I prefer my plants outside. I bought one at grocery store in a really bad state, the one with all the peppers in pics. The others Ive grown from seed. I really like it!. Please tell me what you think. The one i brought back was infected with aphids and I manually picked them off pain in the you know what, but I fought them off. Now the plant is bursting. I'm hoping I can get these to grow for me all winter long maybe not but ill try a light or two and see what happens. Let me know your thoughts thanks!

DSC_6950.jpg

this is one I bought at store and brought back.

DSC_6953.jpg

still same

DSC_6956.jpg

I grew this from seed, serrano.

DSC_6963.jpg

I think this is a Jalapeno plant I cant recall I could use your help on it. Seems odd looking to me.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/vatoman78/DSC_6967.jpg
Same as above just a few more pics of it. I know thats alot for such a small pot but ill clip the runt when I can tell which ones it is.

excellent after reading and seeing pics I was starting to think that too. Funny it had a serrano label on it, I really cant recall now lol. I like them though alot.

If you bought it you can't go by labels as some seem to play label tag..they get moved to wrong plant, fall out and put back in a different pot, kids move them..any number of ways they get in wrong place. Basically you have to grow them out and see what you have. But nice looking plants which is good. Enjoy!

Jackie

Welcome the Hot Pepper From Australia, and i'm sure you will get a wealth of information from all the people here.

Very nice plants mate. Love the one hanging over the end of the pot

pepperfever said:
If you bought it you can't go by labels as some seem to play label tag..they get moved to wrong plant, fall out and put back in a different pot, kids move them..any number of ways they get in wrong place. Basically you have to grow them out and see what you have. But nice looking plants which is good. Enjoy!

Jackie

I can kinda relate..somehow I have scotch bonnettes but dont remember asking for any seeds for them(or did I)last fall its a mystery to me but I have them lol

Welcome Vatoman. You said that you think your jalapenos look funny. They look like they are growing tall and not out I think this is referred to as "leggy". You may want to repot them in their own pots so the roots have more room to spread out.

I agree with JayT..

You should really only have one plant in that size pot, not 4...

And 'Leggy' is the right term.

I would stake them somehow as well because if they start to fruit the plant might snap as they look a little long and weak. (not unhealthy, but not pychically strong enough to hold alot of fruit at this stage)

i'm curious, the one you say is a serrano and started from seed....the pod looks blunt like a jalapeno. is the stem fuzzy? the lasat pic looks more like it is fuzzy to me. every serrano i've ever grown had fuzzy stems. could it be the ole tag-switcheroo??? the first surely seems to be cayenne...just m,y slant---bob

First pic is a cayenne, a very nice chile with many uses.

The machismo types eschew them because they aren't the latest, most picante chile, but most people find many uses for them. They are easy to grow and prolific.

Yeah, I love the jalas/serannos for a lot of things. Great for replacing green bell peppers in recipes and on pizza, and not to mention salsa verde...mmmm.

QuadShotz said:
Yeah, I love the jalas/serannos for a lot of things. Great for replacing green bell peppers in recipes and on pizza, and not to mention salsa verde...mmmm.

I'm a Mexican guy and love a lot of my food hot, grew up on the stuff. However I really do love Jala/serrano. I use them very often for many things including a lil snack by its self. They are just well rounded and friendly to most pallets. Great at keeping tolerances in check on both sides.

My favorite is watching people eat some Jalas with nachos and sweating from it, I just find that hilarious. :P

Back