Help with mystery seeds...

Anyway - back to the topic at hand, all you thread derailers!!!

I thinned a few sprouts, and kept only the two strongeset ones. They're raising up fast now...

DSCI1313.jpg

: )

The Hollyberry Lady said:

Thanks Boutros, for the confirmation. Now what exactly indicates to you that mine might be the purple variety? Is it the reddish sprouts, or something about the seeds themselves? Curious...

Yeah, I'm guessin the color due to the sprout color. And the husk/seed burr thing. Who knows though.

FYI if they get big big- the seeds will actually eject and launch out of the husk at times if allowed to fully ripen.

Wow - I hope it is the purple leaved variety, because that's the one I wanted! I've never seen such pretty sprouts.

I am going to keep full control of this plant - in a pot. Just think it's so attractive. People around here have them all over their front lawns, but by the sounds of what you guys have said so far, they're gonna be real sorry!

: O

If they don't turn out bronze/red what have you, you can pm me your address for seeds if you want. Have a few here.

Wow - that's so nice! Thank you.

I intend on showing pics as it grows, so we'll see together what color it turns out to be. I am looking forward to watching it grow indoors this winter...

I'm interested to see how this plant goes based on the whole convo!!! Your growing lethal weapon in your house!!! criminal!!!

Gonna grow it under my metal halide, in a secluded area, far away from Henry...

DSCI1229.jpg

No kids to worry about either, so things should be ok.

Did you know that Poinsetta is poisonous too, yet we bring it into our homes each year - around our pets and kids?!!! So I am not going to get all worked up about it being poisonous - so are many plants.

Here, they are all over people's lawns, around more pets and children, so they must not cause too much of problem.

I will be responsible though - unlike the person who sent me the seeds!

: o

I've been thinking about buying such a system for quite awhile now:cool::)your electricity bills must be a pain in the ass though..aren't they???:shocked:

That's all???...now i have to buy such a system!!!are you telling me that you grew that
Amazon forest you've got there with such an inexpensive system/electricity costs??:oops::shocked:

No, most of my plants are grown in my huge east and south windows, but my lamp supports many veggies and fruit plants, and keeps them producing, even over Winter.

The system itself though, was quite costly.

1. the electricity here costs more
2. CP, I'm practically your neighbor and growing with every possible form of artificial light...

Also "The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) gives a possible minimum figure of 500 micrograms (about half a grain of sand) for the lethal dose of ricin in humans if exposure is from injection or inhalation" Wiki

Don't worry about Castor bean plants being invasive in Canada. The only thing you have to worry about is trying to get the stalk out of the ground when it dies. I've seen pics of people ripping the bumber off their truck trying to pull one out
I usually grow a few, here's a fairly small green leafed variety from a few years ago. This years' was a monster but no pics

july26008jl9.jpg

Wow - that thing is awesome! Thanks for sharing, POTAWIE.

Here are my castor bean seedlings this morning - nearly raised up...

DSCI1317.jpg

They remind me of pink flamingos with their heads buried in the dirt!!!

You really don't want to be starting those indoors now unless you geta lot more light;) they are some of the fastest growing plants known

Back