• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hendrix1326's Glog for 2012, yay!

Okay, so I have been incognito here on the forums for the last couple of months. Been distracted by video games, working on house projects, etc. Anyway, I decided last week that once I laid the vinyl flooring in my laundry room that I would start germinating my seeds! I have settled on 20 varieties for this year, with (as many as) 50 plants, some of which I will keep at my mother's house, since she has a big garden space that won't all be used this year. I have the following varieties planted in Jiffy pellets in a "Germination Station" heating mat. I represented the "Big 5" species (Chinense, Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Frutescens) with at least one variety, and also have a couple wilds (C.Lanceolatum, and one called "Tio") to round it out. Here is the list, with how many of each one I am growing in bold parentheses at the end:

Chinense:
01-Yellow Bullet Habanero (similar to Peruvian White, but with a distinct canary yellow color) (2)
02-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2)
03-Red Biquinho Iracena (3)
04-CGN-21500 (2)
05-Red Aribibi Gusano (F1) (2)
06-White Bhut Jolokia (3)
07-Red 7-Pot (2)
08-Turtle's Claw (Aribibi Gusano) (2)
09-Zavory (3)

Annuum:
10-Red Pimiento (3)
11-Monkey Face (3)
12-Chicken Heart (2)
13-Purple UFO (2)
14-Hungarian Wax Cross (Unknown F1) (1, only got one seed!)

Baccatum:
15-Hot Lemon Drop (Aji Lemon) (3)
16-Bishop's Crown (3)

Pubescens:
17-Red Rocoto (3)

Frutescens:
18-CGN-22184 (3)

Lanceolatum:
19-Lanceolatum (Unknown Designation) (3)

Unknown Species:
20-Tio (3)

Here are the initial pictures of my embryonic grow rig, which will be overhauled by the time the seeds sprout:

http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0242.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0243.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0244.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0245.jpg

By the time the seeds are seedlings, I plan on having all of the rest of my supplies, which includes nursery pots, convertible heat lamps, thermostat, heater, oscillating fans, pulleys, reflective materials, the whole shebangabang.

I also wanted to thank the following THP members for either trading, SASBE-ing, or giving me seeds which are among the ones I am growing this year:

cmpman1974 (Biquinho, Purple UFO)
2gods (Aribibi Red, CGN21500)
paulmtonkin (Red 7, Monkey Face, Turtle's Claw)
Pulpiteer (Hot Lemon Drop)
ZanderSpice (Rocoto, CGN22184)
DudeThtsBad (Tio)
aropupu (Lanceolatum)
S.S. Tupperware (Bishop's Crown)
dshlogg (White Bhut)
melissa77754 (Chicken Heart)

Also, thanks to whomever sent me the Zavory, I couldn't remember or find any trace of who it might be, but I know it was one of the fine folks here on The Hot Pepper. Also, thanks to HH Farm on eBay, who was one of the shining beacons of hope for Chili-Heads on that abyss, and provided me with delicious peppers of all kinds, and to whom I owe thanks for the Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habs, as well as the Yellow Bullet Habs, among others.

Stay tuned, everyone, I will have dynamic updates over the course of the year on this thread, right up until final harvests and overwintering processes in probably October. Thanks for checking this thread out!

-Karl

woww! that's such a healthy looking plant!
LOL that's better than my tio plant here at home! I'm jealous!
thanks for doing a feature on it!
that's crazy how well your's is doing!
& noo I don't have a grow log as of now :[
Ima try and do one next year though!

Cool, can't wait to see that coming around next year! What is the climate like in Peru where these grow? Maybe the slightly cooler nights up here in Michigan make a difference in the productivity? Hmm...In any case, I shall be overwintering at least the largest one, if not the others, since they're so productive. I actually decided last night to pick a green pod and do a test of it. They were pretty good even not ripe yet. Little heat, faintly bitter but not like many small/ornamental varieties I've had.

Karl your plants look great especially the pod producers. Can not wait to see that jungle once everything loads up. Great job Karl

Thanks, I am pretty excited! Of course, I expected the superhots to be lagging behind a bit. Next year, I will be amending the soil with some new stuff, such as fish emulsion, and possibly HydroGardens pepper formula or something with a similar profile if that can only be used with hydroponic systems/ProMix, unless I completely overhaul my grow medium next year, which may not be economically feasible to do all at once :(

All right, it's update time! I went out to my garden this morning to check in on the pods, and pollinate any new flowers that opened since last night. Great morning weather in the mid-70s to hang out in the garden! After spending the better part of 2 hours just taking a closer look at the bigger plants, I decided to take some pictures, since it's been 2 months since I took my last picture! Here they are:

First up, here is the aftershot of my extreme pruning of a Jamaican Hot Chocolate plant. It was very bushy and lush, but the leaves were so narrow and weird looking, and there were still no signs of any buds or flowers, that I wanted to give it a fresh start. As you can see in the picture, it has a ton of side shoots, and a thick main stem, but it was looking kind of sad for some time, so I may overwinter it and get a fresh start next spring:

7-9-12-PrunedJamaicanHotChocolateHabaneroplant.jpg

Here are the pictures of the plants that are producing pods now, and there are tons of them now. Some only have a couple small pods, but many are throwing out dozens or hundreds of buds/flowers, and some plants have in excess of 75 pods apiece!

Yellow Bullet Hab:
7-9-12-YellowBulletHabaneropods.jpg

White Bhut:
7-9-12-WhiteBhutJolokiapod.jpg

Tio:
7-9-12-Tiopods.jpg

Red Pimiento:
7-9-12-RedPimientopods.jpg

Red Biquinho:
7-9-12-RedBiquinhoIracemapod.jpg

Purple UFO:
7-9-12-PurpleUFOpod.jpg

Purple Cayenne:
7-9-12-PurpleCayennepod.jpg

Peruvian Purple:
7-9-12-PeruvianPurplepod.jpg

So, there it is! Some are heavy producers, such as: Apache, Cheyenne, Purple Cayenne, Kori Sitakame, Baker's Unknown #2, Tio, Chenzo, Turtle's Claw, and Yellow Bullet Habs. Others are lagging behind, but I am hopeful that most plants will produce at least a pod by season's end.

Here are some more pictures that I couldn't post in the above comment:

Peach Bhut:
7-9-12-PeachBhutJolokiapod.jpg

There are others, but until someone else comments, apparently I can't put any others on this particular topic for now...

Cool, can't wait to see that coming around next year! What is the climate like in Peru where these grow? Maybe the slightly cooler nights up here in Michigan make a difference in the productivity? Hmm...In any case, I shall be overwintering at least the largest one, if not the others, since they're so productive. I actually decided last night to pick a green pod and do a test of it. They were pretty good even not ripe yet. Little heat, faintly bitter but not like many small/ornamental varieties I've had.

same here!
& They grow in Lima, Peru, so it's like a costal climate!
& yeaah maybe!
& sweet man! I'm glad that you like them!
haha niiice! that's good! mine is barely starting to flower this year!

Perfect!

Thanks for stopping in guys, can't wait till I can start spreading the love with ripe pods! Here are the rest of my pictures from yesterday:

Cheyenne:
7-9-12-OrangeCheyennepod.jpg

Meister's Nursery Habanero:
7-9-12-MeistersNurseryHabaneropod.jpg

Kori Sitakame:
7-9-12-KoriSitakamepods.jpg

Elephant's Trunk:
7-9-12-ElephantsTrunkpods.jpg

Chenzo (Wal-Mart seedlings :) ):
7-9-12-Chenzopods.jpg

CGN 21500:
7-9-12-CGN21500pods.jpg

C04392 C.Chacoense buds:
7-9-12-C04392CChacoensebuds.jpg

Baker's Unknown #2:
7-9-12-BakersUnknown2podflowerundershot.jpg

Aribibi Gusano (AKA "Turtle's Claw" or "Caterpillar Pepper"):
7-9-12-AribibiGusanoTurtlesClaworCaterpillarpepperpod.jpg

Yay peppers! I am stoked for these to ripen so I can try out all the new ones, and for a select few, some care packages will be mailed out as well
:D

Purple UFO looks interesting, is it supposed to have a nice taste? Good job on the chacoense... I have one bud appearing too, thought my plant wasn't going to make it...

Aribibi Gusano (AKA "Turtle's Claw" or "Caterpillar Pepper"):
7-9-12-AribibiGusanoTurtlesClaworCaterpillarpepperpod.jpg

This looks so weird, what a funny pepper!

Purple UFO looks interesting, is it supposed to have a nice taste? Good job on the chacoense... I have one bud appearing too, thought my plant wasn't going to make it...

This looks so weird, what a funny pepper!

I've never heard anything about the Purple UFO's taste, I'll let them ripen up to red and see how they be! Yes, the Chacoense has been tough to get a spindly plant, though maybe that's just how they grow. They hate being watered very much, and lose a bunch of leaves if I overwater even a smidge. Also, they are only about 10 inches tall, and very small leaved.

The Aribibi Gusano is really cool, a C.Chinense with 100,000 SHUs of heat, give or take. They only get about 1.5 inches long, and about pencil thickness, and supposedly taste amazing. They're prolific producers, too, so I should have some of those to share in the next month or so. Thanks for ducking in, Geist!

My Aribibi Gusano is being stubborn and refuses to pod up. I think it is to close to the shaded side of my garden. I had never seen a picture of a green one. I had no idea they grow that long and skinny from the start. I figured it would grow out like a little finger. Pictures look great! Looking forward to seeing them all grown up.

Looks great, Karl. How is the Tobago Seasoning doing? The Aribibi Gusano, is that the Red variety? Mine had a hard setback so I'm not sure it will have pods this season, curious if they will turn red again.

My Aribibi Gusano is being stubborn and refuses to pod up. I think it is to close to the shaded side of my garden. I had never seen a picture of a green one. I had no idea they grow that long and skinny from the start. I figured it would grow out like a little finger. Pictures look great! Looking forward to seeing them all grown up.

Yeah, mine really took off once I transferred it to the front of the yard into the fuller sun. I didn't even realize that it had podded up until I sat on the lawn with the plant and began pollinating flowers by hand. That's when I found the one in the picture just peeking out to say hello! Thanks for ducking in, Mike! I'll have to check out your Glog, too! I actually watched a few of your 2010 videos just the other day with that friend of yours, Ronnie. He was a riot to watch as he bit into the Butch T! Great stuff, I can't wait to see some new stuff!

Looks great, Karl. How is the Tobago Seasoning doing? The Aribibi Gusano, is that the Red variety? Mine had a hard setback so I'm not sure it will have pods this season, curious if they will turn red again.

Yo, Stefan! No, that one is actually the "regular" strain, I got the seeds from paulmtonkin last fall, and plopped them in the dirt this year. The red ones, I have 2 very healthy plants that are just now throwing out a bunch of flowers. I will snap some pics and upload them within the next couple of days to show you how they're doing. They look great! Did you get yours from 2gods? He's the one who sent me the seeds for mine, and he's right next door to you in Denmark.

Tobago Seasoning are lagging. One is really small and keeps losing the bottom few leaves. I think the soil has too much peat, and doesn't drain as well. The other one is also small, though it's grown almost 6 inches in the last 2 weeks, so there is some hope I may get a pod or two on it before season's end. Thanks for stopping by!

<p>
Yeah, mine really took off once I transferred it to the front of the yard into the fuller sun. I didn't even realize that it had podded up until I sat on the lawn with the plant and began pollinating flowers by hand. That's when I found the one in the picture just peeking out to say hello! Thanks for ducking in, Mike! I'll have to check out your Glog, too! I actually watched a few of your 2010 videos just the other day with that friend of yours, Ronnie. He was a riot to watch as he bit into the Butch T! Great stuff, I can't wait to see some new stuff!
All my plants are from cross country nurseries this season so i will be reviewing those. It will be nice have some reviews of chiles that anyone can order for themselves . normally their first question is where can i get this pepper and i have to tell them you can't buy it you have to trade for it on THP or CG. May do the first video this weekend. seeing Ron and some friends.. .. they want to do a review. ..hoping ccn scorpions cooperate. they are almost ripe.

Thanks for the update, Karl. Your unknown Chinense is flowering at this moment and has formed 1 pod now. The other plants are outside and the weather is really bad here so no buds open yet but should be any day now. Yeah the red ones I got are from 2gods. They did good but I kinda messed it up due too lack of time. They are now bouncing back but are only 6 inches tall so it's gonna be interesting too see if I even get flowers or pods on them this season. Good luck with the Tobago!

you've got some really intriguing varieties man!
hopefully once you start getting a lotta pods, we can work out a trade or something! ;]

you've got some really intriguing varieties man!
hopefully once you start getting a lotta pods, we can work out a trade or something! ;]

Absolutely, I am always willing to share. I have some people that I promised some pods to first, and of course I will be doing trials of the ones I haven't tried before. I will have plenty by the time this year is up, so I will get back to you with an update.

Here are some new pics I just uploaded tonight, as well. They're of my Red Aribibi Gusano plants. They definitely grow a little differently than the regular type, bigger leaves and wider plant. The regular one grew a ton of side branches, and is really bushy as well, but the branches and leaves are thinner, and the branches grow more upright, giving the plant more of a tree-like appearance than the red.

7-12-12-RedAribibiGusanoflowerscloseshot.jpg

7-12-12-RedAribibiGusanoplantswideshot.jpg

All righty, I'm in a picture mood these days, since the plants are starting to pod up nicely. Here are some I took this morning:

Red Pimiento:
7-16-12-RedPimientopods.jpg

Red Aribibi Gusano:
7-16-12-RedAribibiGusanopods.jpg

Purple UFO:
7-16-12-PurpleUFOpods.jpg

Peach Bhut:
7-16-12-PeachBhutpod.jpg

Elephant's Trunk:
7-16-12-ElephantsTrunkpods.jpg

Congo Orange:
7-16-12-CongoOrangepod.jpg

C04392 C.Chacoense:
7-16-12-C04392CChacoenseflower.jpg

C01225 C.Eximium:
7-16-12-C01225CEximiumpods.jpg

Baker's Unknown #1:
7-16-12-BakersUnknown1stockpileopods.jpg

So, that's it for today. I was floored when I saw how quickly the Baker's plant loaded up with pods, and how big they got so fast! Can't wait to retry them in my own soil, see if they are as hot as Dale's Florida pods, which I doubt!

While us Michigan growers cannot replicate the Florida heat, our peppers do have to be more resilient. So with theirs you may be able to taste the heat, but with ours you can taste the stubbornness. There are some dishes that call for a more stubborn pepper, then those Florida growers will come begging...

While us Michigan growers cannot replicate the Florida heat, our peppers do have to be more resilient. So with theirs you may be able to taste the heat, but with ours you can taste the stubbornness. There are some dishes that call for a more stubborn pepper, then those Florida growers will come begging...

Right on, Andy! I am looking forward to overwintering, but also to growing further generations of the plants I've grown here in the UP. I think that after a few generations, I will have much better luck with some superhots once they tune themselves into the vortex that gives them more wisdom on how to thrive in a cooler climate.

I love the stubborn peppers, and my Pimientos/Rocotos have been stubborn, as well as my Elephant's Trunk, Chacoense, TC07246, Cheyenne, one Bishop's Crown, and Purple Cayenne. All of those ones have survived edema, potential root mold, and sunscorch to come out healthy on the other side! In years to come, I must do a better job hardening off to prevent the scorching, since I lost all three of my CGN 22184 plants because they just weren't cutting it in the sun after weeks outdoors in partial shade...

Back